+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Chase

The Chase

Anyone else watch today’s episode?
    All 4 contestants made it to the final and had accumulated £52k.
    The beast caught them with 3 seconds remaining, but I thought they were cheated a bit on one of their questions.
    Brad asked “Which jockey has released a book called Leap of Faith”
    One contestant answered Franco Dettori, but it was deemed wrong as it should have been “ Frankie Dettori” A bit unfair me thinks, as his real name is Lanfranco Dettori.
    Any thoughts?

Re: The Chase

I saw it and commented to my wife how harsh the decision was.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I saw it and commented to my wife how harsh the decision was.
    It probably cost them the game.

His name is Lanfranco but he is widely known as Frankie, either of those would have been acceptable answers but not Franco. Seemed fair enough to me.

Many years ago we were the beneficiaries of a similar bad call from a question master whilst competing in the Cardiff Sports Quiz league. Our main rivals were asked to name the colours of the Wigan Rugby League team's shirt. They said red and white hoops, which was deemed to be incorrect by the question master, the right answer being cherry and white hoops. It didn't go down well with the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Many years ago we were the beneficiaries of a similar bad call from a question master whilst competing in the Cardiff Sports Quiz league. Our main rivals were asked to name the colours of the Wigan Rugby League team's shirt. They said red and white hoops, which was deemed to be incorrect by the question master, the right answer being cherry and white hoops. It didn't go down well with the other team.
    This must happen quite regularly in quizzing. I just googled the Wigan colours and it came up as cherry and white 😁
    I suppose if you are taking part in serious quizzing, then as Jumpersforgoalposts has said above, it has to be spot on.
    Just seemed a tad unfair, because he knew the answer.

Goldie was outraged on Instagram (/sarc) University Challenge question

https://twitter.com/i/status/1744414662928527534

It's a bit harsh if you're playing against your kids but not for a gameshow.

They probably should get searching for any clip of him answering to Franco.

Harsh I thought. Sometimes they’ll accept a surname answer. Even tonight, the answer to one of the cashbuilder wiesuins, they passed, Bradley gave Sampras, didn’t say Pete.

The Chase > Pointless