+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

Re: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I think that's why it's remembered the way it is.

We didn't even have any heartbreak. Not like we had tight or exciting games v fulham or Palace. Had they been nail biting games with late goals etc it may have been seen as heartbreak or disappointment. Instead it wasn't. Just non events of games where it felt we were done and didn't turn up. Strange.
    Yes.

Some believe we were 1 win away from staying up that season, in the same way they believe only a Reading points deduction saved us last season. Both have a ring of truth from the end of season table but, in reality, neither panned out like that.

Re: Looking at Burnley shef United and Luton did we actually do quite well in the Premier under warnock

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    These points tallies fluctuate. The average points for a team finishing in 18th since the PL became a 20-team division is 35.2. Only 7 teams have won fewer than 34 points and only once has that happened since we were relegated from the PL (Fulham in 2020/21 finished in 18th with 28 points). In fact, since the 20-team PL in 1995/96, the points of the team finishing in 18th has been varied and there's no suggestion that more recent sides finishing in 18th have had worse points tallies than those 20 years before.
    By a strange coincidence neil has 104 points in 112 games.

That would mean an average of 35.2 points a season. Exactly the average of teams finishing 18th.

Considering the only teams he has managed are shef u cardiff and qpr- 3 unfancied teams he took up and Palace who were struggling it's not a bad return at all.

That would mean an average of 35.2 points a season. Exactly the average of teams finishing 18th.

Considering the only teams he has managed are shef u cardiff and qpr- 3 unfancied teams he took up and Palace who were struggling it's not a bad return at all.
    Good stats. I think that sums Warnock up. Has kept up some poor sides and won promotion with teams that probably wouldn't have been close. He's not always got it right in the second tier, but his record is good (he's past it now).

His approach hasn't been quite right for the PL, though. I think if he could have kept us up in his first full season in the division, that would have been among his biggest triumphs.

Warnock's never managed a "fancied" team in his life, he's supposed to have turned down Chelsea once, but they were nothing like the club they are now at the time. Warnock's all about managing underdogs and you can't deny his record in the second tier is very good - for example, what he did with Rotherham just before he joined us was remarkable. He's prospered with unfashionable Championship sides on a consistent basis, but whatever the magic is, it doesn't work when those unfashionable sides get to the top flight - if I had to guess, I'd say that the better a player is, the harder they find it to buy into his methods.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Whitts under Warnock if he was two or three years younger. When he left for Blackburn, it couldn't really be said that it was down to Warnock forcing Whitts out because in 2017 he wasn't the player that he once had been. My suspicion is that, even if Whitts had been in his late twenties when Warnock arrived, he would've been someone who Warnock was looking to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Warnock's never managed a "fancied" team in his life, he's supposed to have turned down Chelsea once, but they were nothing like the club they are now at the time. Warnock's all about managing underdogs and you can't deny his record in the second tier is very good - for example, what he did with Rotherham just before he joined us was remarkable. He's prospered with unfashionable Championship sides on a consistent basis, but whatever the magic is, it doesn't work when those unfashionable sides get to the top flight - if I had to guess, I'd say that the better a player is, the harder they find it to buy into his methods.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Whitts under Warnock if he was two or three years younger. When he left for Blackburn, it couldn't really be said that it was down to Warnock forcing Whitts out because in 2017 he wasn't the player that he once had been. My suspicion is that, even if Whitts had been in his late twenties when Warnock arrived, he would've been someone who Warnock was looking to replace.
    Not so sure about that , Whittingham was the outstanding Championship player of that decade and Warnock would have been shrewd enough to have found a way to include him, same as he did with Adel Taraabt at QPR

What he did at Rotherham was indeed remarkable, as was turning us from a relegation shambles of a team to a promotion winning side in a season and a half

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Not so sure about that , Whittingham was the outstanding Championship player of that decade and Warnock would have been shrewd enough to have found a way to include him, same as he did with Adel Taraabt at QPR

What he did at Rotherham was indeed remarkable, as was turning us from a relegation shambles of a team to a promotion winning side in a season and a half
    It was a shambles of a team but that was mainly down to Trollope. That's not saying that what Warnock did wasn't superb, because it was, but the side should never have been down the bottom as they were.