+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jak Jones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jak Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Once again, the curse of the messageboard, the lack of grey area, things are either black or white, strikes again (that's not aimed at you btw, but generally). Things can only be one or the other, nothing in between,

I've watched snooker for over 30 years. I enjoy a good tactical battle. I enjoy watching big breaks. I enjoy trickshots, flamboyancy etc. I'm not a great fan of slow players, so when Graeme Dott played Peter Ebdon in the 2006 final I gave it a miss. That's my choice as a spectator.

What I don't get with Jones is how great he has been with some of his long pots and pots under pressure that he isn't a bit more positive in frames. Often it's about knocking balls safe and creating scrappy frames which, ok they happen from time to time, but Jones needs for success. The final frame between Kyren Wilson and Anthony McGill was an all-time classic (and glad that twat McGill lost after his antics against Jamie Clarke). Trump and Bingham never really turned up in their games against Jones because they were forced out of their natural game. That's a rarity in snooker nowadays and I'd much rather see a good player being able to play their natural game instead of being ground down and frustrated. Jones would probably have beaten Ronnie in this tournament, but it doesn't mean he's a better player.

I also reckon that if Jones wasn't Welsh, it would be a different story.
    For a change, I’m actually with you on this.
    I’ve watched and played snooker for over 40 yrs.
    I can appreciate the safety and tactical side of the game, but it doesn’t make for great viewing in my opinion.
    Back in the day, I wouldn’t have watched Terry Griffiths v Cliff Thorburn even if they were playing in my garden, but I’d have paid top dollar to watch Jimmy White v Alex Higgins.
    It’s kind of similar to the 2008 FA cup final.
    Us v Pompey would have gained little interest from out with both camps, apart from Swansea and Saints fans watching, hoping that their rivals lost.
    In fact when I’ve been working away, or on holiday, if I get talking football to a stranger, most of them can’t even remember Cardiff City were in the FA cup final of 2008.
    I hope Jones wins the final, simply because he’s Welsh, and a qualifier. I would like to see him open up a bit though, and really take it to Wilson.
    But that’s probably not gonna happen, and you can’t blame him.

Re: Jak Jones

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    For a change, I’m actually with you on this.
    I’ve watched and played snooker for over 40 yrs.
    I can appreciate the safety and tactical side of the game, but it doesn’t make for great viewing in my opinion.
    Back in the day, I wouldn’t have watched Terry Griffiths v Cliff Thorburn even if they were playing in my garden, but I’d have paid top dollar to watch Jimmy White v Alex Higgins.
    It’s kind of similar to the 2008 FA cup final.
    Us v Pompey would have gained little interest from out with both camps, apart from Swansea and Saints fans watching, hoping that their rivals lost.
    In fact when I’ve been working away, or on holiday, if I get talking football to a stranger, most of them can’t even remember Cardiff City were in the FA cup final of 2008.
    I hope Jones wins the final, simply because he’s Welsh, and a qualifier. I would like to see him open up a bit though, and really take it to Wilson.
    But that’s probably not gonna happen, and you can’t blame him.
    I wasn't going to watch the final for the first time in many years, but I did. In fairness, Jak had more of a go than in any of his other games this tournament and it was really sad to see him struggle in the first session, but he played some terrific stuff in the evening and was very unlucky to have only won it 5-4.

Wilson has been the best player in the tournament so far and probably deserves to win it. Jak clearly has a great talent and, going forward, if he can show a bit more positivity in his game, can challenge the top players.

Not sure if you follow darts, but several years ago me and Mrs HaB went to the World Darts one afternoon at Ally Pally. Tickets bought months in advance, so no idea who would be playing. Had Dennis Smith and Dennis Priestley on the same afternoon. Great fun.....