Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
The council restricted the amount of bedrooms a house could have after people complained about landlords squeezing 6-8 bedrooms into a house. Unfortunately, this was after 15 years of letting them do whatever they wanted and never checking to see if a landlord had added a couple more bedrooms on the sly. I think you can still apply for a HMO but for a smaller number, although I saw plans being approved for a 6 bed house recently.

I had to move out in the end. Was disappointed because apart from (some of) the students it was a good place to live.
The HMO licensing for Cardiff has collapsed by all accounts, the council made the ridiculous move or idea to try an introduce families back into the area by not re issueing licences. No families want to live among the student population, any decent landlords had enough and started to sell up, probably to the new type of idiot landlord in for a quick buck. A guy I know who has about 25 houses said you can basically just do what you want now, whether that’s actually true or not I don’t know. I dont think Cathays has changed that much over the years, if anything, the students cannot cope with getting the refuse correct, they either miss it or contaminate it so it’s left to be ripped apart. Most of the houses are run by horrible agencies so they chuck everything on the street come end of contract.
The council really need to get a grip of it, all they seem to do is cut services so we are where we are. Still, there’s a few nice cycle lanes about and another few million being spent on one along the rec for no apparent reason.