+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Colwill thread.

Re: Another Colwill thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I like you didnt go.

My son came straight through the door and said Colwill was superb and just doesnt get why he doesnt play every week.

Ive got loads of friends who support Swansea. Every single one of them commented that they couldnt understand why he didnt start v them as he was different class when he came on.

The threads ive seen this season when weve been utter shit and its turned into Colwill bashing has been ridiculous. So yeah I think fans sometimes dont have a clue.

If Colwill did go to Southampton or a top Championship side im sure hed do really well.

Personally I think hes a real talent who looks comfortable on the ball. For someone so big he should improve his strength and aggression on the ball.

A better coach would get better out of him. I think minimum he will be a top Championship player - but of course i may know nothing as a fan.😂
    I couldn't go either but my boy said he did well especially when he played 10

Felt he probably didn't enough support to tanner early on in terms of defensive duties

I like you didnt go.

My son came straight through the door and said Colwill was superb and just doesnt get why he doesnt play every week.

Ive got loads of friends who support Swansea. Every single one of them commented that they couldnt understand why he didnt start v them as he was different class when he came on.

The threads ive seen this season when weve been utter shit and its turned into Colwill bashing has been ridiculous. So yeah I think fans sometimes dont have a clue.

If Colwill did go to Southampton or a top Championship side im sure hed do really well.

Personally I think hes a real talent who looks comfortable on the ball. For someone so big he should improve his strength and aggression on the ball.

A better coach would get better out of him. I think minimum he will be a top Championship player - but of course i may know nothing as a fan.😂
    I share your lack of knowledge.
    He is the one player I enjoy watching even when the team isn't doing so well.
    I haven't enjoyed watching the skill of any one player since Lee Tomlin.
    When he gets slagged of on here I find myself shaking my head , he has come through our youth system, there is little tolerance.
    At the moment everyone is screaming for the youngsters to be played
    soon as they miss place a pass and we lose they will be getting destroyed on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I share your lack of knowledge.
    He is the one player I enjoy watching even when the team isn't doing so well.
    I haven't enjoyed watching the skill of any one player since Lee Tomlin.
    When he gets slagged of on here I find myself shaking my head , he has come through our youth system, there is little tolerance.
    At the moment everyone is screaming for the youngsters to be played
    soon as they miss place a pass and we lose they will be getting destroyed on here.
    And the last two sentences are what I mean about the emotional stuff that's used in support of Colwill, none of it that true in my opinion, but used by people nevertheless. There's not much articulation on what Colwill does well and what he needs to improve on, that's something I can't understand. It doesn't make for good debate, especially when we're all on the same side.

Colwill's biggest weakness at the moment is composure. There's plenty of times this season and in yesterday's game where he rushed rather than composing himself before shooting/passing etc.

I feel this down to two things:

1) he's still young and learning the game and this is something that will develop with more game time. Game time that is consistent 80-90 minutes a game rather than 15-20 minutes cameos.

2) due to not being consistently in the team he is trying to hard to do something spectacular to impress his manager.

For me to help him develop Bulut or whoever is our next manager needs to trust him as the 10.

I will say for Bulut he has helped Rubin to develop his work rate around the pitch which was an issue last season and earlier this season.

The style of football we have played will never help a creative player but yesterday showed having players around you with pace and energy and can play some football will always bring the best out of players like Colwill.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    Colwill's biggest weakness at the moment is composure. There's plenty of times this season and in yesterday's game where he rushed rather than composing himself before shooting/passing etc.

1) he's still young and learning the game and this is something that will develop with more game time. Game time that is consistent 80-90 minutes a game rather than 15-20 minutes cameos.

2) due to not being consistently in the team he is trying to hard to do something spectacular to impress his manager.

For me to help him develop Bulut or whoever is our next manager needs to trust him as the 10.

I will say for Bulut he has helped Rubin to develop his work rate around the pitch which was an issue last season and earlier this season.

The style of football we have played will never help a creative player but yesterday showed having players around you with pace and energy and can play some football will always bring the best out of players like Colwill.
    I don't agree with all of that, (some of it i do) but good post. It's a well thought out argument which holds some water in my opinion, and you've been critical of the player as well which gives balance. My problem is the posters who think it's all one way and have this pretty unhealthy obsession with young players who come through our system (Even more so if they're Welsh) Good post

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post

He’s the same age as Etete who’s been totally written off as a ‘at best league one striker’

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He’s the same age as Etete who’s been totally written off as a ‘at best league one striker’
    I think Etete will be a good Championship striker. He's got a nice touch and is quick. His issue is he needs to get tougher. I find he's too easy to knock off the ball which unfortunately at the level if you are playing as the lone striker you can't allow. He can also do with working on his heading as well.

