+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a cure......?

Is there a cure......?

.....for being a Cardiff City fan? Help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is there a cure......?

No.
    Terminal i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    There was always that quote. You can change everything in life, just not your football team. I always believed that right up to Vincent Tan's rebrand. I don't now have another team, but I've become a football tourist that still likes watching us (but without the same passion) and enjoys watching other teams too. So, there probably is a cure if you're looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    There was always that quote. You can change everything in life, just not your football team. I always believed that right up to Vincent Tan's rebrand. I don't now have another team, but I've become a football tourist that still likes watching us (but without the same passion) and enjoys watching other teams too. So, there probably is a cure if you're looking for one.
    Was chatting about this very thing yesterday Peter. I like the idea a lot tbh. Reading about some of yours and TBG's travels to various grounds is something I feel I 'd enjoy. I did quite a bit of it 'back in the day' but since coming back to Cardiff I'm finding myself in a rut.

Great advice.

tbh i moved from Cardiff when i was 18. I have now lived more in the country where i reside than the the 18 years.
    So tbh i really shouldn't give a toss, but i do

Was chatting about this very thing yesterday Peter. I like the idea a lot tbh. Reading about some of yours and TBG's travels to various grounds is something I feel I 'd enjoy. I did quite a bit of it 'back in the day' but since coming back to Cardiff I'm finding myself in a rut.

Great advice.
    You are a dyed-in-the-wool City fan, and you know you are, and always will be. Like me. If you ever fancied a cheeky little promiscuous look across the fence, to - say - the Bundesliga I can highly recommend it though!

Hello, my name's Undercoverinwurzelland, and I'm a Bluebirds addict.

No. There's no cure.

Just stop supporting BulutFC or any other manager above your team. You'll soon realise these phoneys are the reason for the bad symptoms in your affliction

No cure needed as it's City till we die

This is where I'm coming from.
    I was brought up on a diet of good football in the old Div 1 watching Pompey from the age of six. It helped that I played at Fratton Park. Although they dropped to Div 2, they still were still a good watch and every other Saturday, I saw Southampton in the days of Paine, Sydenham and Davies. It was rare to come away from a game without a feeling of enjoyment and satisfaction.
    I moved from Portsmouth to Pontpool when I was 21. My future wife and I started watching Ponty from the terrace and again enjoyed the entertainment in the days of the Pontypool Front Row, Jeff Squire, Mark Ring, Bishop etc.
    I stopped watching live sport when I moved to Cardiff when I was 24. Other activity came first.
    I started attending City games when Malkie was a manager because it was affordable entertainment and the football was decent. I became a ST holder and was especially excited (even thrilled) in the early Warnock days until the Slade era because I would watch the dross and yawn. I just stopped going.
    I still watch City regularly on streams but there is so much better football available on TV that I prefer to watch that - often watching Pompey again this season.
    I'm sure some of you lovable peeps will stick me in a box and label me, but for me it's simple. I just enjoy watching football and have a vague loyalty to the team of my youth and the city where I've spent most of my life. I won't go to CCS again until the team is worth watching. Tan has blown two golden opportunities of bringing Premiership football to Cardiff for whatever reason. In both the seasons City were there they had a decent chance of staying up and consolidating, but decisions made off the pitch poisoned the well.
    The cure for moi is to decide what good football matches I want to watch. At the moment, it's all on TV.

It’s for life but you can definitely wean oneself off as the years go by and you find better things to do, or things you prefer to do as you get older and perhaps more picky with where you spend your precious time and money. The current regime is not for me, nor is the dull defensive football so I don’t go….

The last few seasons of home games are about as close as you can get. For me it's no longer enjoyable to watch so I'm much more selective as to which games I attend in person.

Great advice.
    I don't usually base my travel around going to grounds abroad but I try to take in a game and any local musical experiences when there.
    However, a few years ago I was making a beeline to specifically to see both Inter Milan and Bergamo one weekend, only for the onset of Covid to intervene with a few days to go.

In the old days it was mates in the pub discussing the game so any depression lasted as long as the pub session

Now we have a virtual pub where you have more people every day making the same point over and over so it feels worse because so much of it is negative - look how busy it is when we lose compared to when we win - that's how I see it and it works for me 🤔😂

I've not been able to go a game since December and won't be back until next season and have missed it so much - can't wait to go back 👍

No.

Never supported anyone else, 35+ years and no sign of a cure, it's a long, terminal, painful disease.

But the occasional bouts of joy and hope make it worthwhile, or that's what i keep telling myself.

No cure at all

Probably not but I think Bulut is having a good go at finding one.

Its not supporting Cardiff City that you need a cure for its letting it bother you.

Just stop giving a **** about it. You can still support them just come to the realisation they'll never be in the top 4 of domestic football and be happy you have somewhere to go with mates to watch some people kick a bag of air around.

You'll find yourself happier in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Its not supporting Cardiff City that you need a cure for its letting it bother you.

Just stop giving a **** about it. You can still support them just come to the realisation they'll never be in the top 4 of domestic football and be happy you have somewhere to go with mates to watch some people kick a bag of air around.

You'll find yourself happier in no time.
    Yeah, you're right. It might be shit football, but it's "our" shit football.

A gentleman may change wives but never one's football club.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I came to this realisation years ago and felt all the better for it.

I support my local league team that I'm involved in with more fervour now so need to make that step again.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    My position is close to this. If be lying if I said things felt the same after the rebrand. I am simply less invested in the importance of results, although I love going down with my kids, enjoy away days a few times a season etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It’s always been our shit football, stadium and owners as long as I can recall. We are allowed to moan about it all. I don’t accept it from others though, I find myself defending the club all of a sudden particularly if I’m talking to a Liverpool fan from llanederyrn for example.

Cracking replies!

I do love the idea of a CCFC addicts meeting. We'd have to organise an intervention for Maurice though if he's in denial!

Edit: it'll probably end in a mass brawl!