+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are American sports so boring?

Why are American sports so boring?

Basketball, Baseball, NFL are substitutes for sleeping tablets!!

Re: Why are American sports so boring?

they feel the same way about football, cricket or rugby

You are effectively asking why you have an opinion. I don't know.

Ad breaks every few minutes.
    "Touchdowns" don't touch down
    Baseball is glorified rounders.
    Basketball can only be played properly by tall people.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I would rather watch Swansea City reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    You are effectively asking why you have an opinion. I don't know.
    No he's not

He's effectively asking why American sports are so boring

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No he's not

He's effectively asking why American sports are so boring

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    😂

I think he's right mind

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I know that our baseball is a better game. There have been nine innings in US baseball when no one actually makes a hit. Basketball is where giants run up one end and then up the other end to the strains of terrible organ music. American football has to be the daftest game ever where hordes of men carrying helmets walk around on the sidelines doing nothing for 95% of the game waiting for their moment of glory.

Baseball and NFL are far too stop-start. Basketball isn't though, but scoring every 30 seconds is repetitive not exciting. Stopping the opposition scoring every once in a while, is arguably more important to the result, but would seem an odd to celebrate as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    I know that our baseball is a better game. There have been nine innings in US baseball when no one actually makes a hit. Basketball is where giants run up one end and then up the other end to the strains of terrible organ music. American football has to be the daftest game ever where hordes of men carrying helmets walk around on the sidelines doing nothing for 95% of the game waiting for their moment of glory.
    I can see something of an error in your behaviour here, you should be watching the players on the pitch not the alternates/subs/reserves/special teams on the sidelines. After all I'm sure you don't spend your time at the CCS with your eyes fixed on the subs bench even if (for the most part) it is as exciting as the on-field performances.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I can see something of an error in your behaviour here, you should be watching the players on the pitch not the alternates/subs/reserves/special teams on the sidelines. After all I'm sure you don't spend your time at the CCS with your eyes fixed on the subs bench even if (for the most part) it is as exciting as the on-field performances.
    The problem is, in the NFL, the players are not on the pitch that long to warrant much interest. A survey of 2023 in the Wall Street Journal concluded that in the average US football match the offence has the ball for 11 minutes, not in play for that time but available to attack for 11 minutes. Given that the screened matches last 3 hours that is a lot of down time. Pity the poor bloody kicker who has to spend hours watching recordings of Love Island in his sideline tent!

The problem is, in the NFL, the players are not on the pitch that long to warrant much interest. A survey of 2023 in the Wall Street Journal concluded that in the average US football match the offence has the ball for 11 minutes, not in play for that time but available to attack for 11 minutes. Given that the screened matches last 3 hours that is a lot of down time. Pity the poor bloody kicker who has to spend hours watching recordings of Love Island in his sideline tent!
    I would agree that one of the problems with NFL is that the clock is running and the ball technically "in play" for a ridiculously long period of time as they prepare for the "snap". It seems all parties are happy with it though.

a bit harsh on NFL IMHO, it can be a highly exciting game, a QB launching the ball 60 yards to be caught by the WR, its great at times

Some Americans find UK sports boring, some people here find US sports boring….probably due to not understanding them properly ?

they are all great sports, you just have to get used to their own particular cadences

All I can tell you, having now lived in the United States great number of years, is that if life's twists and turns had led to you being born and raised here you would not think American sports are boring.

It is what you grow up with. It's all those years following a team along with your dad and your grandpa and your cousins and friends and reading all about in the paper and so on. Believe me, Americans don't show up in their millions to watch football and baseball and basketball to be bored.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    All I can tell you, having now lived in the United States great number of years, is that if life's twists and turns had led to you being born and raised here you would not think American sports are boring.

It is what you grow up with. It's all those years following a team along with your dad and your grandpa and your cousins and friends and reading all about in the paper and so on. Believe me, Americans don't show up in their millions to watch football and baseball and basketball to be bored.
    You nailed it. I’ve been in North America for almost 15 years now. Sport is social currency here and once you get it they’re all great. Biggest issue is that I now have to watch all the UK stuff as well as everything here

I would argue that making it hard to score adds to a sports attraction. Although cricket is catching up as I get older, I'm going to spend all of my life believing that football is the best sport in the world and is there a harder one to register a score in than football? It's because a goal is so hard to score in football that they tend to get celebrated so much. I don't watch a great deal of baseball, but, based on what I have seen it, I feel it's a sport I should get into more - I like what I've seen of it and part of the attraction is that it's so hard to register a score.

Again, I don't watch a great deal of American football now, but I used to when it was on Channel 4 on.a Sunday back in the 80s and really got into it then, I think it's a really good sport once you peel away all of the media crap that goes with it.

Basketball on the other hand is mind numbingly boring in my opinion - it seems harder not to score in that game. Another thing that makes a goof sport is if it is something that people of all sorts of shapes and sizes can play to a good standard. Sadly, there is a trend towards favuring bigger players in a lot of sports these days, but there's still a place for a good little one in most of them - maybe someone who knows more about basketball than me can show that a small person can succeed in that sport, but it seems a game designed to be played by giants to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't watch a great deal of American football now, but I used to when it was on Channel 4 on.a Sunday back in the 80s and really got into it then, I think it's a really good sport once you peel away all of the media crap that goes with it.
    I used to like the results montages with Frankie goes to Hollywood in the background:
    https://youtu.be/cyyHRoQyIy4?feature=shared

First Team

Sports are boring if you have no emotional attachment to them.

Sure if you asked random Americans to watch half our home games this season they'd convince you what we love is way more tedious than what they do

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I used to like the results montages with Frankie goes to Hollywood in the background:
    https://youtu.be/cyyHRoQyIy4?feature=shared
    Thanks for posting that, it brought back a lot of memories and some names I'd forgotten about for years. My team was the Houston Oilers because they were always crap - I remember they signed a number one draft pick quarterback Warren Moon who was meant to transform them, he didn't.

However, I see thay beat the Dolphins that week as Dan Marino had a mare - that must have been the Oilers best win of the decade

Basketball, Baseball, NFL are substitutes for sleeping tablets!!
    Lets hope none have watched Cardiff City recently as their introduction to football.

A no hitter or perfect game are amongst the best individual achievements an athlete can make in any sport, they certainly aren't to be sneered at.