+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Merthyr investigating racist remarks towards Hungerford player

Merthyr investigating racist remarks towards Hungerford player

Re: Merthyr investigating racist remarks towards Hungerford player

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I am reminded of the incident at Reading a few years ago where we were accused of racial and homophobic chanting. Headline news across all media, yet no evidence ever produced. even the SWP at the game didnt know what is what about, so I'd hold off making comment until there's actual evidence.

No racial abuse. They were booing said player because of an incident at Farnborough a couple of seasons when he played for them and a Merthyr fan was nearly killed. There was a fight involving both sets of fans and players from Farnborough got involved. Said player was with two of his mates after the game who attacked Merthyr fans with baseball bats and one of them threw a big piece of paving slab at the head of a Merthyr fan and knocked him clean out.

The group of supporters who allegedly shouted the abuse are extremely left wing, there is no way they would shout racial abuse.

Apparently someone shouted "you brick chucking tw@t" at the the player and thats whay they think has been misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No racial abuse. They were booing said player because of an incident at Farnborough a couple of seasons when he played for them and a Merthyr fan was nearly killed. There was a fight involving both sets of fans and players from Farnborough got involved. Said player was with two of his mates after the game who attacked Merthyr fans with baseball bats and one of them threw a big piece of paving slab at the head of a Merthyr fan and knocked him clean out.
    Did the player get charged over this Farnborough incident

I would hope SWP would look at wether or not this was the factor in any abuse , racial or otherwise ?

Things can easily get misconstrued.

I remember going to Gillingham years ago. They had an ex-Jack (name escapes me) playing for them, who also happened to be black.
    He had possession of the ball close to the corner flag and the end where the City fans were housed.
    The inevitable... "You Jack bastard" was directed at him. The Gillingham fans to our left were livid. No prizes for guessing what they 'thought' we were chanting.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Did the player get charged over this Farnborough incident

I would hope SWP would look at wether or not this was the factor in any abuse , racial or otherwise ?
    The player didnt, I believe his mates did along with a couple of Merthyr fans who were involved in the fight. This wasnt your average handbags outside the ground (although the original incident started inside rhe ground), its lucky someone wasnt killed. Spoke to a few people who were there, not football "lads" in the slightest, and they said it was a very scary situation.

Having just listened to the Hungerford managers interview he's clearly a decent bloke

Two things from this are that firstly he says racial abuse has happened at Merthyr before ? Is that correct ? I havnt heard of a problem there

Secondly if the player was given the bird over a previous incident then wether or not that's acceptable was it racial abuse ?

Terry Phelan the mixed race player from Manchester City said that the worst racial abuse he ever experienced was at Cardiff City in the fa cup tie when he said he was called a black bastard the whole game

Apparently on seeing this interview cardiff fans contacted him to say it was you jack bastard he was being called after his time with Swansea city

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I remember going to Gillingham years ago. They had an ex-Jack (name escapes me) playing for them, who also happened to be black.
    He had possession of the ball close to the corner flag and the end where the City fans were housed.
    The inevitable... "You Jack bastard" was directed at him. The Gillingham fans to our left were livid. No prizes for guessing what they 'thought' we were chanting.
    See below

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The player didnt, I believe his mates did along with a couple of Merthyr fans who were involved in the fight. This wasnt your average handbags outside the ground (although the original incident started inside rhe ground), its lucky someone wasnt killed. Spoke to a few people who were there, not football "lads" in the slightest, and they said it was a very scary situation.
    Verbally abusing players , giving them the bird , taunts are wether we like it or not part of the game

Racially abusing someone is understandably at the top of that list but it appears he may well have been subject to less than friendly banter rather than criminal abuse

If that's the case I would imagine this will blow over but it's not good for the reputation of Merthyr as mud sticks

I think that Hungerford manager jumped in with both feet there

Having just listened to the Hungerford managers interview he's clearly a decent bloke

Two things from this are that firstly he says racial abuse has happened at Merthyr before ? Is that correct ? I havnt heard of a problem there

Secondly if the player was given the bird over a previous incident then wether or not that's acceptable was it racial abuse ?

Terry Phelan the mixed race player from Manchester City said that the worst racial abuse he ever experienced was at Cardiff City in the fa cup tie when he said he was called a black bastard the whole game

Apparently on seeing this interview cardiff fans contacted him to say it was you jack bastard he was being called after his time with Swansea city
    Ive not heard of any and hes been asked to qualify those comments by the club. Its not the first time theyve booed the player they were booing him at the away game too.

Whilst its undeniable there are racists in the valleys, as there are everywhere, the core support at Merthyr are a good bunch. There is quite a bit of anti-english chanting at away games so dont know if he means that.

