+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Bulut Stays-Can He Succeed?

International

Re: If Bulut Stays-Can He Succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Unless he changes his formation and tactics he'll be gone by Christmas, regardless of who he signs.
    I think he will be gone next week, if not he will improve us, but time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    No you can't compare, he's good but Ramsey is a class above but also injury prone we can't really expect too many minutes from wither next year and need quality attacking players and a Striker.
    Ike Ugbo scored 4 goals in 20 appearances for Bulut's Cardiff City side.

He's scored 7 in 17 appearances for struggling Sheffield Wednesday.

Any theories on why that has happened?

Bulut on formations last June:
    "My style, my favourite, is 4-2-3-1, sometimes 4-3-3," he said. "We can speak a lot about systems, 2-5-2, 4-4-2.

"But in the game, all my players should know what we have to do within the game. Sometimes it's three at the back in a different system. At the start, it could look like a 4-2-3-1 but it could change, depending on what we have to do."

Needs to change it (probably not to 2-5-2!)

He also said on transfers:

"We need in every department. Offensive department, Cardiff last season scored only 41 goals. Second bottom scorers.

"In attacking, we have to invest, in my opinion. Also in the midfield. Attacking is not only wingers, strikers, No.10. This will start from the back, from the goalkeeper."

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Style I suspect. I don’t know Sheff Weds style. But he isn’t a back-to-goal striker that thrives off slow build up.

If Wednesday play with a quick counter attack and ball through the middle, or wingers who get wide early, beat their man and whip it in quick, or target man flicking it on behind in a 4-4-2, 3-5-2 with Ugbo running behind, then Ugbo would thrive.

Bulut’s attacks tend to be big set pieces, or the ball out wide (rarely put behind down the middle quickly). In a 4-5-1 no second runner behind with legs with flick ons so we rarely see that. So Ugbo would struggle.

So I am guessing style.

More on Bulut’s issues. This is my take. I think Bulut came in, was given a budget, and is a systems man. He has a system he knows well and is good at.

But we have built a 4-5-1 style without the players to support that style. His system looks to replicate AC Milan around 1990s with Van Basten in it. Well that is what he is trying to accomplish at this much lower level, without it being as effective as he wants. But that style requires one or more of following:

1. Wide men who can beat players and deliver quality, or full backs overlapping to deliver and wide men cutting inside to hunt for goals or creativity

2. Central midfielders who are mobile and can defend as well create chances and support the single attacker with goals

So far we have not the required success on .1 as service is slow or barely existent. And on .2, our central midfielders have not been successful enough in goal contribution nor defensive shit outs. Nor are they mobile enough in my view to support such a system.

If above cannot be done, then a defence as a nun’s proverbial is required, and you base your entire tactics on a compact 5 man midfield that restricts the space, and goals come in the form of set pieces, quick counters or the central striker being all-encompassing all-rounder: in the sense that he will be big and hard enough to play back to goal, clever enough in skill to bring in other players, and fast enough to take a quick ball centrally in between or either side of the full back. 1-0s, 2-0s being the scores you look for. Containment, restrict, nick a goal.

Where it failed for us? I’d say a combination of…

1. Midfield not mobile enough to be equally effective in defence and attack: vital for this system

2. Wide men not fast and creative enough

3. Strikers don’t fit the system. Whereas Milan had Weah, Meite had none of it. Diedhou is a fox in the box man that needs service. Etete is good on crosses and set pieces but no pace or skill, so he loses the ball and can’t get through.

Kieffer Moore could have been the man to make the difference for us. He can hold it up, flick it on, race through and make set pieces effective. He is an all rounder. Had we had decent wingers, I also think Karlan Grant would have been our most effective 9. He can hold it up, he can race in behind for a quick ball, he can get on the end of wingers crosses, and his goal rate at WBA suggest he can score 1 in 2, but at least 1 in 3 at this level. Wasted on the wing.

So can Bulut succeed?

It all rests in budget, player availability and agent contacts. If he can solve above issues then we could build and hit the playoffs next year. But this system is highly technical and tactical - the right players HAVE to fit in.

If not, get the players that are good and available, and change the system to suit their strengths. But for that to happen, he needs to have the knowledge to coach the new system well. If he is hell bent on this system and cannot get the players, we can expect another average season in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    More on Bulut’s issues. This is my take. I think Bulut came in, was given a budget, and is a systems man. He has a system he knows well and is good at.

