+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: BIRMINGHAM CITY 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: BIRMINGHAM CITY 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Nice link up between Colwill and Bowler after a little tiff a few minutes before
    An unfit and overweight Bowler couldn’t be bothered to get to a ball from Colwill near the goal line. I’m not surprised Colwill gave him jip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    An unfit and overweight Bowler couldn’t be bothered to get to a ball from Colwill near the goal line. I’m not surprised Colwill gave him jip.
    A bit unfair...Just he was using his kicking foot to stand on so was flummoxed. How a championship winger can be sooooo one footed it crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well don Colwill, according to a mate of mine he was the difference. Credit where it's due, well done to him. Do we credit Bulut as well, because when Colwill performs poorly it always eems to be the fault of Bulut, or the other players. So,well done Bulut.......
    Game changer Tuerto. Dropping into space, and displaying a full repertoire of touches, one-touch passing, flicks, backheels, cross field range passes, ball in behind the back four. Didn’t waste a ball and most of it forward. An absolute game changer.

I also think Ramsey’s value is beyond his playing time. I have noticed that Colwill is always opening his body up now on receipt of the ball, so he always has “full field vision” and less back to goal. This is allowing him to see more to use his skills more effectively. So he is spinning less with his back to goal, and playing “side on” more. That is elite class stuff and I think it must be Rambo teaching him.

Those are the little thinga that tell me he is going to have a very big season next year, providing he plays more, and we have a faster 9 who can get behind more. If Bulut hires Kieffer Moore or a aimilar big 9 who can also sprint behind, I don’t think Bulut is that far off. I keep beating the drum on this - Colwill’s value to the team shoots up if we increses the willing runners behind. Isaak Davied and Cian Ashord could play in this team, with a fast 9 central, and Colwill pulling the strings. He also needs two central midfielders behind him who are more mobile to cover the ground, and get up and down to add speed to counter attacks.

It is the slow 9 and the two slow centre-mids in Wintle, Ralls, Rinomota and the like, that mean we cannot make the most from Colwill.

On the continent in Spain and Italy Colwill would thrive. We need three more players in, to make Colwill take the piss in this league. Oddly, I think with the speed of the Welsh forwards and Ampadu, as it stands, Colwill would look more effective at international levels than with us. He is just one of those players you need to build the team around.

For an example in our division, watch how Thomas-Asante creates havoc when he plays 10 for WBA. Sure he is quick, but WBA play three quick ones up top that allow him to find three options for runners. Once we understand that and do it, we will realise we have a Welsh Jari Litmanen. Colwill could be that good, I think. Amazing skillsets.

Game changer Tuerto. Dropping into space, and displaying a full repertoire of touches, one-touch passing, flicks, backheels, cross field range passes, ball in behind the back four. Didn’t waste a ball and most of it forward. An absolute game changer.

I also think Ramsey’s value is beyond his playing time. I have noticed that Colwill is always opening his body up now on receipt of the ball, so he always has “full field vision” and less back to goal. This is allowing him to see more to use his skills more effectively. So he is spinning less with his back to goal, and playing “side on” more. That is elite class stuff and I think it must be Rambo teaching him.

Those are the little thinga that tell me he is going to have a very big season next year, providing he plays more, and we have a faster 9 who can get behind more. If Bulut hires Kieffer Moore or a aimilar big 9 who can also sprint behind, I don’t think Bulut is that far off. I keep beating the drum on this - Colwill’s value to the team shoots up if we increses the willing runners behind. Isaak Davied and Cian Ashord could play in this team, with a fast 9 central, and Colwill pulling the strings. He also needs two central midfielders behind him who are more mobile to cover the ground, and get up and down to add speed to counter attacks.

It is the slow 9 and the two slow centre-mids in Wintle, Ralls, Rinomota and the like, that mean we cannot make the most from Colwill.

On the continent in Spain and Italy Colwill would thrive. We need three more players in, to make Colwill take the piss in this league. Oddly, I think with the speed of the Welsh forwards and Ampadu, as it stands, Colwill would look more effective at international levels than with us. He is just one of those players you need to build the team around.

For an example in our division, watch how Thomas-Asante creates havoc when he plays 10 for WBA. Sure he is quick, but WBA play three quick ones up top that allow him to find three options for runners. Once we understand that and do it, we will realise we have a Welsh Jari Litmanen. Colwill could be that good, I think.

Amazing skillsets. He is a 10, tailor made for a 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1 or a 3-5-2 system

Our insistence on having a blocking midfield as opposed to a championship-paced one has hindered our play all over the field for 5 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

For an example in our division, watch how Thomas-Asante creates havoc when he plays 10 for WBA. Sure he is quick, but WBA play three quick ones up top that allow him to find three options for runners. Once we understand that and do it, we will realise we have a Welsh Jari Litmanen. Colwill could be that good, I think.

Amazing skillsets. He is a 10, tailor made for a 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1 or a 3-5-2 system
    I don't share your enthusiasm, although he has undoubted ability, that's for sure. I'll tell you what he can do that others can't, and it's a natural gift, he can play with his head up, he doesn't have to look at the ball when he's in possession. That's a very rare gift and something that can't be taught.

