+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who is the best striker in the world right now?

Who is the best striker in the world right now?

OK I guess most will say Haaland and Mbappe. They are effective in what they do but I am not sure they are as technically rounded as Ronaldo (United and Portugal version), or Marco Van Basten was.

For all the fanfare around them Carragher wrote a good article in the Telegraph today that said “Haaland is a great striker but not a great player”. I agree. Ball behind the strikers? Good finisher. All round game? Not so. Good header, and a one footed finisher. But a good dribbler? No. Is he technically clever that links with team mates? Shortcomings there, too. He also struggles against low block defences, at the top end. Nor is he great with volleys.

Mbappe? Lightning quick too. Good finisher both feet. But again, like Salah, one dimensional. No good at set pieces and not very creative. Nor is he great with volleys. He is a better quality Michael Owen - deadly, but not rounded.

What you can say is it doesn’t matter as their goalscoring stats are superb. Can’t argue with that. But who is the best is a different question. Best striker of all time for me was Van Basten, because he ticked every box. Decent speed. Height. Left foot. Right foot. Brilliant with headers. Brilliant with volleys, penalties and took a few free kicks. Backheels and flicks? Check .Overhead bicycle kicks? No problems. He could play as two up top or excelled as a lone striker ina very tough Italian league. Great movement in the box, and had the statistics at league and international level to show for it. The complete striker. For me, the very best.

Recently I have been watching Juventus a bit more due to seeing Dusan Vlahovic’s statistics. Having watched him he is the closest I have seen to Marco Van Basten. Left foot. Right foot. Excellent in the air due to height. Physically strong. Can play against high press or low block. Gets assists. Creative - a team player. Penalties and free kicks. This season again his stats for goal involvements are outstanding. What an amazing player. For me, the most complete striker in the world and a gem to watch.

Re: Who is the best striker in the world right now?

Etete

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Etete
    😂

Sory Kaba

Kane for me

Look at this guy’s goals. Amazing all round repertoire.

1 goal in every 2 games for Juve. But its improving. 15 goals in 26 this year and 4 assists. And still only 24. Incredible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dušan_Vlahović

https://youtu.be/Qx-DVyQUTCM?si=sFpFV993_Nyc76Eh

As good as Van Basten was, i wouldn’t have him in my top 5. I thought Bergkamp was at least his equal.
    At the moment, it’s a toss up between Haaland and Kane for me. Mbappe has it all, but seems to go missing for chunks of a game. Needs to get away from PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Etete
    He's still developing aswell. Scary to think how good he will be at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    He's still developing aswell. Scary to think how good he will be at his peak.
    He has already surpassed Velikonja's record for us, he is going to be a superstar.

As everyone on this messageboard knows, it’s Ashford. I dread to think how many goals he’d have by now this season had Bulut listened to us on here

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    As everyone on this messageboard knows, it’s Ashford. I dread to think how many goals he’d have by now this season had Bulut listened to us on here

If people don't think Mbappe is technically rounded, I don't know what is. He has absolutely everything.

Him, Kane or Haaland. All very different players but Mbappe just edges it for me.

Zlatan

Olly Watkins

I would say Mbappe but he needs to have a big season at Madrid next season.