+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Jak Jones

  1. #1

    Jak Jones

    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!

  2. #2

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!
    I don't think I'd fully agree with your analysis. There are times every snooker player, when not playing well, has to dig deep and grind out results.

    A rearguard 1-0 victory is 3 pts whilst you get nothing for a 5-4 defeat.

    Incidentally, he's from Cwmbran.

    StT.
    <><

  3. #3

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I don't think I'd fully agree with your analysis. There are times every snooker player, when not playing well, has to dig deep and grind out results.

    A rearguard 1-0 victory is 3 pts whilst you get nothing for a 5-4 defeat.

    Incidentally, he's from Cwmbran.

    StT.
    <><
    I get all of that.

    I feel that he's got to the final not by being the best player, but by being able to stop better players than him. Fair enough, but it bores me.

  4. #4

    Re: Jak Jones

    As much as I like to see O’Sullivan clearing up in 4 minutes, it’s the tactical game I enjoy most. Some of those frames this evening were intriguing. As Jak himself said after the game, he hasn’t been playing particularly well, he’s just been clinical in pouncing on his opponents mistakes, and his safety play has been really good. I’m really looking forward to the final.

  5. #5

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!
    Like moaning a league 1 team have reached the FA Cup final by nicking a late goal. Ludicrous summary of a tremendous achievement.

  6. #6

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!
    Concur with Vic and Dave (loving the word ludicrous by the way Dave )

    The world championship is THE tournament to win, the chance of snooker immortality.

    Does anybody give a monkeys how CCFC went about winning the FA Cup in 1927?

    Maybe basketball is the sport for you.
    Loads of scoring, plenty of excitement?

  7. #7

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I don't think I'd fully agree with your analysis. There are times every snooker player, when not playing well, has to dig deep and grind out results.

    A rearguard 1-0 victory is 3 pts whilst you get nothing for a 5-4 defeat.

    Incidentally, he's from Cwmbran.

    StT.
    <><
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I get all of that.
    Your OP Eric suggests the contrary.

  8. #8

    Re: Jak Jones

    This is a huge underdog story. He has done brilliantly. Safety is a big part of the game. I hope Jak wins the final.

  9. #9

    Re: Jak Jones

    By his own admission he doesn't like or do well in the shorter tournament formats. In a best of 7 or 9 you can easily be 2-0 or 3-0 down, without having done anything wrong, or without having any chances of your own to get into the match and the match is almost over before its begun. In longer matches those chances will come and a player, like Jak Jones, will get into the match.
    There haven't been as many century breaks this year either, which is a reflection of the more tactical frames this year.
    I hope Jak wins but chances are I'll be fast asleep if the final goes the distance.

  10. #10

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Your OP Eric suggests the contrary.
    Once again, the curse of the messageboard, the lack of grey area, things are either black or white, strikes again (that's not aimed at you btw, but generally). Things can only be one or the other, nothing in between,

    I've watched snooker for over 30 years. I enjoy a good tactical battle. I enjoy watching big breaks. I enjoy trickshots, flamboyancy etc. I'm not a great fan of slow players, so when Graeme Dott played Peter Ebdon in the 2006 final I gave it a miss. That's my choice as a spectator.

    What I don't get with Jones is how great he has been with some of his long pots and pots under pressure that he isn't a bit more positive in frames. Often it's about knocking balls safe and creating scrappy frames which, ok they happen from time to time, but Jones needs for success. The final frame between Kyren Wilson and Anthony McGill was an all-time classic (and glad that twat McGill lost after his antics against Jamie Clarke). Trump and Bingham never really turned up in their games against Jones because they were forced out of their natural game. That's a rarity in snooker nowadays and I'd much rather see a good player being able to play their natural game instead of being ground down and frustrated. Jones would probably have beaten Ronnie in this tournament, but it doesn't mean he's a better player.

    I also reckon that if Jones wasn't Welsh, it would be a different story.

  11. #11

    Re: Jak Jones

    As someone who played league snooker for 20yrs I find the safety element of the game far more absorbing than red-black-red-black. It demonstrates an area of expertise that many pros are weak in. It also shows that when you keep your opponent from potting balls they often lose their rhythm. It's not bringing them down to your level, it's competing in all aspects of the game. I bet he plays a mean game of billiards, too..

