+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAG wasting more money….

WAG wasting more money….

National museum may have to shut, but it’s ok cause they just blew £5 million on a few hundred ft of cycle path around the rec in Roath….

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj7mnneprzlo

Re: WAG wasting more money….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    National museum may have to shut, but it’s ok cause they just blew £5 million on a few hundred ft of cycle path around the rec in Roath….

The Roath cycle path isn't a Welsh Government project.

I've visited the National Museum of Scotland several times when up in Edinburgh on business, and it's absolutely fascinating - I could spend a week there. The place in Cathays Park by comparison has become like one big theme park - very little actual history, and about 50% closed off. It's a shame. A wonderful, stunning building left as a great legacy by our forefathers 100 yrs ago, now it's another thing totally f*cked up by those clowns down the docks..

This is outrageous. Let's be honest, the national museum is pretty crap as it. That animatronic mammoth was the highlight and now that piece of shite doesn't move either. The art work is fantastic but nothing on the ground floor has changed for what seems like decades.

This is in stark comparison to other national museums around the world, but also the other national museums in Wales - St Fagans and Big Pit for example are absolutely brilliant.

Its a comparatively small sum but symbolically very important to Welsh culture, which the WG sometimes seem to think doesn't extend much beyond bilingual signage.

Surely as a tory you voted for this?

You vote for austerity which is forced on the UK so cuts to public services are inevitable.

Own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

You vote for austerity which is forced on the UK so cuts to public services are inevitable.

Own it.
    Every party had a policy of austerity after the financial crisis and austerity ended years ago.

You'll need better than that stock answer, although I suspect you don't care if the museum closed or not anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    Oh…oh that’s ok then cause the wag don’t usually waste much do they. Even worse, it’s Cardiff council then is it? Who will then tell us bin collection is once a month

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

Own it.
    I didn’t vote Tory you twat, not last time anyway, I just can’t stand Labour either, I’m not a sheep who just follows the masses like yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Every party had a policy of austerity after the financial crisis and austerity ended years ago.

You'll need better than that stock answer, although I suspect you don't care if the museum closed or not anyway?
    Bet he doesn’t, I on the other hand was there every week when the kids were really little about 10 yrs ago…it was great.

Bet he doesn’t, I on the other hand was there every week when the kids were really little about 10 yrs ago…it was great.
    I take mine too. It's a really important part of Cardiff and Wales cultural infrastructure. It just needs some investment and TLC. And less of those china plates..they are boring.😂

Oh…oh that’s ok then cause the wag don’t usually waste much do they. Even worse, it’s Cardiff council then is it? Who will then tell us bin collection is once a month
    For a start there is no such entity as the ‘WAG’. It’s the WG and has been for years. Secondly I agree that the Roath cycle path is largely unnecessary (given that there are two parallel roads and existing paths in the rec) and that it is costing far too much. Added to the feeder canal cost this project puts Cardiff Council in a bad light.

The problems with the museum building should be blamed on the people running Amgueddfa Cymru or their predecessors. They must have known that these problems would occur and are now in panic mode. The main building (like next door City Hall) is Grade I listed so eternally safe from demolition or substantial development. Amgueddfa Cymru and Cardiff Council should have bid for and allocated City Deal money to renovate these buildings. £3 million of this money went to the Canal Quarter and it would have been better spent on those two buildings in the Civic Centre.

Anyway, the £67 billion being spent on HS2 (with around £3-4 billion coming from Welsh tax payers) is a far bigger scandal. When the line is up and running it will negatively impact the economy of Wales but we will have helped to pay for our impoverishment. This is orders of magnitude more incompetent and unfair than anything that the WG or CC can mess up.

Are you sure - as I thought the cycle paths were deployed and built by Cardiff Council with grant money supplied by the Senedd. That was the case for Castle street, when the council closed it and put in a cycle path etc.

For a start there is no such entity as the ‘WAG’. It’s the WG and has been for years. Secondly I agree that the Roath cycle path is largely unnecessary (given that there are two parallel roads and existing paths in the rec) and that it is costing far too much. Added to the feeder canal cost this project puts Cardiff Council in a bad light.

