+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Another airline pulls out of Cardiff Airport

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep that sounds about right, they get 10 million already? Jeez I think we were close pre covid too, maybe half, now it’s not even comparable. So short sighted of whoever was in charge not to give Ryan air or easy jet good terms….whats that old saying about speculate to accumulate? No the gulf is so huge nothing will work here. They won’t switch here as they are happy there.
    Might aswell just shut it down and write off another few 100 million
    In the 80's BMI Baby were there, it seemed quite busy for a bit.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bristol Airport cannot expand any further apparently

Cardiff has one of the biggest runways in the UK and has plenty of room for expansion
    It doesn’t matter if the carrier doesn’t want to fly from here.

They’ll go to Exeter or Southampton for example

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    It doesn’t matter if the carrier doesn’t want to fly from here.

They’ll go to Exeter or Southampton for example
    Exeter isn't exactly a thriving aviation hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Exeter isn't exactly a thriving aviation hub.
    And Newquay / Bournemouth .

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And the £9 each way clean air zone charge if your vehicle doesn’t comply. Bet Bristol Airport we’re ecstatic about that.
    Proper socalist city

International

It's a shame it's a much nicer airport than Bristol, but has lost so much ground now I don't think it can ever catch up without some sort of UK grant.

Perhaps if Labour gets in, Gething can ask Starmer for a bit of help, I doubt it but maybe if they could build a big enough case for investment, Welsh Labour seems to prefer green measures over the economy, so he probably would prefer to close it down completely.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's a shame it's a much nicer airport than Bristol, but has lost so much ground now I don't think it can ever catch up without some sort of UK grant.

Perhaps if Labour gets in, Gething can ask Starmer for a bit of help, I doubt it but maybe if they could build a big enough case for investment, Welsh Labour seems to prefer green measures over the economy, so he probably would prefer to close it down completely.
    Just picking up on one point, are you suggesting that green issues only matter as long as the economy is ok? I, for one, get pissed off with the continual kicking of the can for the next generation to sort out. Other countries in the world, more affluent countries than ours seem to combine growth and green measures. Why not us?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just picking up on one point, are you suggesting that green issues only matter as long as the economy is ok? I, for one, get pissed off with the continual kicking of the can for the next generation to sort out. Other countries in the world, more affluent countries than ours seem to combine growth and green measures. Why not us?
    I don't like the idea of Wales making changes losing competitiveness and lowering our standard of living to England, let the Scots do that.

If Welsh Labour want to be green global leaders make it MASSIVE in their manifesto, and see how that goes down with the Welsh public, if any of them can be arsed to read what they are voting for.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...or-says-report

Banner headline like growth for green are fine however at last even Sir Keir knows that just a spend of 1% of our GDP cost approximately £26 billion ,we also know to build that growth on shore say like wind turbines , electric cars, solar power , Zero Emission Boiler , car batteries all of whcih needs manufacturing , manufacturing needs energy that ( now ) has to come form fossil, just for oil type groups fund Labour and around and around we go ,shall we go left or right or just u turn ..

I.d rip up the plan , dig our our fossil reserves , build up our own manufacturing base of for green future world products .

Will we nah , we offshore the manufacturing and hypocritically point the finger at cheap labour countries like India / China for polluting the world

USA go it right frack and dig for fossil , fix the current economy then go for an achievable reduction ,not follow some stupid Ed Miliband chest pounding net zero banner to just attract naive voters

I don't like the idea of Wales making changes losing competitiveness and lowering our standard of living to England, let the Scots do that.

If Welsh Labour want to be green global leaders make it MASSIVE in their manifesto, and see how that goes down with the Welsh public, if any of them can be arsed to read what they are voting for.
    Wouldn't make any difference. Green issues would strengthen the vote of younger people. It is the future, regardless of whether you, or other Tories, like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...or-says-report

Banner headline like growth for green are fine however at last even Sir Keir knows that just a spend of 1% of our GDP cost approximately £26 billion ,we also know to build that growth on shore say like wind turbines , electric cars, solar power , Zero Emission Boiler , car batteries all of whcih needs manufacturing , manufacturing needs energy that ( now ) has to come form fossil, just for oil type groups fund Labour and around and around we go ,shall we go left or right or just u turn ..

I.d rip up the plan , dig our our fossil reserves , build up our own manufacturing base of for green future world products .

Will we nah , we offshore the manufacturing and hypocritically point the finger at cheap labour countries like India / China for polluting the world

USA go it right frack and dig for fossil , fix the current economy then go for an achievable reduction ,not follow some stupid Ed Miliband chest pounding net zero banner to just attract naive voters
    Thought you were in favour of Thatcher closing the mines?

Thought you were in favour of Thatcher closing the mines?
    There are other forms of fossil fuels she only finished off what Harold Wilson had done ,what was the count now

Wouldn't make any difference. Green issues would strengthen the vote of younger people. It is the future, regardless of whether you, or other Tories, like it or not.
    I'm not sure it is, unless the changes are managed well. Green parties generally struggling across Europe at the moment. The transition has to be socially sustainable to succeed, and I think a lot on the green-left, for that is what much of the green movement has morphed into, don't really get that.

International

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm not sure it is, unless the changes are managed well. Green parties generally struggling across Europe at the moment. The transition has to be socially sustainable to succeed, and I think a lot on the green-left, for that is what much of the green movement has morphed into, don't really get that.
    Exactly, it's money and opportunities they want, not green status and more poverty.

Exactly, it's money and opportunities they want, not green status and more poverty.
    I think it's both, and that's fair enough. The problem is that's basically impossible. People have been sold a lie and choices have to be made if they want radical green changes.

It's why so many environmental activists are the classic middle class types; they don't need to worry about housing affordability and the heating bills so much.

Getting Qatar back to Cardiff is vital for any significant growth, passenger numbers were strong and growing and a worthy benefit of avoiding a 3+ hours up to London for a lot of people. I flew Adelaide to Cardiff return for £680 back before Covid with only the 1 stop.

I hate using Bristol airport, it takes me longer to get to/from some of the boarding gates than it does to get back to Wales, I don’t think I’ve seen gates so far from the terminal in any other airport.