  12. #12

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As someone who played league snooker for 20yrs I find the safety element of the game far more absorbing than red-black-red-black. It demonstrates an area of expertise that many pros are weak in. It also shows that when you keep your opponent from potting balls they often lose their rhythm. It's not bringing them down to your level, it's competing in all aspects of the game. I bet he plays a mean game of billiards, too..
    Nail on the head for me. He stopped Si, trump and Bingham rhythm. Then he took advantage. As good a match play tactic as out potting an opponent. And refreshingly different. Snooker had become “you pot, I pot” too much for me. Wonderful run to the final and I seriously hope he completes the job. And of course being welsh massively helps!

  13. #13

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!
    The game is called SNOOKER, not “potting”, for a reason !

  14. #14

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Once again, the curse of the messageboard, the lack of grey area, things are either black or white, strikes again (that's not aimed at you btw, but generally). Things can only be one or the other, nothing in between,

    I've watched snooker for over 30 years. I enjoy a good tactical battle. I enjoy watching big breaks. I enjoy trickshots, flamboyancy etc. I'm not a great fan of slow players, so when Graeme Dott played Peter Ebdon in the 2006 final I gave it a miss. That's my choice as a spectator.

    What I don't get with Jones is how great he has been with some of his long pots and pots under pressure that he isn't a bit more positive in frames. Often it's about knocking balls safe and creating scrappy frames which, ok they happen from time to time, but Jones needs for success. The final frame between Kyren Wilson and Anthony McGill was an all-time classic (and glad that twat McGill lost after his antics against Jamie Clarke). Trump and Bingham never really turned up in their games against Jones because they were forced out of their natural game. That's a rarity in snooker nowadays and I'd much rather see a good player being able to play their natural game instead of being ground down and frustrated. Jones would probably have beaten Ronnie in this tournament, but it doesn't mean he's a better player.

    I also reckon that if Jones wasn't Welsh, it would be a different story.
    For a change, Iím actually with you on this.
    Iíve watched and played snooker for over 40 yrs.
    I can appreciate the safety and tactical side of the game, but it doesnít make for great viewing in my opinion.
    Back in the day, I wouldnít have watched Terry Griffiths v Cliff Thorburn even if they were playing in my garden, but Iíd have paid top dollar to watch Jimmy White v Alex Higgins.
    Itís kind of similar to the 2008 FA cup final.
    Us v Pompey would have gained little interest from out with both camps, apart from Swansea and Saints fans watching, hoping that their rivals lost.
    In fact when Iíve been working away, or on holiday, if I get talking football to a stranger, most of them canít even remember Cardiff City were in the FA cup final of 2008.
    I hope Jones wins the final, simply because heís Welsh, and a qualifier. I would like to see him open up a bit though, and really take it to Wilson.
    But thatís probably not gonna happen, and you canít blame him.

  15. #15
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    11,716

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love watching snooker. I love watching big breaks, tactical battles. I love it when players have a go.

    I really struggle to watch Jak this tournament. It seems as if every frame is an attempt to disrupt his opponent. Constant safety battles, knocking balls safe to disrupt frames etc. Congratulations on him making the final but he doesn't get my support, not that he'd be bothered in the slightest.

    I would love to see a World snooker final where both players are able to demonstrate their best. I don't want to see a final bogged down with endless needless safety play with one player trying to grind the other to their level as that's the only chance they've got. There's almost an element of Cardiff City this season about it!
    The clue is in the name!

  16. #16

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This is a huge underdog story. He has done brilliantly. Safety is a big part of the game. I hope Jak wins the final.
    True, Pearcey3. What we can fail to realise is that at the level we are talking about here, the World Championships, a mistake can lead to you losing the frame in no time at all.

