+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at the national league- many of our 90s and 00s rivals in it

Re: Looking at the national league- many of our 90s and 00s rivals in it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No chance

We would get far lower away support than we have in the Championship

Leeds , Swansea , Bristol City , Birmingham , Sunderland , West Brom , Coventry , Leicester , Ipswich have boosted our gates by at least 1500 on the occasions they have visited both our home attendance and away team numbers would drop

Cardiff City fans are incredibly fickle .....always have been

We like the big games .....no problem getting big crowds once in a while .....but a relegation to league one would see a big decline in gates , and the quality of football will be just one of the excuses not to attend

When we were in the basement last time we would get an occasional big crowd .....Burnley, Shrewsbury .....but the rest of the season would be poor

In fact sides like Plymouth had far better support than us at the same level , even Bristol Rovers
    You're stuck in the eighties though Sludge, just like I was stuck in the early seventies when I used to say we'd average 25,000 in the old First Division. The difference between us is that while I'm prepared to recognise my mistake, you aren't. To be fair, a reason you can't is that you do not have the precedent to draw on that I do - I was proved wrong when we averaged 30,000 plus while getting relegated in 18/19 and there were some games where the gates could have been higher if the ground was big enough. We've not played in the lower divisions for twenty one years and so it's hard to know for sure what attendances would be, but precedents from the time you like to refer to show that our gates increased in the third tier after a relegation.

For example, we averaged 9,143 in getting relegated from the old Second Division in 74/75 and 11,702 in being promoted from the third tier a year later. In 81/82, we went down to Division Three with average crowds of 5,574 and were promoted twelve months later averaging 7,036. Of course, when our relegation from the second division was followed by another one to the Fourth like it was in 84/85 and 85/86 crowds fell by a third, but they rose by more when we were promoted to the third tier in 87/88 - in fact, our average when being relegated from the second tier in 84/85 (4,363) was twenty seven fewer than we averaged in getting promoted from Division Four in 87/88.

The overwhelming conclusion to be drawn from this is that in the era your opinions are based on, crowds increased following relegations if they were quickly followed by better results and, inevitably, more enjoyable football. I see no reason to believe this has changed in an era where football is much better attended than it was then and an increase in gate size of around twenty five per cent following a season when a club has been relegated is to be expected if they are doing well at the lower level.

Your opinions were formed at the time when gates were, generally speaking, as low as they've ever been in my lifetime - it's different now, for a start you get far more women and families going now than you did forty years ago when you had a Government and media that despised and demonised those who went to football matches.

https://www.european-football-statis...nengleague.htm

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You're stuck in the eighties though Sludge, just like I was stuck in the early seventies when I used to say we'd average 25,000 in the old First Division. The difference between us is that while I'm prepared to recognise my mistake, you aren't. To be fair, a reason you can't is that you do not have the precedent to draw on that I do - I was proved wrong when we averaged 30,000 plus while getting relegated in 18/19 and there were some games where the gates could have been higher if the ground was big enough. We've not played in the lower divisions for twenty one years and so it's hard to know for sure what attendances would be, but precedents from the time you like to refer to show that our gates increased in the third tier after a relegation.

For example, we averaged 9,143 in getting relegated from the old Second Division in 74/75 and 11,702 in being promoted from the third tier a year later. In 81/82, we went down to Division Three with average crowds of 5,574 and were promoted twelve months later averaging 7,036. Of course, when our relegation from the second division was followed by another one to the Fourth like it was in 84/85 and 85/86 crowds fell by a third, but they rose by more when we were promoted to the third tier in 87/88 - in fact, our average when being relegated from the second tier in 84/85 (4,363) was twenty seven fewer than we averaged in getting promoted from Division Four in 87/88.

The overwhelming conclusion to be drawn from this is that in the era your opinions are based on, crowds increased following relegations if they were quickly followed by better results and, inevitably, more enjoyable football. I see no reason to believe this has changed in an era where football is much better attended than it was then and an increase in gate size of around twenty five per cent following a season when a club has been relegated is to be expected if they are doing well at the lower level.

Your opinions were formed at the time when gates were, generally speaking, as low as they've ever been in my lifetime - it's different now, for a start you get far more women and families going now than you did forty years ago when you had a Government and media that despised and demonised those who went to football matches.

https://www.european-football-statis...nengleague.htm
    We are a statistical outlier

Even when Rick Wright had his amazing deals on we won 4 on the trot played the fifth game and had a lower crowd than the previous two

Only at Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Even down to Nat League south

I have just got my tickets for Bath FC V Torquay

Torquay entered administration this week

When people moan on here, it makes me smile, as things are not that bad
    Plus: Aldershot, Rochdale & Kidderminster

Next level down:

Torquay, Yeovil, Hereford, Maidstone, Scarboro, Darlington, Scunthorpe, Chester, Boston, Southport
    Rushden are still around somewhere as are Macclesfield & Bury
    Probably others I’ve missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's an interesting stat that, whenever we have dropped into the third tier, we've had better crowds when we've been going for promotion from the third tier than we did in being relegated.

I'd be interested to know why our crowds in the early 1970s halved from 1971 to 1973. It must have been more than just selling Toshack, more like going from a side that finished 3rd and just missed out on promotion, to a side avoiding relegation for a couple of seasons. The 70s and 80s were also a period of decline in attendances. Wolves went from an average of nearly 26k in 1980 to 4k in the third division 6 seasons later, yet had 14k in the same division 3 years later when they won it. I don't think it helped us that we were relegated at a time when the game across the UK was in such decline and our hooligan issues won't have encouraged others.

Our crowds have been more consistent over the last decade or so than probably at any other time in our history. We know we can virtually sell out our ground in the Premier League. Give us a season of decent football and challenging properly for the playoffs and we'll get well over 20k. There's not a shred of evidence to suggest our crowds would be decimated if we were relegated and had a good season the following year. In fact, most clubs get bigger crowds in the third tier if they're doing well than they did when they were relegated.
    In relation to the bit around challenging for the playoffs the season we got promoted to the prem under Warnock only 8 times we exceeded 20k for games - most of which you would expect - villa wolves Bristol Leeds Fulham and then Burton as it was a bank holiday and forest which was towards the end and then the final day against reading when we exceeded 30k for the first time that season

Most of the other times it was between 16 and 18 for a season when we always in the hunt following a good recovery the previous season when Warnock came in

Not sure what damage the last three seasons have done but still feel we are 16-18k club which increase slightly when sustained performance in the championship

An article in the Times today picks out 2 clubs as having a particularly mediocre record in the Championship -

Sunderland and Bristol City.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely, but Sludge won't have any of that.
    The entertainment value has got so low, I can't even be bothered to watch when it's on tv (for free) in my living room anymore. I have no idea how anyone musters the energy to attend in person these days.