+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA Cup replays scrapped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Wouldn't many small clubs prefer playing away from home due to the larger gate receipts that are split?
    Possibly. Maybe they could be given the option of giving up home advantage if they wish to.

Its flawed when I think about it anyway. The best team ie Man City Rank number 1 will have the easiest (on paper) draw every round.

Maybe they could seed x amount of best teams and lower teams every round and still do a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Good. Sensible decision. After all, if mid-table Championship clubs like ours are treating the FA Cup with contempt by fielding reserve sides in third round ties, then it’s blatantly obvious the competition needs restructuring.

There is simply far too much football at all levels these days. That should be obvious to everyone who follows the sport in this country.
    I agree

The sooner we have just 5 clubs playing each other on a round Robin the better

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I agree with scrapping relays

I think fundamentally cup ties should be a one-off and decided on the day

How often do lower league teams hold a Prem team at home to get this money-spinning replay? More often it’s Championship teams drawing (or League 1/2) and getting another game no-one wants, including the fans.

As for lower league teams complaining they won’t get a shot at a big boy, who’s to say they won’t win a game on penalties then get an even bigger away tie in the next round?

Also think it’s a concern teams might be playing for a draw when they should be all out to win

This decision needs to be reversed. Surely the big clubs moaning about too much football have big enough squads to cope

I think premier teams sometimes have a bad day and then beatable. There is more chance of the bad day happening in the one game scenario

It's understandable that people are blaming the big boys for the scrapping of FA Cup replays, but the irony is that Manchester City take the competition far more seriously than the likes of Cardiff City do.

We've reached the stage where mid-ranking League One clubs are making rafts of changes for FA Cup ties. The situation has got that silly.

According to the Premier League it ‘gives away’ £1.6 billion every 3 years to fund the football pyramid. That £1.6bn includes parachutes payments so presumably Jamie Vardy’s £140k a week salary is part of grassroots? TBF he needs dosh to buy Rebekah phones lost in the North Sea.

https://x.com/kieranmaguire/status/1...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

Poor decision, pandering to the elite again. As far as Cardiff City goes, however, we do our best to lose it in 90 minutes so it won’t affect us too much. What is even sadder is that much of the present fan base seem to endorse this stance.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 19-04-24 at 17:48. Reason: Typo

There is an easy solution to this. If the problem is that the clubs playing in Europe have too many fixtures, then give them the option to opt out of the FA Cup. If they opt out, that's fine. If they decide not to, then they quit moaning and get on with it. Replays and all.

I think it is a good decision, and have been asking for it for years.

We often see lower league teams holding out against bigger clubs, getting the replay then loosing 4-0 or something. Much more chance of a club like Newport beating one of the big teams by holding out and taking them to penalties.

Also the vast majority of games in the cup are just fixtures against a similar club, how often do we just play other championship clubs in the FA Cup
    We play out a boring 0-0 or 1-1 against coventry or someone, to a half empty stadium, and then have to do the exact same thing in a couple weeks. a penalty shoot out would at least make these games a bit more interesting, and give my kids something to enjoy before the drive back home.

I don’t agree with getting rid of replays. As a kid I used to watch a lot of Altrincham games, living up there, I got a real sense of what the FA Cup means to so called smaller teams. The biggest issue is the group of clubs that made this decision - what gives them the right? This is obviously down to money, extra European games, and pre season tours. Have your Super League and bugger off!

I have no issue with scrapping replays however they’ve not balanced the scales.

If they’re so concerned about player welfare they could impose loads of things. Maximum games quota etc.

it seems they want to scrap the mid season break as well