Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Warnock's never managed a "fancied" team in his life, he's supposed to have turned down Chelsea once, but they were nothing like the club they are now at the time. Warnock's all about managing underdogs and you can't deny his record in the second tier is very good - for example, what he did with Rotherham just before he joined us was remarkable. He's prospered with unfashionable Championship sides on a consistent basis, but whatever the magic is, it doesn't work when those unfashionable sides get to the top flight - if I had to guess, I'd say that the better a player is, the harder they find it to buy into his methods.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Whitts under Warnock if he was two or three years younger. When he left for Blackburn, it couldn't really be said that it was down to Warnock forcing Whitts out because in 2017 he wasn't the player that he once had been. My suspicion is that, even if Whitts had been in his late twenties when Warnock arrived, he would've been someone who Warnock was looking to replace.
Not so sure about that , Whittingham was the outstanding Championship player of that decade and Warnock would have been shrewd enough to have found a way to include him, same as he did with Adel Taraabt at QPR

What he did at Rotherham was indeed remarkable, as was turning us from a relegation shambles of a team to a promotion winning side in a season and a half