+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another angle for this season - positions of teams we've faced at the time of fixture

Another angle for this season - positions of teams we've faced at the time of fixture

After 42 games we've played teams in the bottom half on 22 occasions and teams in the top half on 19 occasions. Leeds on the opening day didn't have a league placing. Some might say that early games don't give much of a reflection on how the league table will pan out, though we played QPR in our first home game and they've struggled all season, then Leicester away who have been in the top two just about all season. Next came Sheffield Wednesday who, again have been in the bottom 3 just about the entire season.

So, here we go.

We've played sides in the bottom 3 on 6 occasions this season, winning each time. Of sides positioned 18th to 21st, we've won 4 and drawn 1 out of 7. 10 of our 18 wins have come against sides positioned 18th or lower. That shows a good level of consistency at beating teams towards the bottom.

Our record against other sides in the bottom half that we have faced (13th-17th) is not so impressive - 8 points from 8 games with 4 defeats.

Against sides in the top half our record gets worse - 6 wins out of 20 games (if you include Leeds and Leicester early in the season) and 12 defeats.

Points per game against sides positioned 18th and lower - 2.2 (including the QPR home defeat early in the season)
    Points per game against sides positioned 17th and above - 1

Our record against teams lower than us when we faced them - W 11 D 4 L 8 F 28 A 23 Pts 37 Ave 1.61
    Our record against teams higher than us when we faced them - W 7 D 1 L 11 F 19 A 34 Pts 22 Ave 1.16

Splitting these into home and away categories makes for interesting reading.

Ppg against sides 18th and lower: Home - 2.38, Away - 2
    Ppg against sides 17th and higher: Home - 0.85, Away - 1.13

PPG record against teams lower than us: Home - 1.71, Away - 1.44
    PPG record against teams higher than us: Home - 0.29 , Away - 1.33

Our record against the worst sides in the Championship is excellent. I would be surprised if any other clubs have a much better record. I've seen many a City side over the years do well against good sides in this division and struggle against the relegation fodder. Our home form is particularly good against the sides down the bottom at the time.

However, our form against mid table and top half sides doesn't read particularly well, especially at home. Ipswich remains the only top half side we have got points from at home this season. Yet, away from home, we've got 5 wins and 2 draws against sides in the top half at the time and that could easily have been better had we not conceded late goals at Leeds and Leicester.

It's difficult to interpret all of this. It could be argued that if our form against mid table and top half sides had been better, the playoffs would have been within reach. It could be argued that had our home form been better, the playoffs would have been within reach. It could also be argued that, without the good form against the worst sides, we'd be in a relegation battle.

Ultimately we've done very well against sides at the bottom and have got enough wins away from home at some good sides to have made us comfortably mid table. The rest has been not that good and certainly not enjoyable at all to watch.

Re: Another angle for this season - positions of teams we've faced at the time of fixture

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    After 42 games we've played teams in the bottom half on 22 occasions and teams in the top half on 19 occasions. Leeds on the opening day didn't have a league placing. Some might say that early games don't give much of a reflection on how the league table will pan out, though we played QPR in our first home game and they've struggled all season, then Leicester away who have been in the top two just about all season. Next came Sheffield Wednesday who, again have been in the bottom 3 just about the entire season.

So, here we go.

We've played sides in the bottom 3 on 6 occasions this season, winning each time. Of sides positioned 18th to 21st, we've won 4 and drawn 1 out of 7. 10 of our 18 wins have come against sides positioned 18th or lower. That shows a good level of consistency at beating teams towards the bottom.

Our record against other sides in the bottom half that we have faced (13th-17th) is not so impressive - 8 points from 8 games with 4 defeats.

Against sides in the top half our record gets worse - 6 wins out of 20 games (if you include Leeds and Leicester early in the season) and 12 defeats.

Points per game against sides positioned 18th and lower - 2.2 (including the QPR home defeat early in the season)

Our record against teams lower than us when we faced them - W 11 D 4 L 8 F 28 A 23 Pts 37 Ave 1.61
    Our record against teams higher than us when we faced them - W 7 D 1 L 11 F 19 A 34 Pts 22 Ave 1.16

Our record against the worst sides in the Championship is excellent. I would be surprised if any other clubs have a much better record. I've seen many a City side over the years do well against good sides in this division and struggle against the relegation fodder. Our home form is particularly good against the sides down the bottom at the time.