But we have built a 4-5-1 style without the players to support that style. His system looks to replicate AC Milan around 1990s with Van Basten in it. Well that is what he is trying to accomplish at this much lower level, without it being as effective as he wants. But that style requires one or more of following:

1. Wide men who can beat players and deliver quality, or full backs overlapping to deliver and wide men cutting inside to hunt for goals or creativity

2. Central midfielders who are mobile and can defend as well create chances and support the single attacker with goals

So far we have not the required success on .1 as service is slow or barely existent. And on .2, our central midfielders have not been successful enough in goal contribution nor defensive shit outs. Nor are they mobile enough in my view to support such a system.

If above cannot be done, then a defence as a nun’s proverbial is required, and you base your entire tactics on a compact 5 man midfield that restricts the space, and goals come in the form of set pieces, quick counters or the central striker being all-encompassing all-rounder: in the sense that he will be big and hard enough to play back to goal, clever enough in skill to bring in other players, and fast enough to take a quick ball centrally in between or either side of the full back. 1-0s, 2-0s being the scores you look for. Containment, restrict, nick a goal.

1. Midfield not mobile enough to be equally effective in defence and attack: vital for this system

3. Strikers don’t fit the system. Whereas Milan had Weah, Meite had none of it. Diedhou is a fox in the box man that needs service. Etete is good on crosses and set pieces but no pace or skill, so he loses the ball and can’t get through.

Kieffer Moore could have been the man to make the difference for us. He can hold it up, flick it on, race through and make set pieces effective. He is an all rounder. Had we had decent wingers, I also think Karlan Grant would have been our most effective 9. He can hold it up, he can race in behind for a quick ball, he can get on the end of wingers crosses, and his goal rate at WBA suggest he can score 1 in 2, but at least 1 in 3 at this level. Wasted on the wing.

So can Bulut succeed?

It all rests in budget, player availability and agent contacts. If he can solve above issues then we could build and hit the playoffs next year. But this system is highly technical and tactical - the right players HAVE to fit in.

If not, get the players that are good and available, and change the system to suit their strengths. But for that to happen, he needs to have the knowledge to coach the new system well. If he is hell bent on this system and cannot get the players, we can expect another average season in my view.
    Lost me at Milan around the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    heard Merthyr played like that on Saturday. A thumping 7-1 win just missing out in the play offs too i see

you think they will go one step further next season ?

International

Maybe he had an unlucky streak followed by a lucky streak?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Maybe he had an unlucky streak followed by a lucky streak?
    Maybe.

Although I'm not suggesting Ugbo is a major factor in this, I noticed earlier that since he's joined them Wednesday have won by two or more goals on five separate occasions and have scored three goals in a game twice, and that's despite being in the relegation zone almost constantly during that time. Erol Bulut's Cardiff City haven't managed to do either of those things since October.

International

Maybe.

Although I'm not suggesting Ugbo is a major factor in this, I noticed earlier that since he's joined them Wednesday have won by two or more goals on five separate occasions and have scored three goals in a game twice, and that's despite being in the relegation zone almost constantly during that time. Erol Bulut's Cardiff City haven't managed to do either of those things since October.
    Maybe it's that Danny Rohl is a much better Manager than Xisco Munoz who had a 0% win ratio in 12 games, and he dragged them out of a false position to safety?

I quite liked Ugbo, he seemed more of a natural goalscorer than most of ours, I think he was moved out as Bulut thought Moore or the Greek/Turk Striker was incoming, and in the end had to settle for Jay-Jew.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    heard Merthyr played like that on Saturday. A thumping 7-1 win just missing out in the play offs too i see

you think they will go one step further next season ?
    I doubt it, they should have done it this year, was in the play offs or autos all season then dropped out with 1 game to go. Very inconsistent 2nd half of the season but they are a young side and a likeable bunch as a team so cant be too critical.

I think this is their level to be honest and theres talk their star man, Ricardo Rees, will be off to a club higher up the pyramid in the summer.

Jack Evans - Joe Rodons best mate and personal trainer - leaving for a club further north to be closer to Rodon didnt help. Lovely player he was.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I am not surprised grandpa. I think you have been lost full stop, since the 1990s. Go and finish your jigsaw.

International

I am not surprised grandpa. I think you have been lost full stop, since the 1990s. Go and finish your jigsaw.

Savage

So can Bulut succeed?

So you are saying he knows his system, and brought in Turnbull and Diedhou despite them not fitting his system?

Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    So you are saying he knows his system, and brought in Turnbull and Diedhou despite them not fitting his system?

