+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One step forward, two steps back Cardiff finish their home season with another defeat.

One step forward, two steps back Cardiff finish their home season with another defeat.

Another heavy loss, but will it have any effect on manager decision?

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net

Re: One step forward, two steps back Cardiff finish their home season with another defeat.

The football during home games has generally been dull, defensive and utterly sterile, and yet the side has ended up losing the same number of games at the CCS as last season's relegation strugglers and has conceded eight more goals in the process. I think that speaks volumes.

I firmly believe this side and its manager have been extremely fortunate to be in the top half off the table and that's a belief I've held for most of the season.

Re: One step forward, two steps back Cardiff finish their home season with another defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The football during home games has generally been dull, defensive and utterly sterile, and yet the side has ended up losing the same number of games at the CCS as last season's relegation strugglers and has conceded eight more goals in the process. I think that speaks volumes.

I firmly believe this side and its manager have been extremely fortunate to be in the top half off the table and that's a belief I've held for most of the season.
    Without a doubt. We haven't had an unlucky defeat in ages while quite a few of our wins have been on the fortunate side. I hadn't noticed that we'd conceded 8 more at home than last season - another stat that makes for grim reading and there are several other stats that compare less favourably than last seasons struggles.

At the end of 46 games I dont really think you are lucky to be where you are.

We have just become really dangerous at set pieces again.

It was some achievement by Steve Morison to turn us into the worst side at set plays from one of or maybe the best.

I think thats the big turnaround from last season. Where we are in the league on set play stats.?If we are really high up thats the answer to why we are where we are.

We need to maintain our threat from set plays and find a system to play entertaining front foot attacking football. Bulut has improved us at set plays but the football has been terrible. Slow passing from the back , no or little pressing just sit back and get everyone behind the ball.

It looks like he will get a new deal. I hope theres a direction of young players with a potential sell on value and not ageing players from abroad who he has worked with from before or knows from his previous jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

We have just become really dangerous at set pieces again.

It was some achievement by Steve Morison to turn us into the worst side at set plays from one of or maybe the best.

I think thats the big turnaround from last season. Where we are in the league on set play stats.?If we are really high up thats the answer to why we are where we are.

We need to maintain our threat from set plays and find a system to play entertaining front foot attacking football. Bulut has improved us at set plays but the football has been terrible. Slow passing from the back , no or little pressing just sit back and get everyone behind the ball.

It looks like he will get a new deal. I hope theres a direction of young players with a potential sell on value and not ageing players from abroad who he has worked with from before or knows from his previous jobs.
    I think it would be incredible to maintain our threat from set pieces. At one point in the season our scoring rate was ridiculous from them, unsustainably so, but that has levelled off somewhat as we've been less potent from them as the season has drawn to a conclusion.

I dont disagree but isn't it just a case of the reality of how championship games are won and lost?

Occasionally the championship sees an actual good team who can win games properly. Reading years ago. Newcastle. Leicester most of this season. Teams who are just better than those they playing against.

However perhaps most games are won when neither side has played particularly well and it just comes down to late goals and set plays?

Likewise at the bottom you occasionally get a very very poor side like Rotherham this season but overall there is little difference in quality between sides who go down and sides who get play offs.

Eg us with trollope would have been relegated to league 1 but warnock pretty much took that team up automatically (with a couple of additions of free agents and free transfers). That's the difference.

That argument is often used to say the Championship is the best league in the world as there is genuinely so little between all the teams but could also argue that's because of the poor quality rather than anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    However perhaps most games are won when neither side has played particularly well and it just comes down to late goals and set plays?
    I’m amazed anyone who has watched City’s home games this season would make such a suggestion. Our mob have been totally outplayed on a number of occasions in losses that haven’t come down to late goals or set plays. The same is true for most of the away defeats.

City have tended to win games via late goals or set plays, but lose games after being a distinct second best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but this season has thrown up so many stats that would suggest otherwise. It’s been an extremely strange campaign all things considered.

City are going to finish in the top half of the table but haven’t genuinely outplayed an opponent since October. That’s six months. It’s crazy really.

