+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Absolute embarrassment of an airport….newquay airport has more flights I think….jeez. Another WAG legacy on ruining Wales at 20 mph or very slowly……
    If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

They had actually turned it around but then Covid hit at the worst possible time and had a huge impact on the market.

there's a big chicken and egg effect in that you need passenger numbers to bring costs down attract airlines and you need flights to raise passenger numbers. Better carriers and more significant infrastructure spending will only be viable once passenger numbers are significantly raised, so its basically back to square one to try to gradually get them back up again.

All very unfortunate but it doesn't make sense to lay the blame at the welsh government's door.

[QUOTE=Rjk;5499663]If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

They had actually turned it around but then Covid hit at the worst possible time and had a huge impact on the market.

there's a big chicken and egg effect in that you need passenger numbers to bring costs down attract airlines and you need flights to raise passenger numbers. Better carriers and more significant infrastructure spending will only be viable once passenger numbers are significantly raised, so its basically back to square one to try to gradually get them back up again.

If Ryan Air and EasyJet had the same flight destinations going from Cardiff as they do Bristol, they would have literally millions more passengers using Cardiff Airport per year. Something has to be done about encouraging the budget airlines to fly to more destinations in Europe from our airport. I go to Lanzarote three times a year and occasionally Beziers. Every time I fly it means he hassle of flying from Bristol. It really grips my p*ss that I have to do that.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5499783]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

If Ryan Air and EasyJet had the same flight destinations going from Cardiff as they do Bristol, they would have literally millions more passengers using Cardiff Airport per year. Something has to be done about encouraging the budget airlines to fly to more destinations in Europe from our airport. I go to Lanzarote three times a year and occasionally Beziers. Every time I fly it means he hassle of flying from Bristol. It really grips my p*ss that I have to do that.
    I don’t what the figures involved are but Bristol airport owners pay out large sums of money to these carriers in order to ensure they are the preferred regional airport

I doubt WAG have the nous or the balls to go head to head over this.

Anyway I don’t know any aircraft that can take off at 20 mph

If it wasn't for the Welsh government the airport would have closed down years ago.

Agree, i love flying from Cardiff, hate Bristol, it's horrible to get there. I have no idea what incentives could be offered by the Welsh Goverment in order to bring low cot airlines to Cardiff. We had Wizz pull out a couple of years back and apparently (Completely anecdotal on my part) the numbers were good. I think that ryanair do a winter route to the canaries from Cardiff, or did until recently.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5499787]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Agree, i love flying from Cardiff, hate Bristol, it's horrible to get there. I have no idea what incentives could be offered by the Welsh Goverment in order to bring low cot airlines to Cardiff. We had Wizz pull out a couple of years back and apparently (Completely anecdotal on my part) the numbers were good. I think that ryanair do a winter route to the canaries from Cardiff, or did until recently.
    It's easy to get to Bristol Airport from Cardiff. In fact it's not much longer than getting to Cardiif airport anyway, and always much cheaper flights

[QUOTE=Talksport;5500003]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

It's easy to get to Bristol Airport from Cardiff. In fact it's not much longer than getting to Cardiif airport anyway, and always much cheaper flights
    Firstly, I don't live in Cardiff. Secondly, it was much quicker for me to get to Cardiff airport when I lived in Cardiff than get to Bristol airport. Much much quicker! I'd much rather pay slightly more for my flights and go for Cardiff airport, than book cheaper flights and fly from Bristol

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5500011]
    Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post

Firstly, I don't live in Cardiff. Secondly, it was much quicker for me to get to Cardiff airport when I lived in Cardiff than get to Bristol airport. Much much quicker! I'd much rather pay slightly more for my flights and go for Cardiff airport, than book cheaper flights and fly from Bristol
    Hmmm, i'm being quoted yet it's not my post. Anyway, completely agree with you. I pay that little bit more to fly from Cardiff. Much more relaxed.

International

[QUOTE=Talksport;5500003]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

I can get lifts to Cardiff and save on the parking, Bristol has many terrible flight times often ten or more leaving at 6 in the morning. Their security is slow with massive queues, it's a crap airport compared, and sliver zone parking is a rip off, Cardiff run properly should be able to take them on and beat them.

Use your local airport if you can, that's the only way it will survive.

[QUOTE=North Cardiff Blue;5500146]
    Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post

I can get lifts to Cardiff and save on the parking, Bristol has many terrible flight times often ten or more leaving at 6 in the morning. Their security is slow with massive queues, it's a crap airport compared, and sliver zone parking is a rip off, Cardiff run properly should be able to take them on and beat them.

Use your local airport if you can, that's the only way it will survive.
    That's the difference for me. The drive to Cardiff [for me] is probably 20 - 25 minutes quicker than Bristol, so nothing much in it, but parking for a week in Bristol is £100 minimum. A lift there and back is ideal, but even spending £30-£40 each way on a taxi from Cardiff is a better way to start and finish a holiday..

Ryanair and easyJet only operate out of Bristol not Cardiff because Bristol has so many more passengers, so costs are spread over a larger number of flights and they can offer cheaper flights.
    if Cardiff became more cost effective than Bristol then they'd move at the drop of a hat, however I don't think that can just be achieved by lowering fees.
    they need to grow the airport first to get a critical mass of passengers, then they will be able to entice these airlines back.
    this is what they were doing before COVID struck.

International

[QUOTE=Rjk;5499901]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Ryanair and easyJet only operate out of Bristol not Cardiff because Bristol has so many more passengers, so costs are spread over a larger number of flights and they can offer cheaper flights.
    if Cardiff became more cost effective than Bristol then they'd move at the drop of a hat, however I don't think that can just be achieved by lowering fees.
    they need to grow the airport first to get a critical mass of passengers, then they will be able to entice these airlines back.
    this is what they were doing before COVID struck.
    You seem to know your stuff on this, I'll use it every time as long as it's not more than £120 more for two flights/holidays, it is a chicken and an egg, I think they need to discount charges for one airline and one-holiday firm like tui to get things moving.

[QUOTE=North Cardiff Blue;5499926]

You seem to know your stuff on this, I'll use it every time as long as it's not more than £120 more for two flights/holidays, it is a chicken and an egg, I think they need to discount charges for one airline and one-holiday firm like tui to get things moving.
    yeah I'd much rather fly from Cardiff if I can. about £100 more and I'll still consider it .

it used to be a good option for going to the states via Dublin, but the connecting flights don't really work as well any more, so that's better via Bristol as well now