+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: British Gas Profits

British Gas Profits

British Gas' annual profits soared more than tenfold to £751m in 2023 from £72m in 2022, its parent company Centrica announced in its preliminary results published on Thursday.

Yet nearly half of households find themselves unable afford their current energy bills.

Re: British Gas Profits

Privatisation

Conservatives to blame for all the utility nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Privatisation

Conservatives to blame for all the utility nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    British Gas' annual profits soared more than tenfold to £751m in 2023 from £72m in 2022, its parent company Centrica announced in its preliminary results published on Thursday.

Yet nearly half of households find themselves unable afford their current energy bills.
    Agenda 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Agenda 30.
    Just old fashioned privatised utilities greed backed by a complicit government and a friendly opposition!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just old fashioned privatised utilities greed backed by a complicit government and a friendly opposition!
    You won't get me arguing the case for our profligate and incompetent utility companies, but in regard to BG's profit that does equate to just over £1 per week per UK household [they supply 12m]..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You won't get me arguing the case for our profligate and incompetent utility companies, but in regard to BG's profit that does equate to just over £1 per week per UK household [they supply 12m]..
    OK - but I don't think there should be any profit with essential utility companies. Any 'surplus' should be reinvested in the infrastructure or used to reduce bills (along with central government subsidies and more support for low income households).

It should not go to shareholders (even the institutional ones like pension funds). It should be nationalised and run as a public not private organisation. Same for all the main transport companies and other utilities.

But my main point was to rubbish Gluey's 'Agenda 30'.

No need for made up shadowy conspiracies when old fashioned capitalism is doing the job!