+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Osian Roberts

Osian Roberts

Decent article on Como, where he’s head coach, in this month’s 442. Cesc Fabregas, his number 2, is full of praise for him. Fabregas says he’s learning so much from him while attaining his coaching badges. When Fabregas eventually becomes head coach, Roberts will move on to be head of development. Forward planning at a club eh!

Re: Osian Roberts

How they been performing?

Como or Cardiff

Tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    How they been performing?
    2nd in series B

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Decent article on Como, where he’s head coach, in this month’s 442. Cesc Fabregas, his number 2, is full of praise for him. Fabregas says he’s learning so much from him while attaining his coaching badges. When Fabregas eventually becomes head coach, Roberts will move on to be head of development. Forward planning at a club eh!
    I see Henry and Fabregas are shareholders in the club.

Henry did his coaching badges with the FAW, wonder if Roberts made a good impression on him and thats how he got the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Henry did his coaching badges with the FAW, wonder if Roberts made a good impression on him and thats how he got the gig.
    Probably, it's likely how he got the Palace gig with Patrick Vieira

A lot of good coaches have gone through the FAW coaching pathway including Vieira and Arteta.

If Ng signed for him, it could result in Magic Moments....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If Ng signed for him, it could result in Magic Moments....
    Or maybe explosive moments?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Or maybe explosive moments?
    Is that also a Perry Como song? Probably not....

I did my old C and B badges with FAW back in 1999-2000. Osian Roberts was on the scene then and I think he was running the North Wales branch. Roberts came in to show some basic drills to give us ideas. He is a classic North Walian though. No “Big I Am”, just a humble fella who loves his job and cracks on with it. Top man. Always takes technical questions from anyone and approachable. Huge respect from me.

Mike Rigg was the FA Technical Director at the time that kicked it all off, and I think he later went to Man City as he was so highly rated for his work.

Dean Saunders, Neville Southall, Paul Bodin, and Mark Hughes were on the B badge programme at the time I was doing my C badge. The only pro on my C licence was Colin Pascoe - he was a good laugh.

The FAW have also put through Chris Wilder, Mikel Arteta, Thierry Henry, Marcel Desailly, Sol Campbell, Ryan Giggs, Roberto Martinez, David Ginola, Craig Bellamy, Les Ferdinand, Tim Sherwood, Jens Lehmann, Tim Cahill, Garry Monk, Simon Grayson and Chris Coleman. It’s a hell of a list.

It may have changed, but part of the reason for being so popular is that the FAW, as well as the Scottish, fell under the UEFA umbrella programme. England FA did not want to do that. England FA programme was out of date, but FAW was cutting edge and modern, implementing all the latest ideas. Rigg and Roberts had the right mindset. I recently did some badges under England FA two years ago (although I have now quit community coaching at weekends in both football abd rugby) and it is now much better than it used to be, and very very technical. But equally the England FA programme is “stiff” and “cold”, whereas the FAW programme is very friendly and collegiate, and more team-based activities. So the style of delivery is said to still be a little different.

Probably - Roberts was behind the FAW getting it's act together. No coincidence that when he went to Morocco - look where they ended up a few years later.

I would love him to be at the city, still has a house in Pontcanna / Canton. I wouldnt want to inflict our ownership / business setup on him - he deserves much better than us

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is that also a Perry Como song? Probably not....
    Wrong genre I think:

nitroglycerine.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wrong genre I think:

nitroglycerine.jpg
    Nice Deep Soul track. Not heard it for years!
    Last edited by Mr Soul '68; 16-04-24 at 15:42. Reason: sPelluNG