Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
I've repeated myself enough on this, but for me it's about progress.

Positives this season:

If a game is close, we often find a way to get a result. We're ok at coming back from behind, away from home at least. We're good at winning games late on. We have been good at scoring from set pieces.

Negatives this season:

Pointless passing. Less creativity than previous seasons. Worse defensive record. Slow starts to games. Often too negative.

Some stats:

Defeats by 2 or more goals:
2019/20: 5
2020/21: 4
2021/22: 8
2022/23: 9
2023/24: 11

Wins by 2 goals or more:
2019/20: 8
2020/21: 10
2021/22: 4
2022/23: 5
2023/24: 4

This season, for me at least, has rarely ever felt like one where we might be challenging for the playoffs. Finishing in the top 6 a season after finishing 21st is pretty rare in itself, so statistically I never really thought that was on in any case.

There's no doubt there's good spirit within the squad, they battle well for each other in tight games. That's no more evident than set pieces, where a number of those goals scored have been from second balls where we've shown a bit more hunger than the opposition in their own penalty area.

However, this season has felt quite attritional at times. That battling ability has been the reason we're in the top half, not our footballing ability. Yes, we've got some duds in our squad, not all Bulut's signings have been that good, but the defensive tactics haven't helped us at all. Trying to be more defensive has seen us lose more games convincingly than we've seen in recent seasons. We had a go at Coventry on Monday and got something from it. All too often we haven't had a go and surrendered quite meekly.

If what we saw at Coventry, and earlier in the season, is Bulut's blueprint for next season, I'd be happy for him to stay. If it's going to be the attritional battling and hoping for set pieces because we haven't got a clue what to do in the final third, then he can go.
I wouldn't bother wasting your time Eric. A good post that will get the usual response by the usual posters.

For me its simple, you get to the point in life where there are more important things to devote your time to and if the football isn't giving you something in return like entertainment, excitement, getting your off your seat then I don't see why I'd give up my time.
Years ago I didn't care how we won, I just wanted to see us climb up from league 2 and didn't care how we did it, after 2 pops at the PL I don't really care if we get there again, bonus if we do but I'd rather enjoy going to games.

My daughter came for a while it was lovely to share that with her, inevitably she got bored, I gave up 2 ST and we did other things on the weekend, we still do. I have convinced her to come Saturday but I am not hopeful of entertainment. We have been awful at home.

Given the choice what would you pick on a Saturday? A day with a loved one or a day wondering if you'll score or even reach over double figures in shots attempted watching Wintle a DM play in an attacking role as the ball moves around the grass at a snails pace. They hardly make an effort, why should I?