Thread: Leighton James

Re: Leighton James

The penalty against England at Wembley was a masterclass

No poncing about

That was a goal as soon as he started his run up

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Mr Leighroy Bailey !
    Leigh had a public falling out with Ali Yassine on here didn't he? Can't remember what it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    James was a Jack bastard who didn’t like us, and that’s how it should be.
    As a footballer, and a Welsh international, he could be top drawer on his day, and he always gave 100% when playing for Wales.
    For that reason alone, I commend him. RIP
    This (all day long).

He was a bitter, twisted Jack who phucking hated City.

As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Leigh had a public falling out with Ali Yassine on here didn't he? Can't remember what it was over.
    I remember some kind of squabble

They are both good guys

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    That's a proper penalty. None of the faffing about we see these days. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    James was a Jack bastard who didn’t like us, and that’s how it should be.
    As a footballer, and a Welsh international, he could be top drawer on his day, and he always gave 100% when playing for Wales.
    For that reason alone, I commend him. RIP
    Spot on

Hate each other in the league, come together for Wales.

Loved the piss taking of him and loved his one eyed Swansea obsession.

RIP

Let's not forget he wanted Portsmouth to win the FA Cup. And he wanted Barnsley to win the semi. How patriotic is that?

Oh well

Leighton James was one of Britain's top talents. After Derby won the League for the second time in '75 they threw their whole transfer budget at Leighton James and at the time (Nov '75) £300k was one of the World's highest ever transfer fees. I think it was only bettered by the £350k Everton paid for Bob Latchford.

He was Derby's star player for the next 12 months as they came close to winning the title again and lost in the semi's of the FA Cup in a match that was billed as Leighton James v Gordon Hill. Derby struggled the next season and the following year Tommy Docherty was appointed (and systematically started dismantling a great squad). He bombed James (swopping him for Don Mason) and replaced him with Gordon Hill.

It would be easy to forget how big a club Derby were at that time and what a star James was.

QPR struggled, he was sold back to Burnley (who had dropped into Div 2) and the Tosh bought him for the Jacks who were flying at the time.

His greatest ever Wales performance was in possibly the greatest ever Wales match (OK that was the Belgium match) when we beat England 4-1 in the Home Championships. James ripped them apart. You can't possibly understand what this result meant to a 13 yr Welsh kid living in England. I would always forgive him is anti-City commentary for this alone:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRg2oWavtlk

The biggest indication of how good he was, is that if was English he would have had a load of caps for England, apart from him that can only be said of Tosh

RIP Leighton James - a true Welsh football great.

The biggest indication of how good he was, is that if was English he would have had a load of caps for England, apart from him that can only be said of Tosh

Um, a certain John Charles !!!
    + loads more

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I know I drove up with Paul Sexton and Hans Pederson, can’t remember the other 2 in the car ?
    Was it you ?

Send us the photo
    I went up on a bus from Canton, Ian King, Trevor Nott etc. I send it over to you. Dan circled me but I’m not sure it’s me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Um, a certain John Charles !!!
    + loads more
    A few of the ‘58 team would have got England caps. What about Southall, Ratcliffe, Rush, Speed, Bale, Ramsey. As you say, there’s plenty who’d have got England caps if they were English.

Sorry guys, should have qualified - "of that 70's team"