Verbally abusing players , giving them the bird , taunts are wether we like it or not part of the game

Racially abusing someone is understandably at the top of that list but it appears he may well have been subject to less than friendly banter rather than criminal abuse

If that's the case I would imagine this will blow over but it's not good for the reputation of Merthyr as mud sticks

I think that Hungerford manager jumped in with both feet there
    Theres a local councillor from the next valley over who was stood where the racial abuse was alleged to have taken place and he said there was no racist abuse. He said hes willing to speak to the authorities about it as, like you said, mud sticks.

This was a prominent story on BBC Wales news last night. I'm not sure what we gain from the reports, and certainly not until they investigate it a little more.

Was there any racist abuse shouted? Seems not. Is it a major story if one person shouts it? I'm not sure. It's a serious issue for the person(s)involved for sure, but national news?

We are hyper fixated on this at the moment. What's the end result? People feel that racism is worse than it is? A club and fans stuck with a reputation? How many will be interested to know that nothing actually happened? How prominent will the reports on what happened be?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

Happened at home once against Stoke I think when sidibe played for them

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This was a prominent story on BBC Wales news last night. I'm not sure what we gain from the reports, and certainly not until they investigate it a little more.

Was there any racist abuse shouted? Seems not. Is it a major story if one person shouts it? I'm not sure. It's a serious issue for the person(s)involved for sure, but national news?

We are hyper fixated on this at the moment. What's the end result? People feel that racism is worse than it is? A club and fans stuck with a reputation? How many will be interested to know that nothing actually happened? How prominent will the reports on what happened be?
    I personally think that racist abuse should be dealt with very seriously

However the issue here appears to be that whilst this player got a mouthful it wasn't racially motivated

So I think that if that's the case then appropriate statements .....ie we got it wrong .....should be made

If I was a Merthyr fan I would be pissed off if my club was accused of racist behaviour that didn't happen

International

That's true, I would imagine there is far less racism than ever before but some people are making it sound worse than it is, but that also applies to many things.

International

I personally think that racist abuse should be dealt with very seriously

However the issue here appears to be that whilst this player got a mouthful it wasn't racially motivated

So I think that if that's the case then appropriate statements .....ie we got it wrong .....should be made

If I was a Merthyr fan I would be pissed off if my club was accused of racist behaviour that didn't happen
    What is going to happen in Scotland at the old firm matches with hate crimes everyone could say they are being abused.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That's true, I would imagine there is far less racism than ever before
    Far less is still too much. That goes for any discrimination due to skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion etc. We should never stop calling people out for this until the day arrives where there is no discrimination at all and everyone is free to be who they are. I don't believe there is any fixation on this, more that people aren't afraid to stand up to arseholes who discriminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Far less is still too much. That goes for any discrimination due to skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion etc. We should never stop calling people out for this until the day arrives where there is no discrimination at all and everyone is free to be who they are. I don't believe there is any fixation on this, more that people aren't afraid to stand up to arseholes who discriminate.
    Surely that goes for any crime though? Burglaries ruin lives. I know my mum and dad were burgled before I was born. They moved cities as a result. She said the fear of having her home violated stayed with her for life. So any crime is one too many.

But that doesn't mean things should be reported as something if they arent. Racist abuse is understandably ranging from upsetting to devastating to victims but if it hasn't happened all we are doing is amplifying the pain, no? It's like reporting a crime that hasn't happened. Theres no benefits to that whatsoever.

There's an interesting article here (there's many others) that list references to racism in four US media outlets since the 1970s, with an explosion in it whilst actual racism by almost any metric reduces.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/media-great-racial-awakening

Racism is awful and intolerable but we don't need the media inflaming it when it hasn't even happened.

International

Surely that goes for any crime though? Burglaries ruin lives. I know my mum and dad were burgled before I was born. They moved cities as a result. She said the fear of having her home violated stayed with her for life. So any crime is one too many.

But that doesn't mean things should be reported as something if they arent. Racist abuse is understandably ranging from upsetting to devastating to victims but if it hasn't happened all we are doing is amplifying the pain, no? It's like reporting a crime that hasn't happened. Theres no benefits to that whatsoever.

There's an interesting article here (there's many others) that list references to racism in four US media outlets since the 1970s, with an explosion in it whilst actual racism by almost any metric reduces.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/n...cial-awakening

Racism is awful and intolerable but we don't need the media inflaming it when it hasn't even happened.
    How about this?

Has anyone been arrested for calling Welsh People sheep shaggers?

Should they?

