Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
My big fear if we get a Labour UK Government and they turn out be as big a damp squid as I suspect they will be is that this will lead to a situation where a Reform UK Government becomes a distinct possibility. I really hope that Labour have realised that more of the same will never work, their current support is very soft and will desert them if they really do govern like Reeves and Starmer are currently saying they will.
I think theres some truth in this. Pretty much every major European country currently has a soaring right-wing party. In France, Italy, Austria and Netherlands they lead polls. In Germany, second, in Spain and Portugal they poll highly etc.

UK is quite the outlier at the moment. I know others will disagree but I don't think much will change under Labour, and this is because the problems we have aren't caused by the govt - not helped by them maybe - but they aren't caused by them. So I see no likely change of note as doing what is necessary will just create other issues and I'm not sure Labour have the minerals for it.

That said, I do think and hope better times are ahead but that's because Covid is unlikely to rear itself again and if it did we would never lockdown as before. The shock of the Ukraine war has also passed.

But I do think voters will see only limited changes and will quite quickly grow frustrated with Labour and the chief beneficiaries will likely be Reform, maybe Plaid in Wales I guess the Lib Dems although they are pretty uninspiring all round.