    StT.
    <><

  17. #17

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    For a change, I’m actually with you on this.
    I’ve watched and played snooker for over 40 yrs.
    I can appreciate the safety and tactical side of the game, but it doesn’t make for great viewing in my opinion.
    Back in the day, I wouldn’t have watched Terry Griffiths v Cliff Thorburn even if they were playing in my garden, but I’d have paid top dollar to watch Jimmy White v Alex Higgins.
    It’s kind of similar to the 2008 FA cup final.
    Us v Pompey would have gained little interest from out with both camps, apart from Swansea and Saints fans watching, hoping that their rivals lost.
    In fact when I’ve been working away, or on holiday, if I get talking football to a stranger, most of them can’t even remember Cardiff City were in the FA cup final of 2008.
    I hope Jones wins the final, simply because he’s Welsh, and a qualifier. I would like to see him open up a bit though, and really take it to Wilson.
    But that’s probably not gonna happen, and you can’t blame him.
    I wasn't going to watch the final for the first time in many years, but I did. In fairness, Jak had more of a go than in any of his other games this tournament and it was really sad to see him struggle in the first session, but he played some terrific stuff in the evening and was very unlucky to have only won it 5-4.

    Wilson has been the best player in the tournament so far and probably deserves to win it. Jak clearly has a great talent and, going forward, if he can show a bit more positivity in his game, can challenge the top players.

    Not sure if you follow darts, but several years ago me and Mrs HaB went to the World Darts one afternoon at Ally Pally. Tickets bought months in advance, so no idea who would be playing. Had Dennis Smith and Dennis Priestley on the same afternoon. Great fun.....

  18. #18

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    True, Pearcey3. What we can fail to realise is that at the level we are talking about here, the World Championships, a mistake can lead to you losing the frame in no time at all.

    StT.
    <><
    Maybe I'm being daft here, wouldn't be the first time, but the expertise in playing a top safety shot is on a par with potting the most difficult long ball. The difference is that, if you're a fraction out a safety could still be a safety, but a pot would be missed and possibly left. Most top players back themselves to make a long pot and are happy with the consequences if they miss. I know that, whenever I'm thrilling my local snooker club with my presence and crowds are gathering around to watch me compile another huge break of 13, I'm never really thinking safety.....

  19. #19

    Re: Jak Jones

    The end of the last frame last night was brilliant stuff. Kyren Wilson did so well to come back to win it on the black. Massive difference between a 3 or 5 frame lead overnight.

  20. #20

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I wasn't going to watch the final for the first time in many years, but I did. In fairness, Jak had more of a go than in any of his other games this tournament and it was really sad to see him struggle in the first session, but he played some terrific stuff in the evening and was very unlucky to have only won it 5-4.

    Wilson has been the best player in the tournament so far and probably deserves to win it. Jak clearly has a great talent and, going forward, if he can show a bit more positivity in his game, can challenge the top players.

    Not sure if you follow darts, but several years ago me and Mrs HaB went to the World Darts one afternoon at Ally Pally. Tickets bought months in advance, so no idea who would be playing. Had Dennis Smith and Dennis Priestley on the same afternoon. Great fun.....
    Not sure if you saw Jak getting interviewed by Stephen Hendry before the final, but Hendry was more or less encouraging Jones to be more positive in his approach.

  21. #21

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not sure if you saw Jak getting interviewed by Stephen Hendry before the final, but Hendry was more or less encouraging Jones to be more positive in his approach.
    I did. Jones was very much in awe of Hendry in that interview, which puts his achievements over the last couple of weeks into some perspective.

  22. #22

    Re: Jak Jones

    Great start for Jones this afternoon. 👍

  23. #23

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Great start for Jones this afternoon. 👍
    Was. Shame. I've really warmed to him in this final.

  24. #24

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Was. Shame. I've really warmed to him in this final.
    Think Jones is gonna have to play his very best snooker, and hope that Wilson gets nervous.
    Canít see Jak winning now, but it would be some achievement if he did.

  25. #25

    Re: Jak Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Think Jones is gonna have to play his very best snooker, and hope that Wilson gets nervous.
    Canít see Jak winning now, but it would be some achievement if he did.
    I'm thinking the opposite. Wilson is an emotional guy. The closer the winning line gets, I wonder if he'll choke?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •