+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Callum O'Dowda

Re: Callum O'Dowda

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    But Harris has a panini sticker doesn't he? Surely that's worth something ���� wonder how many current or x city players this applies to ? Not many I suspect?
    I take it all back now I had a love hate relationship with those sticker books. I could never get them to stick straight or square.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It happens all of the time My favourite 'It'll be like having a new player when (insert name) returns from injury. Wintle was Blackpools version of Pirlo when he was on loan up there. McGuiness's stock went up while on loan at Sheffield Wednesday. If Mark Harris continues to score goals then i'm taking cover, although i'm convinced some on here blame the club for Harris turning out to be ordinary, even though he played the best part of 100 league games.
    Hopefully, no one is asking for Adams to come back!

Talk of an offer for £300K, bite their arms off!

It happens all of the time My favourite 'It'll be like having a new player when (insert name) returns from injury. Wintle was Blackpools version of Pirlo when he was on loan up there. McGuiness's stock went up while on loan at Sheffield Wednesday. If Mark Harris continues to score goals then i'm taking cover, although i'm convinced some on here blame the club for Harris turning out to be ordinary, even though he played the best part of 100 league games.
    at the time we had Marlon Pack strolling about the midfield, I think Wintle would have been an improvement when he was sent to Blackpool

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Hopefully, no one is asking for Adams to come back!

Talk of an offer for £300K, bite their arms off!
    surely we can get more than 300k for a midfielder that was pivotal in a side promoted to the championship.
    we have a lot of decisions to make in central midfield, if we didn't have like 6 other players then I'd definitely have another look at him.
    never had a fair crack at it here

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    surely we can get more than 300k for a midfielder that was pivotal in a side promoted to the championship.
    we have a lot of decisions to make in central midfield, if we didn't have like 6 other players then I'd definitely have another look at him.
    never had a fair crack at it here
    According to this they're offering £250k but we want £500k. No idea of its accuracy.
    https://twitter.com/DarrenOWitcoop/s...30260600016933

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But your attempt doesn't tell the whole story. Here's an entirely alternative way of looking at O'Dowda's contribution this season:

5 starts - 1 win, 1 draw, 3 defeats.

5 sub appearances - 4 wins, 1 defeat.

Let's break down these sub appearances:

45 minutes vs Swansea - went from 1-0 down to lose 2-0
    15 minutes vs Ipswich - scores the winner
    12 minutes vs Bristol City - game already won
    6 minutes vs Huddersfield - game already won
    5 minutes vs Coventry - game already won.

Ipswich apart, you could quite easily argue that O'Dowda's sub appearances have not contributed much to the result, other than just having some fresh legs on the pitch. When he's played 45 minutes or more we've won 1 out of 6. I wonder why he was dropped after the Sunderland defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Remember when fans could watch a player and decide if he’s any good and just give an honest personal opinion.

Now all everyone wants to do is use stats to say this or say that or to tell someone else why they are wrong.
    Or give weight to why they think they are correct.

International

You really are a sad little JR Eric sycophant aren't you

He was murdered saying O'Dowda is sh1t when it was proved we score more points when he's involved.

But your attempt doesn't tell the whole story. Here's an entirely alternative way of looking at O'Dowda's contribution this season:

5 starts - 1 win, 1 draw, 3 defeats.

5 sub appearances - 4 wins, 1 defeat.

Let's break down these sub appearances:

45 minutes vs Swansea - went from 1-0 down to lose 2-0
    15 minutes vs Ipswich - scores the winner
    12 minutes vs Bristol City - game already won
    6 minutes vs Huddersfield - game already won
    5 minutes vs Coventry - game already won.

Ipswich apart, you could quite easily argue that O'Dowda's sub appearances have not contributed much to the result, other than just having some fresh legs on the pitch. When he's played 45 minutes or more we've won 1 out of 6. I wonder why he was dropped after the Sunderland defeat?
    I’m not sure he was “dropped” as such although after that performance anyone could have been dropped. With the Coventry game so close after the Sunderland game I don’t think anyone expected him to start again having not started in so long tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Or give weight to why they think they are correct.
    That’s what this is, oh.

O’Dowda’s a brilliant player. Three goals in 39 appearances last season. If we’d have had a wide player who could have scored three goals this season, we might have…

Oh, hang on a minute.

International

I’m not sure he was “dropped” as such although after that performance anyone could have been dropped. With the Coventry game so close after the Sunderland game I don’t think anyone expected him to start again having not started in so long tbh.
    He wasn't Eric the half-glass empty is clutching at straws, wrong type of goals, only winning by one, now wrong type of appearances, he can't accept the facts and try's to find some more negative nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    O’Dowda’s a brilliant player. Three goals in 39 appearances last season. If we’d have had a wide player who could have scored three goals this season, we might have…

Oh, hang on a minute.
    Didn’t he mostly play left back?

International

Yes, Collins was injured and he did a job for the team.

To be honest, I’ve no idea how many games he played in either position. He was anonymous much of the time. He’s one of those players. Moments of brilliance in some games, disappears in others. That’s probably why he’s spent most of his career in the middle of the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    To be honest, I’ve no idea how many games he played in either position. He was anonymous much of the time. He’s one of those players. Moments of brilliance in some games, disappears in others. That’s probably why he’s spent most of his career in the middle of the Championship.
    Seems fair.

Seems fair.
    Don’t get me wrong, I think O’Dowda’s alright, not a bad player by this division’s standards, but City123 hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread. The fact some people rave about him and suggest he’s been a big miss this season says more about the levels of mediocrity our fans have come to accept in recent years rather than the quality of the player himself.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He wasn't Eric the half-glass empty is clutching at straws, wrong type of goals, only winning by one, now wrong type of appearances, he can't accept the facts and try's to find some more negative nonsense.
    I'm suggesting O'Dowda doesn't deserve to be credited with the wins we've achieved when he's played only a few minutes, Ipswich apart. I think that's reasonable.

You said "He makes a difference and the results prove that". In 4 of his sub appearances he made absolutely no difference to the scoreline yet you're claiming that he was, in some part, responsible for results of games where he was on the field a few minutes. That's absolute nonsense.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking again, or just finding more nonsense in your arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember a similar effect with Jack Wilshere at Arsenal, the longer he was out for, the more of an impact they were convinced he would make on his return
    This! 💯

To be fair regarding McGuinness, many were baffled he was loaned out at all (especially so we could bring in Jack Simpson ahead of him) and he was earning genuine rave reviews at Wednesday. He also did well when he came back in and was good for us this season up until his injury

I take the general point though, we're seeing the same now with Adams. He's a trier and I think he's been unfortunate with his injuries since joining the club, but a Championship-level footballer he is not

Don't know what sort of injury he had to keep him out for 38 games ,but a lot of players around his age are just happy to pick up their wages especially when there is no hope of winning anything. Him and Ramsey and any long term sickies I'd get shot of.

International

I'm suggesting O'Dowda doesn't deserve to be credited with the wins we've achieved when he's played only a few minutes, Ipswich apart. I think that's reasonable.

You said "He makes a difference and the results prove that". In 4 of his sub appearances he made absolutely no difference to the scoreline yet you're claiming that he was, in some part, responsible for results of games where he was on the field a few minutes. That's absolute nonsense.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking again, or just finding more nonsense in your arguments.
    That's good then, he contributed to stopping the other team from scoring, now to suit your narrative you're saying if a player doesn't score he doesn't affect the game, what a clown. You know when a player comes back from six months out they don't start with 90 minutes plus 10 odd injury time from day one and continue like that for the rest of the season unless you don't watch the games and sit there with your BBC app open studying the stats

As someone said above, by watching the game, I feel we play better with him than without, if you don't that's up to you, you are entitled to your opinion, which is always negative, we can agree to disagree