Working from home ……………….🏡

Anything else ?

Re: Post Covid - positives from it

Hybrid all the way

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Working from home ……………….🏡

Anything else ?
    The biggest negative of the lot! Although the option to do it sometimes is useful.

People will have their own personal circumstances but as a society I cannot think of a single positive thing Covid has bought us.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The biggest negative of the lot! Although the option to do it sometimes is useful.

People will have their own personal circumstances but as a society I cannot think of a single positive thing Covid has bought us.
    I always thought if a job can be done at home then it can be done by AI one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I always thought if a job can be done at home then it can be done by AI one day.
    And done by someone in India or elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Unfortunately many of the decision makers on such matters live in nice big houses with spare rooms converted to offices and spent their younger careers learning from in-person only to pull the ladder up with not a care for those in less suitable home surroundings.

And done by someone in India or elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Unfortunately many of the decision makers on such matters live in nice big houses with spare rooms converted to offices and spent their younger careers learning from in-person only to pull the ladder up with not a care for those in less suitable home surroundings.
    The benefit of pooling knowledge and ideas is severely restricted when the workforce is ensconced in their own private spaces. A natter across the office can be so rewarding for all and sundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The benefit of pooling knowledge and ideas is severely restricted when the workforce is ensconced in their own private spaces. A natter across the office can be so rewarding for all and sundry.
    I totally agree. From my experience the younger people coming through, those who work 4-5 days a week at home anyway are getting a significantly rawer deal than generations before them. They simply aren't picking up the knowledge, overhearing the conversations, sharing ideas and engaging, professionally and socially as much as they should. And that goes for all of us tbh, as we are always developing as people.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    says who ?

I work better and more productive whilst in my own space

Teams calls to USA after 5pm is the norm for me working on Projects with modern technology should be embraced where applicable

Fully aware it's not for all but Hybrid working suits me . Home 2 days in work 3 days perfect

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    says who ?

Teams calls to USA after 5pm is the norm for me working on Projects with modern technology should be embraced where applicable

Fully aware it's not for all but Hybrid working suits me . Home 2 days in work 3 days perfect
    says me . You spend 75% of you home office time wanking into sock. There are statistics to prove this but i would have to call your mum...again

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    says who ?

I know exactly what you mean being more productive on one's own and it's especially true if you are experienced in your job.
    However, we also learn from others and bouncing ideas around often results in us thinking more outside our own narrow parameters. Similarly, discussions on here can involve posters adding information to a debate that we would have otherwise been unaware of.
    It depends on the job, of course

I totally agree. From my experience the younger people coming through, those who work 4-5 days a week at home anyway are getting a significantly rawer deal than generations before them. They simply aren't picking up the knowledge, overhearing the conversations, sharing ideas and engaging, professionally and socially as much as they should. And that goes for all of us tbh, as we are always developing as people.
    AI will be a far bigger threat to our ability to engage than working from home is.

Similarly, interdisciplinarity will be negatively impacted by Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    And jobs done from the work place cannot be?

Posted in error.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And jobs done from the work place cannot be?
    I can't see AI rewiring my electrics, but maybe they can send a robot around?

Interesting. Labour know that mass WFH is destroying the public sector. Seems they may try to change it when in power?

"Labour Shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves tells workers to get back to the office" -ITV

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-04-09/...-to-the-office