Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Callum Robinson has been a good Championship player for a decade and for some of that time, he wasn’t a bad Premier League one either He’s played just short of forty games for Ireland and is scoring at a rate of one in every four which isn’t bad - I’m not aware of any reputation he had for trouble marking as well.

Robinson was a good player until he came to Cardiff and, apart from showing he was a crap penalty taker, wasnt doing too badly last season before the injury which ended it for him.

He’s had a poor season this time around though no doubt about that and I don’t think he’s been putting the effort in either (again, I’m unaware of this being a criticism of him in the past). Supporters tend not to take the possibility of off field issues into account when judging players, so let’s include the possibility that there may be non footballing reasons for the fact that he’s barely made an impact this season, but there’s an elephant in the room which has to be mentioned - we have a manager that criticised him in public in the autumn, has rowed with him during matches, spoken vaguely of injuries and illness to Robinson that kept him out of the first team picture for months and now he’s dropped him for disciplinary reasons.

Maybe Robinson deserves the treatment he’s received from Erol Bulut, but I can’t help thinking he wouldn’t be appearing in this thread if we had a different manager.
The point about (uncontrollable at least) off field factors is a good one, as I learned from listening to an interview with Mark Hudson.

That said, for a humble fan, it can often feel like excuses, when some those factors are largely brought upon the players by themselves.