+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sensible Debate , Part Two

Sensible Debate , Part Two

Turnbull

Quality player

If Ramsey was fit , Siopis , Ralls and Wintle and Turnbull would make a good midfield

He gets a dig from some fans because let's be honest the rest of the team are not pulling up trees and Ramsey and Odowda have hardly featured

Re: Sensible Debate , Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Turnbull

Quality player

If Ramsey was fit , Siopis , Ralls and Wintle and Turnbull would make a good midfield

He gets a dig from some fans because let's be honest the rest of the team are not pulling up trees and Ramsey and Odowda have hardly featured
    Am I the only City fan who thinks Siopis is over rated and the sort of player we didn’t need?

As for Turnbull, I’d like to see a bit more of him before coming to a definitive opinion on him, but can anyone say that he’s done anything yet to justify his alleged transfer fee of £2 million or even a quarter of that sum?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Am I the only City fan who thinks Siopis is over rated and the sort of player we didn’t need?
    No. I think Siopis is vastly overrated by many City fans simply because he runs around a lot. His passing is woeful for a midfielder at this level. His work rate is admirable and his ability to win possession is commendable, but it’s usually a waste of time as he so often gives the ball straight back to the opposition. To say he lacks composure is putting it kindly.

I’ve got no firm opinion on Turnbull. He’s shown very little in his ten appearances so far, but he’s playing under a manager who is ridiculously negative and defensive, so it’s probably not fair to judge him just yet.

In a team so devoid of pace Bulut buys one of the slowest players since Joe Mason. You can see his quality as one of the few players that appears to take the ball no matter how many players are around him. But, with Colwill or Ramsey up there with him, we can forget any serious press.

I think Bulut thought Siopis would be a defensive midfielder but found he doesn't have the time and simply gets overpowered in the championship. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved over the summer. I think he and Ralls work as two sitters but with that, your full backs need to be attacking but ours rarely cross halfway.

Turnbull has been underwhelming for me, not to say he’s a bad player I just think he’s along the lines of what we already have, like the others he lacks pace and physicality. Maybe under another manager he makes more of an impact, in our current set up I don’t see enough in him to play as a 10 or in the 2 sitting.

As for Siopis he can be very good and equally as terrible. I think the post above is spot on, he’s decent alongside Ralls but alongside Wintle he’s just chasing shadows all game and we lose all shape.

Despite us signing Turnbull and Siopis, midfield is still an area we struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No. I think Siopis is vastly overrated by many City fans simply because he runs around a lot.
    In fairness to Sludge, Willie Boland did exactly the same and he was Sludge's hero!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

As for Turnbull, I’d like to see a bit more of him before coming to a definitive opinion on him, but can anyone say that he’s done anything yet to justify his alleged transfer fee of £2 million or even a quarter of that sum?
    As for Turnbull, it would be interesting to see him in a more attack minded line up.

There's a family fun day at the stadium on Wednesday between 10am-2pm where the players will be training. My nearly 11-year-old reckons that "defensive training will run between 10:00am and 1:59:59pm; attack training will be in the final second".

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In fairness to Sludge, Willie Boland did exactly the same and he was Sludge's hero!
    We don't need another hero

Thunderdome !

Turnbull is a disappointment if we really paid £2million for him! He has hardly made a huge impression.

Siopsis is like Steve Lynex runs around a lot which impresses the fans but actually contributes very little. Sorry showing my age there..

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Turnbull is a disappointment if we really paid £2million for him! He has hardly made a huge impression.

Siopsis is like Steve Lynex runs around a lot which impresses the fans but actually contributes very little. Sorry showing my age there..
    Thats too far. Lynex was utter shit. Siopsis is a decent player.

I'm undecided on Turnbull. Maybe we could try him in a dual 10 role with Ramsey or Colwill but this manager is never going to do that.

No. I think Siopis is vastly overrated by many City fans simply because he runs around a lot. His passing is woeful for a midfielder at this level. His work rate is admirable and his ability to win possession is commendable, but it’s usually a waste of time as he so often gives the ball straight back to the opposition. To say he lacks composure is putting it kindly.

I’ve got no firm opinion on Turnbull. He’s shown very little in his ten appearances so far, but he’s playing under a manager who is ridiculously negative and defensive, so it’s probably not fair to judge him just yet.
    Against Ipswich Siopis' pass completion rate was 87% [Sofa Score].

StT.
    <><

Siopis is a workhorse

Does all the dirty work to enable others to shine

In our case that's supposed to be Ramsey who's out injured and colwill , Tanner and bowler who all need to shape up in my opinion

If siopis or ralls or Wintle mess up it can be curtains whereas the forward runners often get out of jail

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Against Ipswich Siopis' pass completion rate was 87% [Sofa Score].
    Wonderful. What about the rest of the season? Or have my eyes been deceiving me?