So again it appears we have the cardiff city logic out of the window analysis

We win ......we were lucky , it went in off the defenders arse

We lose .....we were totally crap and it should have been 8 nil

Bipolar Disorder , Cardiff City style

I dont disagree but isn't it just a case of the reality of how championship games are won and lost?

Occasionally the championship sees an actual good team who can win games properly. Reading years ago. Newcastle. Leicester most of this season. Teams who are just better than those they playing against.

Likewise at the bottom you occasionally get a very very poor side like Rotherham this season but overall there is little difference in quality between sides who go down and sides who get play offs.

Eg us with trollope would have been relegated to league 1 but warnock pretty much took that team up automatically (with a couple of additions of free agents and free transfers). That's the difference.

That argument is often used to say the Championship is the best league in the world as there is genuinely so little between all the teams but could also argue that's because of the poor quality rather than anything else?
    Sides cut adrift at the bottom or running away with it ......Rotherham.....Leicester, Leeds , Ipswich ......are out of the bubble

Everyone else is in the mix

Football fans are basically utterly stupid

Southampton , West Brom , Norwich have all turned on their managers at various points this season

Bulut has us mid table , never really bothering the bottom 6

Improve the football and people will be all over him like a rash

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sides cut adrift at the bottom or running away with it ......Rotherham.....Leicester, Leeds , Ipswich ......are out of the bubble

Southampton , West Brom , Norwich have all turned on their managers at various points this season

Mid table, never really bothering the bottom 6 was pretty much was I was realistically hoping for from this season after the previous couple. If you'd told me last August that our new manager would achieve that but I'd still want him to be replaced I'd have said that was ridiculous, but that's somehow what he's managed to achieve. Boring, negative, stubborn, but somehow, points on the board. It's been a very weird season.

Sadly Sludgey, I think it is impossible for Bulut to improve the football
    Last edited by Mr Soul '68; 28-04-24 at 11:15. Reason: sPelluNG

So again it appears we have the cardiff city logic out of the window analysis

We win ......we were lucky , it went in off the defenders arse

We lose .....we were totally crap and it should have been 8 nil

Bipolar Disorder , Cardiff City style
    Imagine what we would say if any other club sacked their manager because while the results he got were more than decent the board decided too many of the wins he got were deemed as lucky so he had to go. Laughable.

One thing being overlooked in all this is that we have operated all season with effectively 3rd and 4th choice strikers, none of whom have looked to trouble the goalie.
    We have used Etete who I refuse to believe is Championship standard, Meite who is a winger, Grant ditto and Diedhiou who hardly played in last 2 seasons.
    With a seasoned striker who could offer 10 goals a season I am convinced these single goal wins would often be turned into 2/3 goal wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    One thing being overlooked in all this is that we have operated all season with effectively 3rd and 4th choice strikers, none of whom have looked to trouble the goalie.
    So who was responsible for recruiting a decent striker? It was obvious this time last year that the club didn’t have one. It still doesn’t have one. So why not?

Imagine what we would say if any other club sacked their manager because while the results he got were more than decent the board decided too many of the wins he got were deemed as lucky so he had to go. Laughable.
    Lots of clubs part ways with managers after mediocre mid-table seasons. Cardiff wouldn’t be the first by any means.

Lots of clubs part ways with managers after mediocre mid-table seasons. Cardiff wouldn’t be the first by any means.
    Well I think we may finish 9th looking at the fixtures left. Worst case scenario is we finish 12th.

Considering we finished 21st last season and 18th the season before that's not too bad.

Huddersfield, Rotherham , QPR birmingham and stoke were the 5 who finished immediately above us last season. 2 of them have now been relegated, the other is in the bottom 3 and he other 2 got to safety this weekend after being in a relegation battle all season.

We leapfrogged all 5 and haven't been near the bottom 3 at any time. Maybe we've just been luckier than them?

Those people who want Bulut to leave are generally not unhappy with results but at the god awful football he's served up.

We leapfrogged all 5 and haven't been near the bottom 3 at any time. Maybe we've just been luckier than them?
    Over the course of the campaign we’ve been considerably luckier than any other City team I’ve witnessed during my 49 years as a supporter, so there’s a good chance we have been luckier than them.