Again he's been unfortunate that at times this season he's been required to play as a target man which isn't his game.

He was good when he was moved into the number 10 role yesterday, there's really no point playing him out wide and I don't think Turnbull suits playing as the attacking midfielder

He beats players with ease. There was a point in stoppage time yesterday where he brought a clearance down, beat their defender, went out wide, beat another two and was pulled down for a free kick. I can't see anyone else in our team doing that.

What he does lack is aggression and I think he may be one of the worst players at heading the ball in the league despite being about 7 feet tall. He has certainly improved defensively though this season

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And the last two sentences are what I mean about the emotional stuff that's used in support of Colwill, none of it that true in my opinion, but used by people nevertheless. There's not much articulation on what Colwill does well and what he needs to improve on, that's something I can't understand. It doesn't make for good debate, especially when we're all on the same side.
    He makes space ,can pick a pass and is capable of beating his man .
    Its a good question and I shall pay more attention in future . He has the magical talent to change a game with any of the above.

Tanner started with that amazing goal against Swansea , he hasn't shown much since, yesterday he was selected in the defence against a team known for fast attacking football, he looked like a football player again going forward .
    I am happy to wait with youngsters and give them more than a chance , especially home grown youngsters .
    The belief that you can add King, Davies and any other player out on loan and build a side seems fanciful , you need to mix the youth with a degree of experience. I will be happy to be proved wrong on that one.

He makes space ,can pick a pass and is capable of beating his man .
    Its a good question and I shall pay more attention in future . He has the magical talent to change a game with any of the above.

Tanner started with that amazing goal against Swansea , he hasn't shown much since, yesterday he was selected in the defence against a team known for fast attacking football, he looked like a football player again going forward .
    I am happy to wait with youngsters and give them more than a chance , especially home grown youngsters .
    The belief that you can add King, Davies and any other player out on loan and build a side seems fanciful , you need to mix the youth with a degree of experience. I will be happy to be proved wrong on that one.
    Fair enough Jim. I don't doubt Colwill's natural ability and how he has come on this season on other aspects of his game. The issue i have is his end product. In my opinion it's not great, the success rate (from his point of view) isn't the best. For him to become a top end Championship player-Lower premier league player then it has to improve. It has to, because that's the role he plays. People have a go at Siopis or ralls, or whoever else based on their skill set, what is achievable on their part. And when they fail they're rightly criticised. Colwill possesses a different skill set, and when he fails to make the correct decisions then it's fair game, and he'd know that himself. Problem is that it's ignored on here because he's creative, local, Welsh, came through the academy etc. If people are happy with one great bit of skill in 5 then fair enough, although i bet Colwill isn't, and the people who will or can determine his future wont be either.

I always give him credit when he plays well, has done some exceptional, but for balance i think it only fair to pick up on his frailties as well. That isn't the case on here, people ignore stuff which is important in my opinion, andwe can't really have a sensible debate because some posters opinions are completely clouded with a blind loyalty towards local players, especially if they have come through the ranks.

I'm not sure anybody expects them to be the foundation of the side, but they would be an appropriate way to add squad depth. The two most successful English Clubs are Liverpool and Man City, they only operate a squad of about 20 senior players and then supplement with talented youngsters.

We currently have 23 senior pro's in our squad excluding Tanner and Rubin Colwill who still qualify as U21's. In addition Antwi counts as a senior player and we have 7 more senior players out on loan (Rinhomota, Adams, Davies, Evans, Bagan, Zimba and Ojo). In addition to Tanner and Rubin; King, Conte, Luthra, Turner, Denham, Fagan-Walcott and Kavanagh will, if they are still with us, become senior players next season.

We have a huge squad, we just need more quality guaranteed starters and fewer senior fringe players. Quality not quantity.

International

I like you didnt go.

It's just the consistency that's been keeping him out I think and some decision-making, but he has progressed this season, I would give him and Ashford Man of the match, they were both superb and no doubt will have scouts looking through our videos of this season and keeping a closer eye on their development, things are looking a little bit better on the young player development. Conte also set up the first goal and it was good to see him giving everything and looking surprisingly confident.

My fear is that Colwill will get fed up and another club will snap him up and just about guarantee him a role. Russell Martin being one such manager and who could blame Colwill for leaving to go to a Soton type club

Personally I love watching him play, Conte is also someone who looks very interesting and seemed very self assured on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    My fear is that Colwill will get fed up and another club will snap him up and just about guarantee him a role. Russell Martin being one such manager and who could blame Colwill for leaving to go to a Soton type club

Personally I love watching him play, Conte is also someone who looks very interesting and seemed very self assured on the ball
    Two things I really liked with Conte, when the keeper had the ball, he was looking for space and calling for it, more impressive was the way he ran with the ball, looking to see what was on??