However, our form against mid table and top half sides doesn't read particularly well, especially at home. Ipswich remains the only top half side we have got points from at home this season. Yet, away from home, we've got 5 wins and 2 draws against sides in the top half at the time and that could easily have been better had we not conceded late goals at Leeds and Leicester.

It's difficult to interpret all of this. It could be argued that if our form against mid table and top half sides had been better, the playoffs would have been within reach. It could be argued that had our home form been better, the playoffs would have been within reach. It could also be argued that, without the good form against the worst sides, we'd be in a relegation battle.

Ultimately we've done very well against sides at the bottom and have got enough wins away from home at some good sides to have made us comfortably mid table. The rest has been not that good and certainly not enjoyable at all to watch.
    Good digging, that.

Re: Another angle for this season - positions of teams we've faced at the time of fixture

Eric, presumably you compiled this before Birmingham slipped into the bottom three, as the Rooney-led team beat us on our patch.

International

So, here we go.

Isn't it entirely what you would expect over a season?

We beat the shit teams, lose to the best teams and a mixed bag with the middle teams?

Also, there is a physiological influence, you play more conservatively against the good teams and expect to lose, more adventurous against the shit teams but remain confident as you expect to win, and are not sure what to expect mid-table. The fan behavior will probably replicate.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we might beat Rotherham and lose to Southampton

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

We beat the shit teams, lose to the best teams and a mixed bag with the middle teams?

Also, there is a physiological influence, you play more conservatively against the good teams and expect to lose, more adventurous against the shit teams but remain confident as you expect to win, and are not sure what to expect mid-table. The fan behavior will probably replicate.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we might beat Rotherham and lose to Southampton
    Although as we also know, end of season pressure for some clubs and no pressure for us can spring odd results for the last month or so.

I just want to see us score more goals than the opposition at home next season now I've renewed my ST. I'm now so worn down I'm firmly in the "I don't care how we do it" camp...just so long as we do it. I don't care if they're all OGs. I don't care if they are flukes. I don't care how sh*t we are. I just want to see the minimum of 1-0 on the scoreboard. I'll even happily play Bulut whistle bingo to keep me from nodding off necessary.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I just want to see us score more goals than the opposition at home next season now I've renewed my ST. I'm now so worn down I'm firmly in the "I don't care how we do it" camp...just so long as we do it. I don't care if they're all OGs. I don't care if they are flukes. I don't care how sh*t we are. I just want to see the minimum of 1-0 on the scoreboard. I'll even happily play Bulut whistle bingo to keep me from nodding off necessary.
    The wrong type of goals, only winning by one, an embargo is not a disadvantage, they are trying to say we are beating the wrong type of teams now

Bulut has already said if he stays he will change the style of play, lets give him the money and watch us improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Eric, presumably you compiled this before Birmingham slipped into the bottom three, as the Rooney-led team beat us on our patch.
    No. The league positions were taken at the time of kickoff, not current league positions. They were 16th when they beat us in Cardiff.

International

Erol Bulut: I have my transfer targets no matter where I end up

Cardiff manager Erol Bulut said he is "prepared" for the summer and has drawn up a transfer list with his coaching staff – regardless of whether he is Bluebirds boss next season.

The manager — and players — has urged Tan to make the decision as quickly as possible, so the likes of pre-season and transfer plans can be thrashed out. But Bulut, who has previously said he has been unable to look ahead to the summer window, has said he and his coaching team have ideal targets in mind if they are allowed to continue into a second season.

“I want to stay and have asked to stay, but for months now I have had no reply.”
    "With my squad and coaching group we have many players on our list," Bulut said when asked about summer transfer plans.

"Also with the club, with the recruitment team, we spoke about many players. I am prepared a little for the next season if we can continue, so we can go on.”

"But we don’t have much time so many players, you know the market is not cheap, so the club have to make a quick decision and quick plans to go on, otherwise it will be too late."

Bulut on if he would develop the style of play if he was to be kept on:

“Of course, we have to see what kind of transfer we can get and then we can also we can change a few things in our game plan."

We've had seasons under Dave Jones where our record against the bottom sides was worse than any other group in the division.

Yes, you'd expect teams to generally have a better record against the worst teams, but ours (I think at least) is one of the best in the division. On the opposite side of the coin, I would reckon most teams have a better home record against teams who were in the top half when they played them than ours, which is absolute shite.

I think you're right. We'll lose to Southampton and probably beat Rotherham. Middlesbrough is anyone's guess - on season long form we'll probably lose, but it's a dead rubber with nothing on it, so it could be any scoreline.

