+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubin Has Had His Chances

Rubin Has Had His Chances

Looked at some stats ..

22 / 23 he played 26 games ,

23 / to date has played 36 times

Since Jan 21 played 58 times and scored 6 goals in all competitions .. inc Welsh full Internationals not U21 ??

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/p...&season_id=155

This makes interesting reading https://footystats.org/players/wales/rubin-colwill , seems to say he is a good dribbler and crosser ,hasn't provided many assists

Average City wage is 880 euros , Rubin allegedly on half of that 446 ???

https://m.aiscore.com/salary/player-...rkn6in92w6i0ql

Market value is £ million

Rubin Colwill is a Midfielder who has appeared in 32 matches this season in Championship, playing a total of 1362 minutes. Rubin Colwill gets an average of 0 assists for every 90 minutes that the player is on the pitch. See how they rank against other Championship Players.

Rubin Colwill scored a total of 1 goals so far this season in the Championship ,places him at 11th in the Cardiff City squad's Top Scorers list.

Scores a goal every 1,362 minutes , No Assists, No Bookings

For me should have done or shown more with the opportunities handed to him at such a tender age

Re: Rubin Has Had His Chances

It’s a witch hunt.

Yes.

I don't understand why, either.

Give the boy some encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes.

Go on Rubin, You can do it.

Oh great, another Colwill thread

Can we start some kind of counter?

International

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes.

He's still got plenty of time, he has some talent and he is improving, he can learn from Ramsey who I hope will do some coaching here and with a few better players next season will hopefully come on leaps and bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

You'd be all over it if he was playing really well on a serious note, yup, it's nonsense, there's nothing more to say that hasn't already been said.

Not his biggest admirer, but we're going to need a Rubin Colwill dedicated alternate forum at this rate. Pretty sure there hasn't been an original thought posted about him on either side for weeks now.

Disappointingly it seems to be the way for some.
    Put down your own .
    Looks something special to me , the fact he has come through the ranks is a Brucey bonus .
    But fill your boots .

I think a loan is clearly the way.
    He’s clearly got a lot of ability but seems so clumsy with the fundamentals.

We all want him to do well, but I don’t see him improving here as things stand.

I feel for anyone in our team who is not a goalie or central defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Put down your own .
    Looks something special to me , the fact he has come through the ranks is a Brucey bonus .
    But fill your boots .
    This. Haters got to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    This. Haters got to hate.
    I’m not sure that he fits into the haters category
    He has been compared to Peter Whittlingham ffs.

The fact is, he’s not done enough with the opportunities that he’s been given.
    If he had, this discussion wouldn’t be happening especially given our lack of quality on the ball.

As I said, send him on loan and see if he becomes a player.

Being the token striker or creator in modern day Cardiff teams is a tough, perhaps impossible job. A target man type striker is stuck up front by himself with no support except for the token creator sometimes and, especially under this manager, a pair of “wingers” who are told to play in a manner that most wouldn’t recognise as wing play of the sort we grew up watching. The striker barely gets a cross to feed off from open play and yet is told score us twenty goals a season.

It’s similar with the player saddled with the team’s creativity who is told it’s up to you to provide the service for our striker to score the majority of his twenty goals a season. Who has been a successful creator in City teams in the fairly recent past? Nearly twenty years ago, Jason Koumas was, but I’d argue that we were a different type of team back then - for a start we had what I’d call proper wingers and he had two strikers to work with much of the time.

Harry Wilson actually had a twenty goal a season in his team to work with, but I think his stay here has to be seen as a failure because the target was very much the top six in 20/21 and by the end of the season there were times when Mick McCarthy was leaving him on the bench - Wilson rather falls into the too good for the Championship, but not good enough for the Premier League group, but if he struggled anyway in the Championship, it was at Cardiff, why was that I wonder?

The only player in the modern era who successfully carried the weight of the teams creativity on his shoulders was Lee Tomlin for a few months during 19/20 under Neil Harris - Tomlin was the biggest single reason why we made the Play Offs that year, but before and after Harris he was a bit part player here and I would say that was because NMessts Warnock and McCarthy never trusted him.

