+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Carer convicted over benefit error worth 30p a week fights to clear his name

Carer convicted over benefit error worth 30p a week fights to clear his name

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...30p-a-week-dwp

....how cruel are we as a society?

"In 2018, a judge at Preston crown court gave him a 32-week suspended sentence and ordered him to wear an electronic tag for 16 weeks."

....a tag FFS!

And the DWP want police powers.

God save the King guvner *doffs hat*

Re: Carer convicted over benefit error worth 30p a week fights to clear his name

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...30p-a-week-dwp

....how cruel are we as a society?

"In 2018, a judge at Preston crown court gave him a 32-week suspended sentence and ordered him to wear an electronic tag for 16 weeks."

....a tag FFS!

And the DWP want police powers.

God save the King guvner *doffs hat*
    Seems like something not to dissimilar to the Horizon Post Office issue, and this person has been caught up in the system. Both the Post Office and DWP are run as businesses. All politicians can do is shine some light on issues - and if necessary change the law. It's a grey area between how much an MP can get a system changed because of an issue. If they could then they'd be accused of frigging the system to suit their own political decisions.

Even so - bloody ridiculous.

Re: Carer convicted over benefit error worth 30p a week fights to clear his name

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Seems like something not to dissimilar to the Horizon Post Office issue, and this person has been caught up in the system. Both the Post Office and DWP are run as businesses. All politicians can do is shine some light on issues - and if necessary change the law. It's a grey area between how much an MP can get a system changed because of an issue. If they could then they'd be accused of frigging the system to suit their own political decisions.

Even so - bloody ridiculous.
    What upsets me is the unfairness in our society. The Crown Court tried this case. The CPS agreed it. The DWP chased it. The guy gets sentenced and has to wear a tag. Why not bring back the stocks or the ducking stool? I'm tired of seeing people with money get away with breaking laws and rules. I'm tired of it all tbh. As I've got older I've seen our society, social and health get to breaking point. I've seen and been on the receiving end of draconian and humiliating interrogation as a disabled person. Yup. I'm sick of it.

Edit: all they had to do was say...yup, we both f*cked up here. Let's agree to sort this out between us. No need for courts. Whatever happened to some decency and common sense? What was that judge thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    What upsets me is the unfairness in our society. The Crown Court tried this case. The CPS agreed it. The DWP chased it. The guy gets sentenced and has to wear a tag. Why not bring back the stocks or the ducking stool? I'm tired of seeing people with money get away with breaking laws and rules. I'm tired of it all tbh. As I've got older I've seen our society, social and health get to breaking point. I've seen and been on the receiving end of draconian and humiliating interrogation as a disabled person. Yup. I'm sick of it.

Edit: all they had to do was say...yup, we both f*cked up here. Let's agree to sort this out between us. No need for courts. Whatever happened to some decency and common sense? What was that judge thinking?
    And the tory minister caught telling porkies over twitter has had her legal costs paid for by YOU

Ridiculous making him wear a tag..but I have to ask the question...how does 30p / week equate to almost £20,000 over seven years....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Ridiculous making him wear a tag..but I have to ask the question...how does 30p / week equate to almost £20,000 over seven years....
    I think the 30p took them over the limit of the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Because if you are overpaid by 30p per week for seven years the so and so's don't just take the 30p per week off you. They take the entire benefit for any week you were overpaid. In this case the entire 7 years benefit.

Haven't read every post in this thread, but apparently the DWP computer system tells them that they have overpaid claimants as soon as it happens in many cases, but they don't tell people when the amount would be negligible allowing large overpayments to build up!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Because if you are overpaid by 30p per week for seven years the so and so's don't just take the 30p per week off you. They take the entire benefit for any week you were overpaid. In this case the entire 7 years benefit.

Haven't read every post in this thread, but apparently the DWP computer system tells them that they have overpaid claimants as soon as it happens in many cases, but they don't tell people when the amount would be negligible allowing large overpayments to build up!
    This is exactly right Elwood. They know what's happening early on. They want police powers on top of this and the system linked to the PO scandal added into the mix as well. What could possibly go wrong?