The problems with the museum building should be blamed on the people running Amgueddfa Cymru or their predecessors. They must have known that these problems would occur and are now in panic mode. The main building (like next door City Hall) is Grade I listed so eternally safe from demolition or substantial development. Amgueddfa Cymru and Cardiff Council should have bid for and allocated City Deal money to renovate these buildings. £3 million of this money went to the Canal Quarter and it would have been better spent on those two buildings in the Civic Centre.

Anyway, the £67 billion being spent on HS2 (with around £3-4 billion coming from Welsh tax payers) is a far bigger scandal. When the line is up and running it will negatively impact the economy of Wales but we will have helped to pay for our impoverishment. This is orders of magnitude more incompetent and unfair than anything that the WG or CC can mess up.
    The feeder canal project will be a very good long term plan of opening up the city centre

It's absolutely wasted being covered by concrete

Being by the water is good

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Are you sure - as I thought the cycle paths were deployed and built by Cardiff Council with grant money supplied by the Senedd. That was the case for Castle street, when the council closed it and put in a cycle path etc.
    It is part-funded by the WG Active Travel fund. The exact amount is not known according to this article. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-just-28957626

Anyway it’s the brainchild of CC. They think up hare-brained schemes such as this and apply for funding. Active Travel is a huge part of both the WG’s and CC’s ideology. I think this is a ridiculous waste of money but blaming the WG is letting CC off the hook

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The feeder canal project will be a very good long term plan of opening up the city centre

Opening up the city centre? It’s already open. If anything, this canal closes off certain routes and makes it more difficult to cross Churchill Way.

And having 3 inches of water at the bottom of a concrete culvert is probably the least attractive water feature in any city I’ve ever visited. The design and implementation of this scheme has been pretty crap so far.

Opening up the city centre? It’s already open. If anything, this canal closes off certain routes and makes it more difficult to cross Churchill Way.

And having 3 inches of water at the bottom of a concrete culvert is probably the least attractive water feature in any city I’ve ever visited. The design and implementation of this scheme has been pretty crap so far.
    It's a lot more than 3 inches deep

If Swansea City Centre had a canal in the main shopping area they could open up they would

In Cardiff the locals moan and send letters to Wales Online

It's a lot more than 3 inches deep

If Swansea City Centre had a canal in the main shopping area they could open up they would

In Cardiff the locals moan and send letters to Wales Online
    I took this photo in late January. There was about 3 inches in water in there at the time. On each and every subsequent visit (including last Saturday night) there was a similar level of water in the canal.
    IMG_0795.jpg

If the canal was too deep they wouldn't be able to see all the hire bikes dumped in it....not that Cardiff are likely to get another contract after the last two just ended up with bikes being trashed. The main reason for the cycle paths not being used is there are no bike hire schemes and haven't been since January this year.

Have you actually seen it ? - it's about 20 feet long, a concrete eyesore and they seem to have forgotten Churchill way is a like a wind tunnel and is usually in shadow due to high rise buildings all around it. It is the biggest waste of money since the 89,000,000 bus station , which was about 12 years behind schedule....

I took this photo in late January. There was about 3 inches in water in there at the time. On each and every subsequent visit (including last Saturday night) there was a similar level of water in the canal.
    IMG_0795.jpg
    3 inches my arse

I fish in the Dock feeder canal in bute Park and what makes it flow is the fact there is often loads of water coming into it , off the taff

As its often raining in autumn , winter and spring

And that's why it was built

The fact you don't like looking at it is irrelevant

Have you actually seen it ? - it's about 20 feet long, a concrete eyesore and they seem to have forgotten Churchill way is a like a wind tunnel and is usually in shadow due to high rise buildings all around it. It is the biggest waste of money since the 89,000,000 bus station , which was about 12 years behind schedule....
    Yes

The rest of your post is cobblers

Doesn't sound like support is imminent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-68817557

How much went on to that little puddle they dug out on thee canal quarter? 3 million….christ alive.

It’s a joke….that money could have been spent in much better vanity project, you can barely even see water it’s so small….

It’s a joke….that money could have been spent in much better vanity project, you can barely even see water it’s so small….
    I refer the gentleman to the reply given earlier

If the rain is heavy the gate is opened at blackweir Bridge to take excess water off the river taff , into the feeder canal which empties out at but east dock , Atlantic wharf

If you walk past the canal that's been uncovered if it's not flowing water either it hasn't been raining much or the gate hasn't been opened