Cardiff manager Erol Bulut said he is "prepared" for the summer and has drawn up a transfer list with his coaching staff – regardless of whether he is Bluebirds boss next season.

The manager — and players — has urged Tan to make the decision as quickly as possible, so the likes of pre-season and transfer plans can be thrashed out. But Bulut, who has previously said he has been unable to look ahead to the summer window, has said he and his coaching team have ideal targets in mind if they are allowed to continue into a second season.

“I want to stay and have asked to stay, but for months now I have had no reply.”
    "With my squad and coaching group we have many players on our list," Bulut said when asked about summer transfer plans.

"Also with the club, with the recruitment team, we spoke about many players. I am prepared a little for the next season if we can continue, so we can go on.”

"But we don’t have much time so many players, you know the market is not cheap, so the club have to make a quick decision and quick plans to go on, otherwise it will be too late."

“Of course, we have to see what kind of transfer we can get and then we can also we can change a few things in our game plan."
    Lovely. Piss all to do with my post, but lovely.

The wrong type of goals, only winning by one, an embargo is not a disadvantage, they are trying to say we are beating the wrong type of teams now
    Are you normally this stupid in real life?

International

Are you normally this stupid in real life?
    Are you?

That reply sums up some of the excuses some people are using because deep down they can see Bulut has had a difficult job and done well, you're the main culprit.

What the f*ck has this got to do with the topic of the thread?

Comical NCB strikes again.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    What the f*ck has this got to do with the topic of the thread?

Comical NCB strikes again.
    Go back to bed Villechaize, the plane the plane

So, here we go.

Isn't that why we have a league table?

"Team at top beats team at bottom, team at bottom lose to teams above, mid table teams generally beat those below but lose to those above, shocker!".
    Ive no idea what it is or why you keep posting these.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Isn't that why we have a league table?

"Team at top beats team at bottom, team at bottom lose to teams above, mid table teams generally beat those below but lose to those above, shocker!".
    Ive no idea what it is or why you keep posting these.
    My own curiosity and there are one or two who enjoy reading them.

You're not quite right with your "team at top" etc bit in any case. It's a massive generalisation. Like I've said previously, I remember a season under Jones where our record against the worst teams in the division was pretty awful but we did well against the top teams.

You might be happy with the league table. I'm more interested in a little more depth than that. What has been good and not so good throughout the season. I think my summary is pretty accurate - we've been excellent against the worst teams, generally less than average against the rest bar some very good away wins at some clubs who were doing well in the table at the time. That, to me, is more interesting that just saying we're 11th. There's a reason we're 11th and it isn't just we've got a better record than the teams below us.

If it doesn't interest you, fine, but you won't stop me continuing with my love of stats, so get over it!

Are you?

That reply sums up some of the excuses some people are using because deep down they can see Bulut has had a difficult job and done well, you're the main culprit.
    Case closed. As I've just replied, I enjoy stats and seeing where things have gone well or otherwise. If you think it's me holding a noose around Bulut's neck, then you're more idiotic than I thought.

My own curiosity and there are one or two who enjoy reading them.

You're not quite right with your "team at top" etc bit in any case. It's a massive generalisation. Like I've said previously, I remember a season under Jones where our record against the worst teams in the division was pretty awful but we did well against the top teams.

You might be happy with the league table. I'm more interested in a little more depth than that. What has been good and not so good throughout the season. I think my summary is pretty accurate - we've been excellent against the worst teams, generally less than average against the rest bar some very good away wins at some clubs who were doing well in the table at the time. That, to me, is more interesting that just saying we're 11th. There's a reason we're 11th and it isn't just we've got a better record than the teams below us.

If it doesn't interest you, fine, but you won't stop me continuing with my love of stats, so get over it!
    Keep 'em coming Eric. Always keep doing what you love. Blank out the noise. I've come to realise that maybe I love moaning about Cardiff City (that'll be a surprise I know). It'd be boring on here if we were all the same. I love the geeky stuff.

Kin hell Eric no wonder your ticker has been playing up

Just reading that is stressful

Take up golf

Actually not golf , golf is crap

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Kin hell Eric no wonder your ticker has been playing up

Just reading that is stressful

Take up golf

Actually not golf , golf is crap
    On the contrary, I find it in some ways theraputic.

Not golf, though. Completely useless at it, as I am with just about every sport!

On the contrary, I find it in some ways theraputic.

Not golf, though. Completely useless at it, as I am with just about every sport!
    Your wife says you are a bit of a sport

Lots of stamina

Keep it going

👍