Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I don't really know what you are expecting, people dancing in the streets chanting his name? Centre ground policies aren't going to excite people, economically left policies are political suicide because the UK is run by those with vested interests. Starmer has consistently gone for the 'im more ethical and efficient than the Tories' and it has worked if the polls are to be believed.

The country is ****ed to almost incredible levels (via Tory lack of vision and incompetence in combination with 'acts of god'). If labour make grand promises they can't achieve, they will be judged accordingly. What are labour meant to actually do with a country with broken underfunded public services, near record tax burden, low wages, enormous debt and consistently flat lining growth? A slow grind is the only way, maybe they won't be given multiple terms to try and fix things, maybe they aren't capable of fixing things, which knows.

I would prefer them to have more vision/ambition but we are where we are.
It’s as I said a while back, I see no evidence of any enthusiasm for Starmer,whereas there was enthusiasm about Blair around pre 1997. Blair’s Government remained pretty popular until the Iraq war and still won an election after that, but I can see the polls turning against Labour pretty quickly if they win in a few months time, partly because Starmer will be proving that he’s as uninspiring as a Prime Minister as he is as a leader of the opposition.