I’m trying to give up Rubin Colwill threads in the same way others try to give up smoking, so I’ll just say that, like all players of his type who have represented modern day Cardiff City teams, he has been set a very high bar because the outlook under nearly all of our recent managers has been so defensive from open play - others who are better than Colwill have tried to clear that bar and not succeeded.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think a loan is clearly the way.
    He’s clearly got a lot of ability but seems so clumsy with the fundamentals.

We all want him to do well, but I don’t see him improving here as things stand.
    Could he go to Wrexham on loan and become famous?

Put down your own .
    But fill your boots .
    Bang on the money, imagine if all that negativity was turned into positive support
    A few years ago we used to have a clown sat near us that shouted out at Whitts on a regular basis for not tackling enough 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Being the token striker or creator in modern day Cardiff teams is a tough, perhaps impossible job. A target man type striker is stuck up front by himself with no support except for the token creator sometimes and, especially under this manager, a pair of “wingers” who are told to play in a manner that most wouldn’t recognise as wing play of the sort we grew up watching. The striker barely gets a cross to feed off from open play and yet is told score us twenty goals a season.

It’s similar with the player saddled with the team’s creativity who is told it’s up to you to provide the service for our striker to score the majority of his twenty goals a season. Who has been a successful creator in City teams in the fairly recent past? Nearly twenty years ago, Jason Koumas was, but I’d argue that we were a different type of team back then - for a start we had what I’d call proper wingers and he had two strikers to work with much of the time.

Harry Wilson actually had a twenty goal a season in his team to work with, but I think his stay here has to be seen as a failure because the target was very much the top six in 20/21 and by the end of the season there were times when Mick McCarthy was leaving him on the bench - Wilson rather falls into the too good for the Championship, but not good enough for the Premier League group, but if he struggled anyway in the Championship, it was at Cardiff, why was that I wonder?

The only player in the modern era who successfully carried the weight of the teams creativity on his shoulders was Lee Tomlin for a few months during 19/20 under Neil Harris - Tomlin was the biggest single reason why we made the Play Offs that year, but before and after Harris he was a bit part player here and I would say that was because NMessts Warnock and McCarthy never trusted him.

I’m trying to give up Rubin Colwill threads in the same way others try to give up smoking, so I’ll just say that, like all players of his type who have represented modern day Cardiff City teams, he has been set a very high bar because the outlook under nearly all of our recent managers has been so defensive from open play - others who are better than Colwill have tried to clear that bar and not succeeded.
    Spot on Bob! Very well and eloquently put. You echo my sentiments exactly. In the right Championship team Colwill would be an excellent player

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

We need a sub forum for pointless Colwill threads like this

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Bang on the money, imagine if all that negativity was turned into positive support
    A few years ago we used to have a clown sat near us that shouted out at Whitts on a regular basis for not tackling enough ��*♂️
    It wasn't Bulut, was it ????

Put down your own .
    But fill your boots .
    I think you're missing the point a bit. It came up last season in one of the thousand other Colwill threads that part of the issue is the youngsters get massively overhyped on here (I've been guilty of this in the past) and these type of threads are a reaction to it.

The fans always seem to be behind the youngsters at games and want them to do well, it's just a message board issue to me. There'll be a reaction when Cian Ashford finally gets a league run out too. The way he's getting talked about on here people are going to be expecting Messi.

One other quick thing about Colwill, and any other maverick player whether young or not. TOBW mentioned Tomlin earlier and he is an incredibly hard act to follow here. In that 2019-20 season he had 9 goals and 10 assists in 35 Championship games and he wasn't playing the 90 minutes for most of them. So many times I've said to my eldest about Colwill 'he's not Tomlin' but it's not fair for a number of reasons. Tomlin spoilt us all that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It wasn't Bulut, was it ????

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I think you're missing the point a bit. It came up last season in one of the thousand other Colwill threads that part of the issue is the youngsters get massively overhyped on here (I've been guilty of this in the past) and these type of threads are a reaction to it.

The fans always seem to be behind the youngsters at games and want them to do well, it's just a message board issue to me. There'll be a reaction when Cian Ashford finally gets a league run out too. The way he's getting talked about on here people are going to be expecting Messi.