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...e-Canton-Stand

How about this?

Has anyone been arrested for calling Welsh People sheep shaggers?

Should they?

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...e-Canton-Stand
    Well it's a good question isn't it. I obviously don't think so, but its hard to justify how it's acceptable under laws and culture that many seem to want.

That's true, I would imagine there is far less racism than ever before but some people are making it sound worse than it is, but that also applies to many things.
    Well i don't know about you but I am white so I have no direct experience of racism

I don't think it's possible to say there is far less racism about these days without backing that up with figures

And of course a lot of racist abuse isn't reported

This situation seems to be an understandable reaction from the manager of a black footballer to what appeared like racist abuse

But it appears that wasn't the case

I would hope this is sorted out but that doesn't mean that the world has gone politically correct and racism shouldn't be dealt with

Well i don't know about you but I am white so I have no direct experience of racism

I don't think it's possible to say there is far less racism about these days without backing that up with figures

And of course a lot of racist abuse isn't reported

This situation seems to be an understandable reaction from the manager of a black footballer to what appeared like racist abuse

But it appears that wasn't the case

I would hope this is sorted out but that doesn't mean that the world has gone politically correct and racism shouldn't be dealt with
    Personally I don't disagree with anything here. My issue is that the BBC jump ahead of itself talk about it as a major story when there is no actual evidence that anything has been said or done. It doesn't help anyone or anything. This hyper fixation on the topic is unhealthy. If racism is bad (and it is) then why are we making a big deal out of something that it seems likely hasn't even happened. If it impacts upon people, then maybe collectively we should stop and wait a bit before making out it's rife everywhere.

This utterly preposterous story about Connor Gallagher today too - allegedly being racist. Most ridiculous story ever but pumped online by people who, it seems increasingly clear to me, have an agenda.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68724701
    The result is that he gets a load of abuse.

Mental.

Personally I don't disagree with anything here. My issue is that the BBC jump ahead of itself talk about it as a major story when there is no actual evidence that anything has been said or done. It doesn't help anyone or anything. This hyper fixation on the topic is unhealthy. If racism is bad (and it is) then why are we making a big deal out of something that it seems likely hasn't even happened. If it impacts upon people, then maybe collectively we should stop and wait a bit before making out it's rife everywhere.

This utterly preposterous story about Connor Gallagher today too - allegedly being racist. Most ridiculous story ever but pumped online by people who, it seems increasingly clear to me, have an agenda.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68724701
    The result is that he gets a load of abuse.

Mental.
    I think the BBC reporting a possible issue of racial abuse is definitely newsworthy

From time to time things unravel and in this case should the alleged incident be found to be nothing to do with the racial origin of the Hungerford player ......and from information posted on here it appears that it wasn't a racist incident then we should hope that the BBC, the Hungerford manager etc accept a mistake was made

If Merthyr town and its fans want to take that further it would be perfectly understandable

But this angle that complaints of racism have gone too far these days blah blah blah are a red herring as if a black player is verbally abused racism is often behind it and it needs to be investigated

Just in the last few months Wednesday fans have been looked into regarding monkey gestures at an opposition player

It's not political correctness gone mad etc , it happens

Some of the racist crap broadcast by a Cardiff City fan on social media .....now banned .......against a Swansea player last season was embarrassing

I think the BBC reporting a possible issue of racial abuse is definitely newsworthy

From time to time things unravel and in this case should the alleged incident be found to be nothing to do with the racial origin of the Hungerford player ......and from information posted on here it appears that it wasn't a racist incident then we should hope that the BBC, the Hungerford manager etc accept a mistake was made

If Merthyr town and its fans want to take that further it would be perfectly understandable

But this angle that complaints of racism have gone too far these days blah blah blah are a red herring as if a black player is verbally abused racism is often behind it and it needs to be investigated

Just in the last few months Wednesday fans have been looked into regarding monkey gestures at an opposition player

It's not political correctness gone mad etc , it happens

Some of the racist crap broadcast by a Cardiff City fan on social media .....now banned .......against a Swansea player last season was embarrassing
    I'm not saying it's "political correctness gone mad". Racially abusing someone is a serious matter. Im just saying the media currently gives it enormous coverage which, I would say, is out of proportion with what's happened, or in this case has seemingly not happened at all.

And as discussed elsewhere, I'm not convinced putting such stories front and centre every time any allegation is made (with no proof) helps improves race relations at all. If anything, it's probably made a few people of colour think..well, I don't want to go and visit Merthyr any time soon", and that just entrenches segregations which is the opposite to what we all should want.

Just an overreaction in my opinion. The media should wait a few days.