+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff as an area.

Cardiff as an area.

I don't live in Cardiff, and only venture in as far as the CCS and home these days but today I had to drive to near the museum and feck me, the place is a shitehole!!

When and how did it get so bad!? The buildings and houses look dilapidated and the streets were filthy.

For our capital city, I'm really disappointed. When I've been to shitholes around Britain like Birmingham, I've always been shocked and thought that people from home would never put up with that nonsense.

What the hell is going on?

Re: Cardiff as an area.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I don't live in Cardiff, and only venture in as far as the CCS and home these days but today I had to drive to near the museum and feck me, the place is a shitehole!!

When and how did it get so bad!? The buildings and houses look dilapidated and the streets were filthy.

For our capital city, I'm really disappointed. When I've been to shitholes around Britain like Birmingham, I've always been shocked and thought that people from home would never put up with that nonsense.

Do you mean Cathays? There’s always rubbish everywhere, bins etc….not noticed much else change that said the people running the city and country are useless so it is what it is…..

I'm guessing you drove through Cathays? Chock block with HMO's and a lack of infrastructure. Student land. It's an absolute pit, Rats everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Do you mean Cathays? There’s always rubbish everywhere, bins etc….not noticed much else change that said the people running the city and country are useless so it is what it is…..
    The Council have plenty to answer for in allowing Cathays to go the way it did-Has. They've stopped the HMO's and clamped down on the landlords who were taking the piss. Go there when the students leave their accommodation and they have to throw everything out and clean the place in order to get their bond back. It's disgraceful. I don't know why the Council just don't chuck a load of skips there, manned, for a week and hit the landlords with some kind of tax to pay for it.

For Cardiff read most places.

The UK has gone backwards over the past 15 years.

International

Drippy and his Cardiff counselors are more interested in daft ideas to be different.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm guessing you drove through Cathays? Chock block with HMO's and a lack of infrastructure. Student land. It's an absolute pit, Rats everywhere.
    Yeah, Cathays.

There was literally ripped open black bags strewn across the floor, broken windows and the people looked miserable as feck, which is either a symptom or a cause.

To be fair, a few houses looked like they had pride about them but it was like pissing in the wind.

It was quite oppressive and I couldn't wait to get on the M4.

The reason why I've been moved enough to post my observations is because I've been thinking a lot recently about the society we live in and questioning when we lost our sense of our environment. It would be very difficult to pinpoint a definitive time, of course but it seems to have got worse in the last 10 years or so.

Most areas of Cardiff are shitholes , it's a combination of people with no self respect and a Council struggling to fund the up keep.

Yeah, Cathays.

There was literally ripped open black bags strewn across the floor, broken windows and the people looked miserable as feck, which is either a symptom or a cause.

To be fair, a few houses looked like they had pride about them but it was like pissing in the wind.

The reason why I've been moved enough to post my observations is because I've been thinking a lot recently about the society we live in and questioning when we lost our sense of our environment. It would be very difficult to pinpoint a definitive time, of course but it seems to have got worse in the last 10 years or so.
    Student areas have always been a bit run down ?

In terms of littering I think people have always done it

When I go fishing in porthcawl the amount of rubbish people leave is appalling

Same sort of people who park in disabled only places

Absolute low life's

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Council have plenty to answer for in allowing Cathays to go the way it did-Has. They've stopped the HMO's and clamped down on the landlords who were taking the piss. Go there when the students leave their accommodation and they have to throw everything out and clean the place in order to get their bond back. It's disgraceful. I don't know why the Council just don't chuck a load of skips there, manned, for a week and hit the landlords with some kind of tax to pay for it.
    The council restricted the amount of bedrooms a house could have after people complained about landlords squeezing 6-8 bedrooms into a house. Unfortunately, this was after 15 years of letting them do whatever they wanted and never checking to see if a landlord had added a couple more bedrooms on the sly. I think you can still apply for a HMO but for a smaller number, although I saw plans being approved for a 6 bed house recently.

I had to move out in the end. Was disappointed because apart from (some of) the students it was a good place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The council restricted the amount of bedrooms a house could have after people complained about landlords squeezing 6-8 bedrooms into a house. Unfortunately, this was after 15 years of letting them do whatever they wanted and never checking to see if a landlord had added a couple more bedrooms on the sly. I think you can still apply for a HMO but for a smaller number, although I saw plans being approved for a 6 bed house recently.

I had to move out in the end. Was disappointed because apart from (some of) the students it was a good place to live.
    Thanks for that. Cathays is a great place, location etc. And there's a decent vibe about the place, never threatening. It's like an abandoned Holiday camp during the summer, so much so that some places close up due to their reliance on students, which are replaced by builders.

Do the Council have people who check?

Do any Councils?

