+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hull’s third goal - bad luck or a shambles?

Re: Hull’s third goal - bad luck or a shambles?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Nothing unlucky about that goal. I can't blame Phillips as he was passing on instructions so it's mainly Ralls' fault for not being aware of what was going on before kicking the ball and Bulut and the coaches for dictating that we often play backwards instead of looking to attack from dead ball situations.
    Yup, I agree entirely!

It was a shambles and speaks volumes that Ralls' instinct to keep the game moving with us just having got back in the game was out of synch with his teammates. WTF was Bulut thinking to be passing instructions to his centre backs when we are back in the game and the opposition are having a wobble!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Seems I’m in a minority of one on here and I’m playing Devil’s Advocate to a degree.
    Ralls was careless, that's pretty much it. He'll hold his hands up, I'm sure, but he didn't do it on purpose, I can't say I see it as a sacking offence but it's all about opinions.

Nothing wrong with passing it back or sideways in that situation. Do you remember our winner against Bristol City in the Academy game recently? I said at the time that Twose would've been slated if he'd passed the initial free kick backwards in a first team game and this thread bears it out. Grant was the only player ahead of Ralls and he was well covered, as was Wilson-Esbrand on the touchline to his left. Going right was the way to go but he should've looked first.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Ralls was careless, that's pretty much it. He'll hold his hands up, I'm sure, but he didn't do it on purpose, I can't say I see it as a sacking offence but it's all about opinions.

Nothing wrong with passing it back or sideways in that situation. Do you remember our winner against Bristol City in the Academy game recently? I said at the time that Twose would've been slated if he'd passed the initial free kick backwards in a first team game and this thread bears it out. Grant was the only player ahead of Ralls and he was well covered, as was Wilson-Esbrand on the touchline to his left. Going right was the way to go but he should've looked first.
    Well if there’s no one in front of him, wait until there are. Is it that hard?

Bad luck? It was a huge mistake, and should not be happening at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Well if there’s no one in front of him, wait until there are. Is it that hard?
    Surely even Warnock wouldn't have had us launching a Hail Mary from there with half an hour left? Maybe he would.

I'll put this Academy clip up for anyone who's interested. As a bit of context, we've just thrown away a two goal lead against top of the table Bristol City and the game is now in injury time. We win a free kick about 10 yards nearer to goal than yesterday's. Twose has got players ahead of him here or he can wait for the centre-halves to come up so he can 'get it in there'. He does neither. He rolls it backwards, and towards the touchline, to a centre-half. Fifteen seconds later the ball is in the net (at the right end though).

I'm always wary of comparing Academy games to the Championship but I think it's ok here. Probably things Bristol could've done better just as I'm sure there are things we could've done better for Hull's second yesterday. Obviously, the issue is why we can't produce build-ups like this at first team level.

The goal comes at around 2.43.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/video/player/0_d451qlty

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Would Joe have made that pass with Warnock in charge?

Of course not. It was time to reset get it close the their penalty box and win the second ball. We do not have the finesse to open a can of beans with a tin opener let alone a championship defence.....Its just pointless coaching by numbers.

We could also add Goutas' mistake that led to Sunderlands pen as pointless back passes that leads to absolutely nothing
    You can add the Watford goal at CCS to that list as well , needless pass back to Alnwyck who miscontrolled the ball and gave them a tap in

Shambles (it looks like school boy defending).

Plus, if we were the lucky recipients of such a gaffe I can guarantee that the striker (probably Grant) would miss the target.

Surely even Warnock wouldn't have had us launching a Hail Mary from there with half an hour left? Maybe he would.

I'll put this Academy clip up for anyone who's interested. As a bit of context, we've just thrown away a two goal lead against top of the table Bristol City and the game is now in injury time. We win a free kick about 10 yards nearer to goal than yesterday's. Twose has got players ahead of him here or he can wait for the centre-halves to come up so he can 'get it in there'. He does neither. He rolls it backwards, and towards the touchline, to a centre-half. Fifteen seconds later the ball is in the net (at the right end though).

I'm always wary of comparing Academy games to the Championship but I think it's ok here. Probably things Bristol could've done better just as I'm sure there are things we could've done better for Hull's second yesterday. Obviously, the issue is why we can't produce build-ups like this at first team level.

The goal comes at around 2.43.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/video/player/0_d451qlty
    Yes, but if Phillips had picked up the pass from Ralls he would have played it back to the keeper who would have kicked it up the field where it would have been picked up by Hull and led to an attack or it would have gone out for a Hull throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bad luck? It was a huge mistake, and should not be happening at this level.
    Did you see the sideways pass at Manure today

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve just done my blog and came down on the side of bad luck, but I’m already having doubts.
    Both, if we'd stayed composed we looked most likely to get the next goal and were in the ascendancy, that's football it was a mistake and it bad luck that went to Phlogene and it cost us a goal, we had a bit of good luck in the game before, we need to forget about it and on to the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Yes, but if Phillips had picked up the pass from Ralls he would have played it back to the keeper who would have kicked it up the field where it would have been picked up by Hull and led to an attack or it would have gone out for a Hull throw in.
    I get the point, as I do about a lot of the criticism, but I reckon we might want to be a bit careful what we wish for if Bulut goes. Just my opinion, of course, but if we replace him with a manager who thinks it's a good idea to launch free-kicks into the box from our own half with 30 minutes left then we may as well turn the lights off, lock up and call it a day.

I just found that Academy clip interesting. Twose has been with us for 10 years. I think it's an interesting insight into how our kids are coached if they get a free kick there at 2-2 in injury time and roll it backwards to a centre half in the left back position. I accept it's naive and unrealistic for now but I'd like to see the first team produce what happened in the next 15 seconds at some point. Hope springs eternal.

Shambles lack of concentration

I get the point, as I do about a lot of the criticism, but I reckon we might want to be a bit careful what we wish for if Bulut goes. Just my opinion, of course, but if we replace him with a manager who thinks it's a good idea to launch free-kicks into the box from our own half with 30 minutes left then we may as well turn the lights off, lock up and call it a day.

I just found that Academy clip interesting. Twose has been with us for 10 years. I think it's an interesting insight into how our kids are coached if they get a free kick there at 2-2 in injury time and roll it backwards to a centre half in the left back position. I accept it's naive and unrealistic for now but I'd like to see the first team produce what happened in the next 15 seconds at some point. Hope springs eternal.
    Listen to Loramski.

A rare source of objective common sense.