+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defence Spending To Go Up ?

Defence Spending To Go Up ?

Why do we need to increase it ?

Don't we have trident as a deterrent or is that outdated and could it be blown out of the sky with modern defence systems ?

Why are we increasing defence spending if we sell loads of arms to Saudi......to kill the yeminis......

Why are we increasing defence spending if we are arming Israel?

Genuine questions , it seems like nonsense

Isn't our greatest threat from terrorism ?

How likely are Russia or China or Iran going to come stomping over Europe to attack Great Britain ?

You hear ex army commanders on the TV and radio saying the world is a dangerous place but it could be argued they would say that wouldn't they ?

And my uneducated view is sunak is sabre rattling and trying to win votes as he is over benefits and Rwanda etc

Re: Defence Spending To Go Up ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Don't we have trident as a deterrent or is that outdated and could it be blown out of the sky with modern defence systems ?

Why are we increasing defence spending if we sell loads of arms to Saudi......to kill the yeminis......

How likely are Russia or China or Iran going to come stomping over Europe to attack Great Britain ?

You hear ex army commanders on the TV and radio saying the world is a dangerous place but it could be argued they would say that wouldn't they ?

And my uneducated view is sunak is sabre rattling and trying to win votes as he is over benefits and Rwanda etc
    Good for business and pension funds. It’s just a business. The rest is bollox. You can cripple a country by hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Good for business and pension funds. It’s just a business. The rest is bollox. You can cripple a country by hacking.
    I tend to agree

I think a minimal functional nuclear deterrent if affordable is reasonable

But there seems to be a lot of paranoid rule brittania nonsense going on

Surely counter terrorism spending should be the priority these days not feckin tanks for a land battle that's never going to happen

Sunak has been given a massive kick up the backside by his party.
    He's posturing to put them in as good a place as possible going into the elections. The Rwanda Bill, (alleged) increases in Defence spending to name but 2.
    They'll still get stuffed at the ballot box though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sunak has been given a massive kick up the backside by his party.
    He's posturing to put them in as good a place as possible going into the elections. The Rwanda Bill, (alleged) increases in Defence spending to name but 2.
    They'll still get stuffed at the ballot box though.
    I certainly hope so

I am glad labour have said they will scrap the Rwanda flights

Russia hasn't managed it in respect of Ukraine.

Which countries have been crippled by hacking?

We need it because Russia is going to march to Kiev, and then all the way through Poland. After a short breather they'll pick up where they left off and power through Germany. Next France[which won't take long -never did], and then they'll set sail for the UK in rubber dingys. WW3 is coming !! At least it'll take folks minds off climate change..

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Which countries have been crippled by hacking?
    Poland in February this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Russia hasn't managed it in respect of Ukraine.
    Which is surprising and strategically odd when Russia are one of the biggest sources of cyber attacks after China.

https://x.com/bgatesisapyscho/status...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

In case you’re wondering why our roads are falling apart, you can’t afford the rent, let alone a house, your schools are overcrowded, the streets are unsafe, NHS waiting list time is forever & slightly curiousness as to why a tin of coffee is over £6 now…..

It’s because after the Government spent billions trying to fight an invisible virus, our Defence Secretary is flying around on Private Jets giving your all tax payer money to the most corrupt country in Europe, for a war they can never win.

Doesn’t make sense does it?

Unless it does.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

In case you’re wondering why our roads are falling apart, you can’t afford the rent, let alone a house, your schools are overcrowded, the streets are unsafe, NHS waiting list time is forever & slightly curiousness as to why a tin of coffee is over £6 now…..

It’s because after the Government spent billions trying to fight an invisible virus, our Defence Secretary is flying around on Private Jets giving your all tax payer money to the most corrupt country in Europe, for a war they can never win.

Unless it does.
    That’s an interesting thread on X. I’m liking this reply in the stream:

‘Here's a crazy idea
    How About Live in Peace with our neighbors and break bread with our adversaries. How about finding commonality rather than divisions

In this way we can take that 2.5% for military production and divert it back to the people and they spend on themselves’

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We need it because Russia is going to march to Kiev, and then all the way through Poland. After a short breather they'll pick up where they left off and power through Germany. Next France[which won't take long -never did], and then they'll set sail for the UK in rubber dingys. WW3 is coming !! At least it'll take folks minds off climate change..
    A lot of people think like that which is worrying

I never really understood the race to claim x% of GDP spent on defense, seems like the pr wing of some arms firm manufactured it into existence as a standard and probably can't believe their luck that everyone fell for it.

Surely you just spend what you need, why does your gdp going up or down change that.

I would just stay out of all of it if i was running the country (don't worry lads, its not likely to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I never really understood the race to claim x% of GDP spent on defense, seems like the pr wing of some arms firm manufactured it into existence as a standard and probably can't believe their luck that everyone fell for it.

Surely you just spend what you need, why does your gdp going up or down change that.

I would just stay out of all of it if i was running the country (don't worry lads, its not likely to happen).
    Tory party in shock rise to the right and tax cuts just before the election

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Unless it does.
    Someone told Rishi the British public are more worried about Russia invading us, than getting mugged/robbed/dying waiting for an operation. A sure fired vote winner !!!

That’s an interesting thread on X. I’m liking this reply in the stream:

‘Here's a crazy idea
    How About Live in Peace with our neighbors and break bread with our adversaries. How about finding commonality rather than divisions

In this way we can take that 2.5% for military production and divert it back to the people and they spend on themselves’
    You're right: it's a crazy idea. It's unrealistic and naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Bullseye!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You're right: it's a crazy idea. It's unrealistic and naive.
    I didn’t write it. I just said I’m liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bullseye!
    👍

Tory party in shock rise to the right and tax cuts just before the election
    👍

It's because it's a NATO commitment and we are members of NATO. We are far closer to it than other, in fact I think we already surpass the 2% target.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's because it's a NATO commitment and we are members of NATO. We are far closer to it than other, in fact I think we already surpass the 2% target.
    Yeah I get that and it's intended to give a whiff of equity but it's an inherently stupid way of determining use of taxpayer funds.

Do we do it with anything else?

And yet the strength of the current UK army ( about 1 or 2 divisions) would last about 3 days in a ground combat operation against Russia or China