Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
Codswallop.

Some of our crowds in our Warnock promotion season weren't great. Didn't stop us winning promotion. Rubbish crowds didn't stop us winning promotion from the old Division 4 at Ninian Park.

I will agree that the atmosphere is awful at home games, though. It's been pretty abysmal when we've nearly sold out for the defeats at home to Swansea.

I have yet to hear an ex-player/pundit say that it's up to the fans to generate an atmosphere. They'll all say it's up to the players to start at a high tempo and get the fans behind them.

I also think that we've got a new generation of fans who don't chant that much during games, regardless of how well or poorly we play. How many new chants do we hear at home games? When was the last time we had a chant that stuck for several games? I can't remember one. I don't think this is just a Cardiff City thing, either. I notice it a lot when I watch football on TV that fans don't tend to sing and chant as they did 20 years ago.

So, no I don't think a half empty, quiet stadium makes too much of a difference. I reckon there's far more that affects our home form and it ain't to do with the fans.
You have said that a couple of times Eric. I was watching the Forest - Spurs game on Sunday and the commentator (and co commentator) said a few times that Spurs needed their crowd to lift them. It is not uncommon.

That said, I agree the responsibility for the atmosphere rests mainly with the team on the pitch.