Fantastic.
    Is there anyone as contradictory as you on this forum? You constantly bang on about letting people having an opinion, yet jump on anyone who’s opinion differs from yours. Make your mind up ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    Is there anyone as contradictory as you on this forum? You constantly bang on about letting people having an opinion, yet jump on anyone who’s opinion differs from yours. Make your mind up ffs.
    Where did I not allow him to have an opinion? If you know me so well, you'd realise I was having a dig at Bulut for having a system and bringing in players that don't suit it. I sarcastically thought it was fantastic.

Glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Where did I not allow him to have an opinion? If you know me so well, you'd realise I was having a dig at Bulut for having a system and bringing in players that don't suit it. I sarcastically thought it was fantastic.

Glad I could help.
    I didn’t read it as a dig actually. I think the problem is that Bulut maybe wanted 4-3-3 up his sleeve, and Diedhou could work with inverted wingers playing 1-2’s off him, but I think the combination of personnel didn’t click.

I think Diedhou is a superb fox-in-the-box and a good technician. But you see his body language and work rate drop when he doesn’t see enough ball. I genuinely believe he is one of those players where if the team gets plenty of supply into the box he would hit 20 goals a season. A cheap version of Robbie Fowler. And similarly if no supply is provided he drops out of the game. Probably a little mental weakness in there.

I didn’t read it as a dig actually. I think the problem is that Bulut maybe wanted 4-3-3 up his sleeve, and Diedhou could work with inverted wingers playing 1-2’s off him, but I think the combination of personnel didn’t click.

I think Diedhou is a superb fox-in-the-box and a good technician. But you see his body language and work rate drop when he doesn’t see enough ball. I genuinely believe he is one of those players where if the team gets plenty of supply into the box he would hit 20 goals a season. A cheap version of Robbie Fowler. And similarly if no supply is provided he drops out of the game. Probably a little mental weakness in there.
    Coupled with father time has well and truely caught up with him. The Brizzle version maybe, but never now.

There’s only one more game to go this season and I still don’t know what an inverted winger is.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    There’s only one more game to go this season and I still don’t know what an inverted winger is.
    It's the opposite of a confident and flamboyant winger.

Yeah, False 9-Do f uck off....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's the opposite of a confident and flamboyant winger.
    🙌

It’s pretty simple. Wingers traditionally get onto the outside of the full back to hit low crosses or floated ones in for headers. So right footers on right wing, left footers on left wing.

I have found this preposterous for many years because to me a professional player should be capable of using both feet equally well. So for example, Arjien Robben was a top winger because you never knew if he would cut in and create / or go on the outside and cross. He also assisted and scored often. Perfect winger.

The inverted winger is a more continental flavour where the left footed winger plays right wing, and right footed on the left wing. Barcelona, Liverpool and Man City are the best exponents of it. The theory is that by going on the outside there is only one option: cross. It is predictable and you also fail to create numerical overloads. The argument against it is that once the full back is beaten at pace then the back four has turn their bodies and re-adjust to deal with the cross.

By cutting inside you create numerical advantage on the inside where short 1-2’s can have typically slower centre backs in a mess. Equally you can eatablish interplay with the 8, 10 or 9. It is inpredictable. You can pass, go for another dribble or shoot as you have a wide angle to shoot. Salah is probably one of the best examples of this. On his right he is crap. On his left he get lots of goals by cutting in, and in his case he is actually the guy with a higher goal output than the central 9. By cutting inside you also raise your possession stats in theory as you have multiple options to retain the ball.

Ideally at top level, you boys should be able to invert or go on the outside to give full predictability. For me Arjen Robben, Ronaldo, Diaz, Jarrod Bowen are good examples of wingers who can do both. My favourite winger right now is that Georgian guy in Italy. I think he is Lazio or Inter. Ends in …shvili. That kid is the deadliest bastard on the planet at the moment.

Weirdly for our level I think a top coach could make Tanner top class. Technically he is lovely. He can go on the outside and delivery, but his attacking performance with this crossing from left wing was something else - I think it was v Southampton. Tanner is two footed and a good coach should be able to do something big with him.

Oh do **** off with your psuedo football intellect act.

He’s nearly 32, at the arse end of his career and has hit 20+ goals in a season once - 8 years ago French Ligue 2.

His next best is 14. He’s more like Arthur Fowler than Robbie Fowler. Hope he’s not collecting the kitty money for the end of season tour.