I think 1 step forward 2 back is a bit unfair even though I am really hoping we bring in a new and better manager.

It’s more like 1.1 step forward 1 back. There is progress but I don’t see Bulut as the best candidate for this club.

I am still torn.

I love direct lob it over the full-back with athletes chasing it down but accept to progress we have to keep the ball longer, although Bulut thinks that's the goal rather than the goal.

We need some sort of continuity as we probably need to move on nearly all our CM's except Ralls and you need to have made up your mind before the season ends to work out who has to go and start making those arrangements.

As its a results business, the 12~10th position is huge and his savior and anyone looking in from the outside would think we are insane as we are progressing, but it may be a chalice next season as "we were 21st last season" excuse has gone. Can he move us into the playoff reckoning ?

He is going to need 5 offensive players whilst making our disjointed bloated sqaud more streamlined and play the kids more.

I get the "believers"; we are on a journey, but Jesus this season was boring and if he stays he needs to understand we won't stomach that next season.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I am still torn.

I love direct lob it over the full-back with athletes chasing it down but accept to progress we have to keep the ball longer, although Bulut thinks that's the goal rather than the goal.

We need some sort of continuity as we probably need to move on nearly all our CM's except Ralls and you need to have made up your mind before the season ends to work out who has to go and start making those arrangements.

As its a results business, the 12~10th position is huge and his savior and anyone looking in from the outside would think we are insane as we are progressing, but it may be a chalice next season as "we were 21st last season" excuse has gone. Can he move us into the playoff reckoning ?

He is going to need 5 offensive players whilst making our disjointed bloated sqaud more streamlined and play the kids more.

I get the "believers"; we are on a journey, but Jesus this season was boring and if he stays he needs to understand we won't stomach that next season.
    I'm old enough to remember when this board was full of posts saying we needed to modernise and learn to keep the ball better. No pleasing some people

Dave jones got lots of stick for no plan b and his team being bottlers.

Malky football was boring but he was popular individually but this board was full of how boring his football was.

Ole was a shambles and the fans would often let him know he didn't know what he was doing.

Slade was mocked constantly.

Trollope doesn't need comment.

Warnock was popular in the ground but on this message board? As any thread on him will show there's plenty of comments on his style of play and poor transfers etc....

Harris was mocked.

Mad mick was mad mick and had many chants against him.

Morison and hudson? Mocked.

Sabri? Similar to bulut in that people had some respect for him achieving the job but no tears when he moved on.

Who has ever been popular here? Eddie mays barmy army?! Mind you if this message board was around then I'm sure Eddie would have had more than his fair share of critics about how lucky his team was or something.

I'm old enough to remember when this board was full of posts saying we needed to modernise and learn to keep the ball better. No pleasing some people

Dave jones got lots of stick for no plan b and his team being bottlers.

Malky football was boring but he was popular individually but this board was full of how boring his football was.

Ole was a shambles and the fans would often let him know he didn't know what he was doing.

Slade was mocked constantly.

Trollope doesn't need comment.

Warnock was popular in the ground but on this message board? As any thread on him will show there's plenty of comments on his style of play and poor transfers etc....

Harris was mocked.

Mad mick was mad mick and had many chants against him.

Morison and hudson? Mocked.

Sabri? Similar to bulut in that people had some respect for him achieving the job but no tears when he moved on.

Who has ever been popular here? Eddie mays barmy army?! Mind you if this message board was around then I'm sure Eddie would have had more than his fair share of critics about how lucky his team was or something.
    It's just fortunate we have had so many universally popular owners to unite the fan base over the last 40 years isn't it.......

Those who are disgruntled, like myself, probably feel - as one fan put it - that the improvement is built on sand. I cannot recall winning so many games in which we have been outplayed and should have lost. I fear next year will not be the same and teams may rediscover their shooting boots’ against us, as Middlesbrough did on the weekend. On the style of play, passing around is all well and good but we hardly ever do that to move forward purposely. The plan is to somehow stay in the game to 80 minutes then we will think of having a go. It’s utterly depressing.

It's waking the dead on here sometimes