+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sunderland Sleeping Giant

Sunderland Sleeping Giant

40k plus crowd Saturday, real sleeping giants . If someone invested they'd have the in coming revenue .

Re: Sunderland Sleeping Giant

Kids a quid, wasn’t it

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Kids a quid, wasn’t it
    Yes and Cardiff had kids for a quid too v Hull but our "crowd" was about 25,000 less than 40,000 ! I am only thankful that ST seats are counted in the attendance at CCS, people are voting with their feet. Our mid table position has been "achieved" with mind numbing football.

Sunderland are and always will be a big club. The Bank of England club they were known as in the 1930s I believe.

Comatosed more like, 1 title in the last 100+ years & 2 FA cups, 36 years outside top flight in that time. They might get the crowds but that’s the only thing they deliver, they’re no giant on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Comatosed more like, 1 title in the last 100+ years & 2 FA cups, 36 years outside top flight in that time. They might get the crowds but that’s the only thing they deliver, they’re no giant on the pitch.
    Makes their support even more impressive

Proper old school football club

When people argue about club's and their history, trophies and success cannot be taken in isolation. By Des Parrot's argument Cardiff's 1927 FA Cup win won't count soon as it will be over 100 years ago!

Sunderland have been League Champions 5 times and won the FA Cup twice. So 7 major trophies. They have won the league title more than Spurs (who have only won it twice) and more than their local rivals Newcastle. Both of them claim to be huge clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    When people argue about club's and their history, trophies and success cannot be taken in isolation. By Des Parrot's argument Cardiff's 1927 FA Cup win won't count soon as it will be over 100 years ago!

Sunderland have been League Champions 5 times and won the FA Cup twice. So 7 major trophies. They have won the league title more than Spurs (who have only won it twice) and more than their local rivals Newcastle. Both of them claim to be huge clubs.
    Newcastle , Sunderland huge clubs with enormous support

People say we went to Newcastle and there was only 15 k there !

At the same time we were struggling to get 4500

Clubs like Sunderland and Newcastle are part of football cities where they part of the identity

For whatever reason and there are several we are just not up there

Maybe it will happen one day

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    40k plus crowd Saturday, real sleeping giants . If someone invested they'd have the in coming revenue .
    Sheff Wednesday in same bucket. Good targets for a takeover for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post

I’ll stick with my definition of comatosed. They won 3 of their titles in the 19th century while Queen Victoria was alive and another 2 before WW1 (or City joined the league). They had good years in 1936 & 1973, that’s it 2 good years since WW1. Great crowds no argument but on the pitch arguably, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Wolves, Derby, Huddersfield, Burnley and others have achieved more.

I guess that the beauty of football and sport in general is people have different opinions. Wigan won the FA Cup recently so are they a big club? Just one example... There are many clubs who have just won one cup - ourselves and the JBs being two!

Trophies, attendances and a decent ground must be the three criteria - plus world wide support. Many years ago at Meadow Lane there was a Preston Bluebirds flag (made us smile at the time) - I have not seen it since!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’ll stick with my definition of comatosed. They won 3 of their titles in the 19th century while Queen Victoria was alive and another 2 before WW1 (or City joined the league). They had good years in 1936 & 1973, that’s it 2 good years since WW1. Great crowds no argument but on the pitch arguably, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Wolves, Derby, Huddersfield, Burnley and others have achieved more.
    Cardiff won their only trophy before the Wall Street Crash - it does not mean it is not our history!