+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Back when wrexham were our rivals

Back when wrexham were our rivals

4k plus away fans.

Was watching the recent Cohen griffith podcast and he made the point if only Rick Wright would have said he's going again when this team got promoted. The team with just 1 or 2 additions could have kicked on and should have been.a huge season ticket campaign etc..... instead it all died so quickly after this.

I always think of this game more than the scunthorpe one. Scunthorpe was the party as promotion already achieved but wrexham away win was the real this side means business promotion win as they were a very decent side also.

https://youtu.be/M52laWn4FPc?si=qNECIlkIBuGmsMVi

Re: Back when wrexham were our rivals

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    4k plus away fans.

Was watching the recent Cohen griffith podcast and he made the point if only Rick Wright would have said he's going again when this team got promoted. The team with just 1 or 2 additions could have kicked on and should have been.a huge season ticket campaign etc..... instead it all died so quickly after this.

I always think of this game more than the scunthorpe one. Scunthorpe was the party as promotion already achieved but wrexham away win was the real this side means business promotion win as they were a very decent side also.

I was there that day (as I'm sure many on this forum were). A special mention to Robbie James, he didn't put a foot wrong. Calm and precise with his passing, a real captain's display from him that day.

we had 2 games against them in the week ( or my memory says we did ) a midweek game must have been the welsh cup semi

good times

What a great day

There was a serious car accident just outside Wrexham and the police nearly delayed the kick off for some of the coaches

Bedlam when we scored

I was at the Scunthorpe game, couldnt make the wrexham game though.

Who was the Wrexham player that got sent off at Ninian park. Gary somebody, it's bugging the feck out of me, he had to do the walk of shame past the Grange end.

I was at both the Wrexham and Scunthorpe games, happy days after the many seasons of misery before that. Shame that all that momentum was lost though Rick Wright would only have been able to take us so far

Gary Bennett, was their captain wasn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I was at both the Wrexham and Scunthorpe games, happy days after the many seasons of misery before that. Shame that all that momentum was lost though Rick Wright would only have been able to take us so far
    He was a businessman from Manchester who invested in a club yet the local people with dosh simply didn't bother

With some backing he could have moved us forward

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Gary Bennett, was their captain wasn’t he?
    Yes that was him. The name Garry Bennett did cross my mind - but then thought there cant be 2 Gary Bennetts.....

Wrexham and Scunthorpe away were/are by a distance the best aways ive been to.

Wrexham easily the best though due to the importance. We outclassed them in a great display.

Funny thing is they beat us the following week 1 nil in the Welsh Cup Semi but we were 2 up on aggregate and went through. Their local reporter claimed it was still revenge though the daft tw@t.🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    4k plus away fans.

I went with my Dad. It is one of the only games that I have ever seen us play when we were in total control and the opposition never threatened.

I also went to the Scunthorpe game - one of the very few times that I have been on the pitch! (the FA Cup win against Leeds and the Charlton promotion game at home in 2012 were the others)