Mine doesn't - apart from a few overworked survivors of the the great Austerity Cull since 2010 who manage the odd sample check of known rogue landlords.

Once upon a time it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Most areas of Cardiff are shitholes , it's a combination of people with no self respect and a Council struggling to fund the up keep.
    Most, is a bit over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    That’s bollocks

The HMO licensing for Cardiff has collapsed by all accounts, the council made the ridiculous move or idea to try an introduce families back into the area by not re issueing licences. No families want to live among the student population, any decent landlords had enough and started to sell up, probably to the new type of idiot landlord in for a quick buck. A guy I know who has about 25 houses said you can basically just do what you want now, whether that’s actually true or not I don’t know. I dont think Cathays has changed that much over the years, if anything, the students cannot cope with getting the refuse correct, they either miss it or contaminate it so it’s left to be ripped apart. Most of the houses are run by horrible agencies so they chuck everything on the street come end of contract.
    The council really need to get a grip of it, all they seem to do is cut services so we are where we are. Still, there’s a few nice cycle lanes about and another few million being spent on one along the rec for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do any Councils?

Mine doesn't - apart from a few overworked survivors of the the great Austerity Cull since 2010 who manage the odd sample check of known rogue landlords.

RCT in Treforest check their HMO’s a lot….a different ball game to running one in Cardiff. Think Cardiff council were hoping most students would just go an live in the new swanky tower block halls they let these big corporations build, leaving Cathays free to try and sort it out.
    It’s not really working out that way though…..

Yeah, Cathays.

Most local areas the same I think.

They've upgraded the kids playground by us, new pitch laid for football/basketball its all nicely fenced (old one wasn't and every goal would mean a kid running miles to retrieve the ball) and the whole park is just full of litter from the kids who have absolutely no respect for the area, it's definitely helped in getting more kids out to play rather than sitting on their tablets at home, but they just don't look after anything, who do you blame for that?

Too many chiefs not enough indians is a phrase that springs to mind. There is a lack of people on the ground doing the simpler things that can make a difference - clearing litter, cutting back vegetation, painting railings and the like. I dont think Cardiff is particularly bad though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    RCT in Treforest check their HMO’s a lot….a different ball game to running one in Cardiff. Think Cardiff council were hoping most students would just go an live in the new swanky tower block halls they let these big corporations build, leaving Cathays free to try and sort it out.
    It’s not really working out that way though…..
    Treforest is full of dog shit. Everywhere you step. Whole place has been overtaken by students and you can tell it's gotten gradually worse as the years have gone by, litter on the streets etc. Weirdly they all seem decent when you talk to them, no real anti social issues mad parties etc. But yeah the place is a shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do any Councils?

I know someone who works for the council and he asked the office directly about this but didn't get a satisfactory answer. Maybe there's too many and there would be too much litigation.

With regards to the rubbish, the council have at least tried to get this in order with directives and threats of fines but according to a councillor it was difficult to prove whose rubbish was whose, even if it's strewn outside someone's house.

Even though the council have mismanaged the area in some ways, I have a little sympathy for them. Some of them have good intentions but they're skint. The university, on the other hand, don't seem to give a toss and are only interested in buying up more land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Treforest is full of dog shit. Everywhere you step. Whole place has been overtaken by students and you can tell it's gotten gradually worse as the years have gone by, litter on the streets etc. Weirdly they all seem decent when you talk to them, no real anti social issues mad parties etc. But yeah the place is a shithole.
    They are all foreign students now, well must be 80% anyway. 20 years ago probably 20%. Quite clueless when it comes to rubbish but they can be educated and don’t like the thought of being fined. Never seen much dog crap, nine on my street, never even seen a dog!

I know someone who works for the council and he asked the office directly about this but didn't get a satisfactory answer. Maybe there's too many and there would be too much litigation.

With regards to the rubbish, the council have at least tried to get this in order with directives and threats of fines but according to a councillor it was difficult to prove whose rubbish was whose, even if it's strewn outside someone's house.

Even though the council have mismanaged the area in some ways, I have a little sympathy for them. Some of them have good intentions but they're skint. The university, on the other hand, don't seem to give a toss and are only interested in buying up more land.
    Yes heard a group of cardiff landlords got together to take the council to court, think the council lost or backed off….

it's (Cathays) far from the worst student area I've seen, it's mostly safe, has a good vibe and some decent places to eat, usually there isn't even that much litter - but if you catch it on a bad day it's horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's (Cathays) far from the worst student area I've seen, it's mostly safe, has a good vibe and some decent places to eat, usually there isn't even that much litter - but if you catch it on a bad day it's horrendous.
    This is very accurate. It's terrible at end of term times , when the students are clearing out all the stuff they won't take with them. That can be eight people in one house. Add at least an extra 4 bags per person if they're female.