+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is this dodgy?

Is this dodgy?

Nothing illegal but it's not a great look and people within his own party saying the money should be returned. I'm not sure about that, but I think it does leave him open to criticism especially with a big decision on the new train station in east Cardiff due.

Bit questionable to appoint Carwyn Jones to investigate too really.

Not a great start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c89zrdz1jq1o

Re: Is this dodgy?

He should return the money.

It may be a legal donation but it sends out all the wrong signals on policy and integrity. Perception matters.

Hes either going to have to return the money or this is his nemesis

I would have preferred Jeremy Miles or Rebecca Evans to be in the job

Maybe he will stand down

He's not broken any rules but those rules are weak and accepting the donation was moraly and ethically wrong and will forever be a millstone unless / until he hands it back.

Give the money to Pembs. C.C. to sort out the Withyhedge pollution problem caused by the very same Dauson Environmental Group who donated the money.

If it was a Tory accepting the donation, I’d be adamant that they should return the money, so why should I say different if it’s a Labour politician involved? When your only defence appears to be to say it’s not against the rules, you know you’re in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nothing illegal but it's not a great look and people within his own party saying the money should be returned. I'm not sure about that, but I think it does leave him open to criticism especially with a big decision on the new train station in east Cardiff due.

Bit questionable to appoint Carwyn Jones to investigate too really.

Not a great start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c89zrdz1jq1o
    It's a terrible look for VG's political integrity and his subsequent non attendance when the matter was discussed at the Senedd. He's coming across as aloof and unaccountable for me.

You know it looks wrong when Sunak is able to suggest the whole episode should be investigated.

I wonder if Sunak's party are still taking Frank Hesters millions?

The whole political donations thing needs looking at.

The story is not going away and he can't carry on ignoring it, or saying it was all legal and within the rules. Aside from policies, I like politicians with integrity and those I can trust. If he doesn't return the money then he risks losing both the trust of the public and integrity within the party.

It's quite startling that he's accepted this donation and then not immediately accepted he needs to back down

In the long term I think unless he holds his hands up he's had it

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The story is not going away and he can't carry on ignoring it, or saying it was all legal and within the rules. Aside from policies, I like politicians with integrity and those I can trust. If he doesn't return the money then he risks losing both the trust of the public and integrity within the party.
    I think he's lost both

No gifts, no jobs, no donations, no loopholes, funding for political parties comes solely from the public purse and is heavily audited. Implementation is difficult because it will favour larger existing parties but the rich have far too much influence in what is supposed to be a democratic system.

Politicians have proven they can't be trusted to not be corrupt so a massive change is necessary to secure the system.

I've always thought a good system may be one where people can donate as they currently can but 50% goes to a party and 50% goes towards the cost of the elections or providing equal advertising for all standing parties etc.

I like Vaughan Gething but I do think he's dropped a bollock here esp as it's on environmental matters and like I said theres a controversial railway decision due soon for East Cardiff (which I entirely support btw) that I think muddies the waters a bit

Jane Hutt's quite happy. "all relevant rules have been complied with.."

Here we go again..

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Give the money to Pembs. C.C. to sort out the Withyhedge pollution problem caused by the very same Dauson Environmental Group who donated the money.
    I take it that this issue is of little/no interest to the Care-diffians. I think it might be a little different if this problem affected the capitol city!

https://www.mrw.co.uk/news/nrw-order...ur-23-04-2024/

on the plus side we know 200k buys environmental policies, and 25k buys you taxi regulations , see it is all totally transparent

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    on the plus side we know 200k buys environmental policies, and 25k buys you taxi regulations , see it is all totally transparent
    I've got £75 what does that get me? A fine for going 27mph?

Labour have announced they have asked some independent to investigate all this, they asked the ex Labour first minister carwyn Jones to look into it….ffs

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Labour have announced they have asked some independent to investigate all this, they asked the ex Labour first minister carwyn Jones to look into it….ffs
    He's a Barrister

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's a Barrister
    his coffee making abilities are not in doubt , nor is the legality of the money given to black gething , so any 'inquest ' is just a waste of money , it's all above board , he should of course abstain from any decision involving green or taxi issues, the only information i can find on the gay's benefactor is he has the same name as a building firm owner/ property developer , we don't live in a marxist utopia yet so the government can't force us to eat one brand of 'energy food'

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    his coffee making abilities are not in doubt , nor is the legality of the money given to black gething , so any 'inquest ' is just a waste of money , it's all above board , he should of course abstain from any decision involving green or taxi issues, the only information i can find on the gay's benefactor is he has the same name as a building firm owner/ property developer , we don't live in a marxist utopia yet so the government can't force us to eat one brand of 'energy food'
    I'm getting very confused now, who is the gay?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    I'm getting very confused now, who is the gay?
    The Native Hipster

He's clearly a raver

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's a Barrister
    And a good one, I don't doubt. And the best first minister we've had in my opinion.

But quite clearly he isn't the right person to investigate whether a Labour first minister did something a bit dodgy as he is too close to it all and would struggle to claim or prove he is independent enough for it.

Aside from anything else, if he "clears" Gething, then many people will be suspicious of the finding and not believe it anyway.

Get someone wholly independent to do it

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    And a good one, I don't doubt. And the best first minister we've had in my opinion.

But quite clearly he isn't the right person to investigate whether a Labour first minister did something a bit dodgy as he is too close to it all and would struggle to claim or prove he is independent enough for it.

Aside from anything else, if he "clears" Gething, then many people will be suspicious of the finding and not believe it anyway.

Get someone wholly independent to do it
    He's not going to clear gethin on this

Hes toast