I've been critical of him, and in my opinion it's justified. I've never criticised him for his inability to tackle, head a ball, track back and press (although he really works hard at two aspects of the game) He's not that player, never will be. When i have been critical it's been about individual errors, poor judgement and a lack of composure, and that's on him. Like his performance this evening is on him, he created, he performed, he showed composure, he made good decisions, all credit to Colwill, and not Bulut, because he can't make him do those individual things that make a difference, in the same way (Bulut) he doesn't make him make poor decisions, lack of composure etc...You get my drift. Yet people blame bulut when colwill doesn't perform and they exonerate Colwill of any blame. So, shouldn't Bulut receive praise for Colwill's performance this evening if we're going to blame him when things go wrong? Of course we shouldn't, because Bulut has nothing to do with individual elements of brilliance, in the same way he has nothing to do with a player making basic errors. Problem is that people have an agenda and they just can't be honest, because they're biased or dig their heels in and find it difficult to give credit.

Well done Rubin, you made the difference, we need more though. Lets hope it continues. Credit to him.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Our insistence on having a blocking midfield as opposed to a championship-paced one has hindered our play all over the field for 5 seasons

I mentioned before that I’m trying to give up Colwill threads, but didn’t he show at times tonight that he can do positive, constructive things on the ball that no one else in first team squad can?

Been critical of Turnbull but thought he was alright when he played. I’d love to see him start there with Colwill as 10. Time to roll the dice with Ashford and Tanner now.

As for Diedhiou, Jesus Christ . He’s very possibly up there with the worst players we’ve signed in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Been critical of Turnbull but thought he was alright when he played. I’d love to see him start there with Colwill as 10. Time to roll the dice with Ashford and Tanner now.

As for Diedhiou, Jesus Christ . He’s very possibly up there with the worst players we’ve signed in decades.
    Turnbull is a good player

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Turnbull is a good player
    I also like Turnbull. With a full pre season training and a season of settling in I think the chap will be fine.

Whisper it. It took Firmino a season to settle in at Liverpool. People also forget that Ronaldo was abused for half a season as a “stepover one trick pony with no end product”. That looks stupid now.

Some players just take longer to settle in, and these aren’t players on Championship Manager whose data is good so they all immediately transfer wellto another team. Turnbull is a nice technical player. I think he’ll be OK.

International

Good game, Cowlill was amazing when he got going and was the stand out forward player but for the first fifteen minutes of the second half we were under pressure. Then he got going and some really good touches and movement, as said Ashford looked confident, Turnbull also made a difference.

Goutas and Phillipd were outstanding, fighting for everything and blocking like mad, well done Bulut another solid away win, one nil to the Bluebirds!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    In fairness to Bowler when the ball's played up to him invariably the nearest City player is 20yds away.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I mentioned before that I’m trying to give up Colwill threads, but didn’t he show at times tonight that he can do positive, constructive things on the ball that no one else in first team squad can?
    Maybe I'm warming to him a bit. The goal shows what an influence play like that can have on other players, in this case Bowler. I doubt he would have busted a gut to get on the end of a return pass from Wintle, Ralls or Siopis..

His judgment and composure would surely improve with increased playing time, stability of team selection and familiarity with team mates. His errors are possibly due to him expecting team mates to make runs that never happen. I've rarely seen him hit an overhit, underhit or wayward pass plus adventurous players tend to give the ball away more than safe players who only pass sideways or backwards.

My one criticism of Colwill is his lack of goals for someone of his ability.

Having said that Colwill never strikes me as flustered when given the ball under pressure. He's one of the few who can actually deal with it in that situation.

In one of the upcoming meaningless games, where neither team can be promoted or relegated, I'd like to see him play in the 10 with Tanner and Ashford in attacking roles. There's little point in playing attacking loan players unless we plan to sign them permenantly in the summer so lets start building a team this season around those who will definitely be here next season in games where the result, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter.

For me Colwill is still the only midfield player we have who demands the ball, drives us forward and actually looks to create anything rather than forcing it upfield to a winger and then wondering why nothing happens when the nearest player is 20 yards away.

To be fair Ramsey was that player early in the season and he is quite likely still slowed from injuries but since coming back he hasn’t been able to do it. He was completely anonymous in the first 45 minutes last night like the rest of our midfield.

It took Colwill a bit to get going and there were even the usual grumbles that he wasn’t running around enough, but once he got settled in and we even brought on a few other players like Ashford and Turnbull who are forward thinking it looked like a totally different team. No reason not to give it a go the rest of the season similarly, but I would expect from Buluts comments on Ashford we will see some variation of the side that started again next time.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Maybe I'm warming to him a bit. The goal shows what an influence play like that can have on other players, in this case Bowler. I doubt he would have busted a gut to get on the end of a return pass from Wintle, Ralls or Siopis..
    yes having someone driving forward with the ball makes it a lot easier for players to make runs and lose their markers. if the midfield is static then the defence has a far easier job.
    Jordon Mutch did that pretty effectively for us during our promotion season.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I also like Turnbull. With a full pre season training and a season of settling in I think the chap will be fine.

Whisper it. It took Firmino a season to settle in at Liverpool. People also forget that Ronaldo was abused for half a season as a “stepover one trick pony with no end product”. That looks stupid now.

Some players just take longer to settle in, and these aren’t players on Championship Manager whose data is good so they all immediately transfer wellto another team. Turnbull is a nice technical player. I think he’ll be OK.
    Jesus.

He came on with 9 mins to go when we are leading 1-0 against a team in the relegation zone.

He is mediocre at very VERY best. He doesn’t DO anything. He is a waste of a squad place. Compare his contribution to that of Colwill or Ramsay. Or anyone in fact.

Another plus was Collins last night. Thought he did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

What is the sense in playing him ahead of our youngsters at this stage of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    What is the sense in playing him ahead of our youngsters at this stage of the season?
    That did seem pointless.