+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Larry Lloyd RIP

Larry Lloyd RIP

Bit of a no nonsense centre half in his day, re-born under Clough at Forest. 75 years old. Sobering when players whose whole career you remember pass on.

Re: Larry Lloyd RIP

Kenny Burns , John Roberston , Tony Woodcock

What an incredible side they were

Football was the real deal back then

Now they are all diving like ponces

Clough’s Forest were an incredible team. A real joy to watch.
    I think they and Ipswich are the only 2 teams in the English game, to have come up from the 2nd tier, and won the top tier title the following season. (Don’t quote me on that though) 😁

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Clough’s Forest were an incredible team. A real joy to watch.
    I think they and Ipswich are the only 2 teams in the English game, to have come up from the 2nd tier, and won the top tier title the following season. (Don’t quote me on that though) ��
    I’d say that’s correct, although Ipswich, under Alf Ramsey, were champions of both divisions whilst Forest were third, if I recall, in their division 2 promotion.
    We actually beat Forest away in their promotion season, and they didn’t lose another home game for bloody ages. They gave us a football lesson at Ninian Park though.

Perhaps not correct. Apparently Liverpool, Everton & Spurs have done it.

Didn't he come back as a manager later on and the crowd in the enclosure rip him a new one after he started arguing or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’d say that’s correct, although Ipswich, under Alf Ramsey, were champions of both divisions whilst Forest were third, if I recall, in their division 2 promotion.
    We actually beat Forest away in their promotion season, and they didn’t lose another home game for bloody ages. They gave us a football lesson at Ninian Park though.

It would be almost impossible to be done in the modern game.

Mind you, if Man City were to be relegated through their supposed 150 mis demeanours, I could see it being done again 😂

Leicester took two seasons, which is probably as remarkable as we'll get nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Leicester took two seasons, which is probably as remarkable as we'll get nowadays.
    👍

I'm know I'm probably looking through rose tinted specs here, but as a 17 year old youth, that Forest side seemed to be the best away team I have ever seen at NP. A 3-0 tonking in November '76 at home and it could have been a lot more from memory. It's also the first time I ever saw a team been given the whole of one end of the ground, in this respect it was the Canton Stand. I can't recall any Forest fans on the Bob Bank which was probably a good idea seeing how many they brought down that day.

I remember them beating us 3-0 at NP that season mate. You are right in saying they gave us a football lesson. They did go up as 3rd place team, behind Chelsea and Wolves. May have been the first season 3 teams went up from 2nd tier to top tier.
    I loved watching them the next season onwards. Lloyd and Burns were on a sort of downwards spiral in their career but Clough and Peter Taylor turned that around with them. R.I.P Larry Lloyd
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm know I'm probably looking through rose tinted specs here, but as a 17 year old youth, that Forest side seemed to be the best away team I have ever seen at NP. A 3-0 tonking in November '76 at home and it could have been a lot more from memory. It's also the first time I ever saw a team been given the whole of one end of the ground, in this respect it was the Canton Stand. I can't recall any Forest fans on the Bob Bank which was probably a good idea seeing how many they brought down that day.
    They were in the enclosure next to canton stand. In them days there was like a terrace on side of Canton that was like an overspill for enclosure. Don't think it had steps as such, but i certainly saw away fans in it back in them days. Wolves, Chelsea and forest among them. The Canton stand was a City end, but a few away fans did get in there and it was not unusual to see. I think season tickets were sold for that end, so city fans defo in there.
    Spedger

Loved that stunt he did, Hanging off the long arm of a clock face on a building.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Loved that stunt he did, Hanging off the long arm of a clock face on a building.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps misreading the thread heading! Every time I log in!

Fraid I had a bit of a blind spot when it came to Larry Lloyd, I just thought he was a donkey centre half who was lucky to have Kenny Burns alongside him. The fact that Lloyd was in the England defence when they got beat 4-1 at Wrexham doesn’t seem a coincidence either.

Brian Clough always used to refer to Lloyd as a big head, but he clearly rated him and he was a regular in the Forest side that won those tournaments, so he must have been better than I was prepared to credit him with being.

RIP

He was an alliteration.

RIP Larry Lloyd.