Wonderful. What about the rest of the season? Or have my eyes been deceiving me?
    Siopis's stats generally make for good reading as a defensive midfielder. He's ranked 4th in terms of passing accuracy and 3rd for tackles won. However, he doesn't rank well for being dribbled past, has made more errors that have led directly to an opponent's shot than anyone else and offers nothing in any creative way.

83.% accurate passes for the 2023-2024 season. [Sofa Score]

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    83.% accurate passes for the 2023-2024 season. [Sofa Score]
    Fair enough. If Sofa Score says so, my eyes must have deceived me. Because I think his passing is woeful. A absolute joke at times for a midfielder at this level. He probably has good stats for his frequent three yard passes, but I’d love to know how they are over ten yards or more.

Fair enough. If Sofa Score says so, my eyes must have deceived me. Because I think his passing is woeful. A absolute joke at times for a midfielder at this level. He probably has good stats for his frequent three yard passes, but I’d love to know how they are over ten yards or more.
    His mid range passing is more accurate (89.2%) than his short range, however fbref defines mid and short passing.

I'm with you, though. I don't see much in him.

For 2023-2024 season:
    Accurate passes in his own half ... 89%
    Accurate passes in the opposition half ... 76%
    [Sofa Score]

StT.
    <><

For 2023-2024 season:

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

Quality of play: garbage

(TLG on his sofa)

As an avid reader of this forum, I think TOBW has said for seasons all our midfielders are "samey" with tiny nuances

Ralls is destructive with a lob over the full-back as his signature (Warnock) pass
    Wintle is destructive, better at defending head-on, with a sideways or backward continuity pass as his goto
    Siopis is destructive, a thief ratting around the midfield with a sideways short pass as his signature

If you then add in four defend-first defenders and wide "forwards" who double up with the full-backs,you have to feel for those carrying any "attack"

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    As an avid reader of this forum, I think TOBW has said for seasons all our midfielders are "samey" with tiny nuances

Ralls is destructive with a lob over the full-back as his signature (Warnock) pass
    Wintle is destructive, better at defending head-on, with a sideways or backward continuity pass as his goto
    Siopis is destructive, a thief ratting around the midfield with a sideways short pass as his signature

If you then add in four defend-first defenders and wide "forwards" who double up with the full-backs,you have to feel for those carrying any "attack"
    Add in Adams and Rinomhota who are both under contract with us for next season. Eli King was playing at the back for us in pre season and has always struck me as more of a defensive midfielder than an attacking one.

For 2023-2024 season:

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

Quality of play: garbage

(TLG on his sofa)
    That’s a change in direction after questioning his passing lol.

In your opinion have you ever been wrong and can you provide examples, because it’s impressive how correct you are.. in your opinion. My favourite thing is how you quote part of posts to promote your point.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    In your opinion have you ever been wrong and can you provide examples, because it’s impressive how correct you are.. in your opinion. My favourite thing is how you quote part of posts to promote your point.
    Like most people I’ve been wrong on countless occasions. The best example I can think of was Vincent Tan’s rebrand. Firstly, I didn’t believe any football club owner would be stupid enough to do something like that on a whim, but I was wrong. Secondly, I didn’t believe for a second that the vast majority of Cardiff City fans would willingly surrender their club’s identity in exchange for Malaysian money, but I was hopelessly wrong on that one too.

As for quoting posts, I only quote the bits I’m either taking issue with or directly addressing. I don’t see the point in quoting entire posts if you have nothing to say about the majority of what has been written. Doing so is pretty dumb in my book.

As for Siopis, if his passing really is of a high standard then I must have been watching someone else. As a rule he contributes next to nothing in an attacking sense and he frequently gives the ball away if he’s attempting to pass it more than a few yards. That’s the Siopis I’ve been seeing since he arrived here. But if some obscure stats website says differently and people want to believe he’s good on the ball, then fair enough.

Like most people I’ve been wrong on countless occasions. The best example I can think of was Vincent Tan’s rebrand. Firstly, I didn’t believe any football club owner would be stupid enough to do something like that on a whim, but I was wrong. Secondly, I didn’t believe for a second that the vast majority of Cardiff City fans would willingly surrender their club’s identity in exchange for Malaysian money, but I was hopelessly wrong on that one too.

As for quoting posts, I only quote the bits I’m either taking issue with or directly addressing. I don’t see the point in quoting entire posts if you have nothing to say about the majority of what has been written. Doing so is pretty dumb in my book.

As for Siopis, if his passing really is of a high standard then I must have been watching someone else. As a rule he contributes next to nothing in an attacking sense and he frequently gives the ball away if he’s attempting to pass it more than a few yards. That’s the Siopis I’ve been seeing since he arrived here. But if some obscure stats website says differently and people want to believe he’s good on the ball, then fair enough.
    Move on people say. But that exact thing (highlighted) broke the spell for me. I'm still angry about it.