[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5499783]
Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

They had actually turned it around but then Covid hit at the worst possible time and had a huge impact on the market.

there's a big chicken and egg effect in that you need passenger numbers to bring costs down attract airlines and you need flights to raise passenger numbers. Better carriers and more significant infrastructure spending will only be viable once passenger numbers are significantly raised, so its basically back to square one to try to gradually get them back up again.

If Ryan Air and EasyJet had the same flight destinations going from Cardiff as they do Bristol, they would have literally millions more passengers using Cardiff Airport per year. Something has to be done about encouraging the budget airlines to fly to more destinations in Europe from our airport. I go to Lanzarote three times a year and occasionally Beziers. Every time I fly it means he hassle of flying from Bristol. It really grips my p*ss that I have to do that.
Agree, i love flying from Cardiff, hate Bristol, it's horrible to get there. I have no idea what incentives could be offered by the Welsh Goverment in order to bring low cot airlines to Cardiff. We had Wizz pull out a couple of years back and apparently (Completely anecdotal on my part) the numbers were good. I think that ryanair do a winter route to the canaries from Cardiff, or did until recently.