Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
2 stand-out quotes from this BBC piece:

"The MP, who still works on NHS wards, said he had been thinking about quitting the Conservatives for the last few months, having been first elected in 2010. The strain on the NHS made his mind up".

"He suggested the party had stopped valuing public services, saying: "The difficulty for the Conservative Party is that the party I was elected into valued public services... it had a compassionate view about supporting the more disadvantaged in society".

Both of which I think are absolute w*nk. I'm very glad he's standing down as an MP at the next election. I'm not sure I'd trust his decision-making as a Dr either.
BTW, I think they're w*nk because it's taken him 14 years to work out the strain on the NHS and that he thought (in 2010 presumably) that the Conservative Party have valued public services and have been compassionate about supporting the more disadvantaged in society for the last 30 odd years.

He was also part of the crowd that set the austerity train rolling. Where did he think that ride was going to lead?