Long way to go, but for his first introduction to the team, he looked confident, composed and enthusiastic
    Great to see

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post

It’d be great business for the club if Martin offers millions for Colwill. We should bite his hand off. I await all these offers for him in the summer. If it does happen, though I deeply suspect it won’t, he’d be a fool to hang around a Tan-owned Cardiff City anyway.

I can't see there being offers for Colwill unless he starts adding more goals & assists to his game.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It’d be great business for the club if Martin offers millions for Colwill. We should bite his hand off. I await all these offers for him in the summer. If it does happen, though I deeply suspect it won’t, he’d be a fool to hang around a Tan-owned Cardiff City anyway.
    Probably a bit soon, but he's coming on well now and will be watched and linked over the next season, he's starting to look like a player in the making.

he’s littered with mistakes with the occasional brilliance.

You should try being a motivational speaker.

I don't agree with all of that, (some of it i do) but good post. It's a well thought out argument which holds some water in my opinion, and you've been critical of the player as well which gives balance. My problem is the posters who think it's all one way and have this pretty unhealthy obsession with young players who come through our system (Even more so if they're Welsh) Good post
    I think the unhealthy obsession is always picking on things Rubin is less good at, not the things he excels at.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I think the unhealthy obsession is always picking on things Rubin is less good at, not the things he excels at.
    That’s not objective either way though. I think what some of us would like to read is more balanced debate which I think is what Tuerto is alluding to. There’s too much bias towards Welsh youth players at Cardiff imo by some fans. I could care less where a Cardiff City player comes from or is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Problem with that is that I always give him credit for the good stuff he does,but let's just say nothing about the things he needs to improve on if his career is to advance. Hr needs to add goals and more assists, because that's the position he plays, it's not that difficult to understand. While we're at it let's say nothing of a goalkeeper who doesn't come for crosses, a full back who can't tackle or a midfield player who can't pass the ball. Let's just concentrate on the positives. I like that.

That’s not objective either way though. I think what some of us would like to read is more balanced debate which I think is what Tuerto is alluding to. There’s too much bias towards Welsh youth players at Cardiff imo by some fans. I could care less where a Cardiff City player comes from or is born.
    Exactly. Thing is, the debate always ends up emotive, straw man tactics. I find it a bit odd that people get so attracted and protective over these players. It's not healthy. They must have their reasons though.

Exactly. Thing is, the debate always ends up emotive, straw man tactics. I find it a bit odd that people get so attracted and protective over these players. It's not healthy. They must have their reasons though.
    Not sure the message board is the place for this balanced approach to debating unfortunately

Look at how many threads get detailed by a few posters and it normally isn't based on what people say it is the person saying it and a historical "gripe" they have with each other and it ends up being an exchange between two or three people for the remainder of the thread

It is a little bit like labour and Tories - one side could find the solution to world poverty but the other side would blow it up because of where it came from

Very polarised views in here around a lot of subjects which is a shame as there are a few really good posters on here but I personally feel they are getting less and less

Back to the subject 😂 I think successive managers have tried to make a consistent success out of colwill and it probably to date hasn't worked so I think maybe his best move is to move away and start again however bulut/club has been criticised for some of the contracts he has issued but he/club also tied down the colwill brothers down to deals so may they see something in the pair of them

Your "bias" is my support. What a ridiculous thing to say. If biased means wanting to encourage and be positive about academy players, then I plead guilty. God only knows we need some talent to come through the ranks, and not to be undermined as they progress. Some people's default position is to picks holes in our young players. I have watched Rubin for about 5 years, since he was in the under 19's. He has always stood out as a talent. Someone with real potential. That doesn't mean he's perfect. But some just want want to focus on his faults. This season the latest one was "he can't last 90 mins" - well he shot that to bits on Saturday. He just keeps proving people wrong.

Problem with that is that I always give him credit for the good stuff he does,but let's just say nothing about the things he needs to improve on if his career is to advance. Hr needs to add goals and more assists, because that's the position he plays, it's not that difficult to understand. While we're at it let's say nothing of a goalkeeper who doesn't come for crosses, a full back who can't tackle or a midfield player who can't pass the ball. Let's just concentrate on the positives. I like that.
    Thanks for you input. I'll not be coming to any of your motivational sessions.