+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Be Smart Stay Away From The Alleged Smart Meter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Be Smart Stay Away From The Alleged Smart Meter

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Alternatively, don't be scared of modern technology and get yourself a smart meter, as it'll mean you'd be able to have a tariff that's much lower than someone without one will have.
    True if you are charging a car overnight. My daughter is on Octopus and charges her Tesla for £4.50 at night. 7p a unit? Otherwise, I can't see a big difference in pricing between standard read-it-yourself or smart meter readings. The latter introduced so that people could save money by switching stuff off when not in use...

The real purpose behind smart meters has nothing to do with sparing the consumer the "onerous" task of reading the meter but more to do with the inevitable variable charge rate which is coming down the line. The carrot will be the promise of cheap off-peak electricity but the stick will be the exorbitant charge during peak times which working people will be unable to avoid. This is because the peak times will be deemed to be between 6.00 and 8.00am and 5.00 to 7.00pm. A case of giving with one hand but taking a lot more away with the other. Now where have we heard that before.....?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    True if you are charging a car overnight. My daughter is on Octopus and charges her Tesla for £4.50 at night. 7p a unit? Otherwise, I can't see a big difference in pricing between standard read-it-yourself or smart meter readings. The latter introduced so that people could save money by switching stuff off when not in use...
    Not just for car charging, as they allow you to get tariffs like tracker rates which are linked to wholesale rates and change daily, and are a lot lower than the fixed rates.

its ok