One other quick thing about Colwill, and any other maverick player whether young or not. TOBW mentioned Tomlin earlier and he is an incredibly hard act to follow here. In that 2019-20 season he had 9 goals and 10 assists in 35 Championship games and he wasn't playing the 90 minutes for most of them. So many times I've said to my eldest about Colwill 'he's not Tomlin' but it's not fair for a number of reasons. Tomlin spoilt us all that season.
    This is exactly how i see it. Young players are overhyped, and maybe those who take exception to those who analyse Colwill's game in a way that doesn't fit their point of view should show some caution when making judgements over a young player who is still developing both physically and mentally, you'd have thought that they had watched enough football over the years to understand that things don't always work out the way they think they will concerning developing players. So it's them who put the pressure on by being loud and garish when a little bit of caution needs exercising.

Take a look at how emotive some of the posts are in this thread. 'Haters' 'One of our own' that's just deflection really, it's meaningless, and it doesn't address any of the issues raised about Colwill.

We have had countless threads on Colwill, but nothing of substance in my opinion. The posters who feel the need to defend him don't really give good reason as to why some aspects of his game seems a bit flawed on times, and those who are critical just pick up on the obvious things that we all sort of knew already, so there's no balance from either side, battle lines are drawn and it gets emotive.

Colwill sure does have ability. Great technique, that's certain. But in my opinion he lacks vision and composure, there have been several occasions this season where he has been in very good positions and he has fluffed his lines, snatching at the ball, pulling it wide etc. Then he produces what i think is the best cross i've seen from a city player this season (Against Blackburn-The one we didn't score from) The technique, weight, pace and where he put it was all majestic. Yet we don't have thee kinds of debates, it's either the managers fault, the formation, the players around him, or that people just hate him. Absolutely ridiculous and child like. I've no doubt all those things i've listed can and do hinder him as a player, but they aren't an excuse for his poor decision making, his poor technique at crucial times and his lack of awareness on times. That's on him, and i'll also say this, with better players comes more expectation and less tolerance, things actually become more difficult, the same way it would for us lot if we were thrown in with people who expected more from us, higher standards and no excuses. By that logic Kion etete would do better for Liverpool or Man City that he does with us because there would be a supply. As we know, that's nonsence, he'd be three seconds behind those players in thinking.

His tricking of the Bristol City defenders before banging in that goal to win the home game this season showed what he can do

He's obviously got talent

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is exactly how i see it. Young players are overhyped, and maybe those who take exception to those who analyse Colwill's game in a way that doesn't fit their point of view should show some caution when making judgements over a young player who is still developing both physically and mentally, you'd have thought that they had watched enough football over the years to understand that things don't always work out the way they think they will concerning developing players. So it's them who put the pressure on by being loud and garish when a little bit of caution needs exercising.

Take a look at how emotive some of the posts are in this thread. 'Haters' 'One of our own' that's just deflection really, it's meaningless, and it doesn't address any of the issues raised about Colwill.

We have had countless threads on Colwill, but nothing of substance in my opinion. The posters who feel the need to defend him don't really give good reason as to why some aspects of his game seems a bit flawed on times, and those who are critical just pick up on the obvious things that we all sort of knew already, so there's no balance from either side, battle lines are drawn and it gets emotive.

Colwill sure does have ability. Great technique, that's certain. But in my opinion he lacks vision and composure, there have been several occasions this season where he has been in very good positions and he has fluffed his lines, snatching at the ball, pulling it wide etc. Then he produces what i think is the best cross i've seen from a city player this season (Against Blackburn-The one we didn't score from) The technique, weight, pace and where he put it was all majestic. Yet we don't have thee kinds of debates, it's either the managers fault, the formation, the players around him, or that people just hate him. Absolutely ridiculous and child like. I've no doubt all those things i've listed can and do hinder him as a player, but they aren't an excuse for his poor decision making, his poor technique at crucial times and his lack of awareness on times. That's on him, and i'll also say this, with better players comes more expectation and less tolerance, things actually become more difficult, the same way it would for us lot if we were thrown in with people who expected more from us, higher standards and no excuses. By that logic Kion etete would do better for Liverpool or Man City that he does with us because there would be a supply. As we know, that's nonsence, he'd be three seconds behind those players in thinking.
    Was thinking all the way through reading the post that Etete was having a bit of a break from proceedings……and you had to go and spoil it at the death

What does this mean?

"Average City wage is 880 euros , Rubin allegedly on half of that 446 ???"