+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Managers you have LIKED at Cardiff City

Re: Managers you have LIKED at Cardiff City

Dave Jones. Finest manager we've ever had. I'll have absolutely no criticism about him whatsoever.

Ole because I just really wanted to see it work

I've never had a foursome. That will never stop me trying.

This is the issue with City fans, we are so limited in what we think we can achieve.

"Never had that before, so it'll never happen, lets all give up and go home"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Dave Jones. Finest manager we've ever had. I'll have absolutely no criticism about him whatsoever.
    Ramsey FA Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Ole because I just really wanted to see it work
    Strangely I know what you mean. If it didn't work I think we all knew even then what was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Strangely I know what you mean. If it didn't work I think we all knew even then what was coming.
    Was like looking at a frying pan full of hot oil just as it was about to fall off the cooker, but I still wanted to grab a hold of the handle and save my bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Ramsey FA Cup Final.
    I was being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Warnock can also come under the poor manager label. It wasn’t all beer and skittles with him.
    Personality-wise , I also find him a bit false and his personal politics are super unattractive. I thought, like most people , he was a bit of a nob before he came to us and his brexit bollocks just compounded it.

He also got a decent transfer kitty the season we got promoted. And his football was a bit meh.

I don't think we've ever had a "great" manager.....even if you consider Warnock a "great" in the history of this club. I think the Jacks have had many more potentially "great" managers, for example......... I'm thinking Martinez, Potter, Rogers.

Compared to these guys, our lot have been very unsophisticated.

Malky and Warnock achieved what lots of other managers failed to do

I think Cardiff City have always had a very big number of fickle fans who change like the weather

I liked Warnock, we know he plays to the media but I found him fun. Dave Jones I really liked, very straight talking which used to upset some fans which made me like him even more. Lennie seemed pleasant enough.

Jimmy Scoular.
    Jimmy Andrews.
    Eddie May .
    Lennie Lawrence.
    Dave Jones.
    Neil Warnock .
    Eric of the now.

I'm in the minority, but if Phil Neil wasn't poached by Steve Coppell to go to Manchester city I believe he would have come good.

david kerslake and Joe Mcbride don't get enough credit. Jimmy goodfellow, last but not least, Scott young and Danny Gabbidon. They've done **** all since-The club must have ruined them both in a coaching capacity, same as they do with nearly all our young players.

Alan Cork never gets a mention as it was all about Sam but some of the most attacking free football I've ever seen us play was under corky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    In the 56 years I have been going down to watch the City, I can count all the mangers I liked on one hand almost:

Jimmy Scoular, Jimmy Andrews (75/76 season only), Frankie Burrows, Eddie May, Dave Jones. Ashurst first time around as well.
    Agreed...the board has been rubbish for decades

I think I’d go for this bloke who got a raw deal from Sam Hammam, Blackpool fans thought the world of him it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Ayre

Think I enjoyed the Eddie May years the best. Dave Jones too, although very frustrating that we never quite fulfilled our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That's the one anomaly that came to my mind too so for you to mention it only gives weight to my argument that there were very few poor signings.
    George Smith? Dave Powell? Johnny Vincent? Generally speaking, I don’t think Scoularwasgreat in the transfer market from 1972 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    George Smith? Dave Powell? Johnny Vincent? Generally speaking, I don’t think Scoularwasgreat in the transfer market from 1972 onwards.
    That’s one year out of nine. Working the majority of his tenure with Fred Dewey must have been frustrating and like getting blood out of a stone.

Jones, Malky, Warnock, May - in no particular order. Malky / Warnock had success and Jones for the style of play - especially when compared with the last few years. Eddie May on the list - just for the good times. All the rest have been pretty tame / sh1t. Slade, McCarthy, Ollie, Morison, Harris and countless others over the last 40 odd years have delivered mediocrity at best.

I was being facetious.
    Ans I was being captain obvious by bringing that back up, like it hadn't been mentioned 475673863838573 other times.

That’s one year out of nine. Working the majority of his tenure with Fred Dewey must have been frustrating and like getting blood out of a stone.
    Absolutely right. Strange for TOBW to highlight players signed by Scoular in his last year as our manager. Even more so when you consider the plethora of good/great signings he made before then: Murray, Harris, Gibson, Lea, King (?), B Jones, Woodruff, Warboys, Clark, Farrell etc etc. And neither Powell, Vincent nor Smith could be deemed bad signings. Vincent for instance scored 11 goals in 66 appearances from midfield. Very odd !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Absolutely right. Strange for TOBW to highlight players signed by Scoular in his last year as our manager. Even more so when you consider the plethora of good/great signings he made before then: Murray, Harris, Gibson, Lea, King (?), B Jones, Woodruff, Warboys, Clark, Farrell etc etc. And neither Powell, Vincent nor Smith could be deemed bad signings. Vincent for instance scored 11 goals in 66 appearances from midfield. Very odd !
    Peter King was already here, signed from Worcester City, I believe, prior to Scoular, may have even been Bill Jones who signed him.

Peter King was already here, signed from Worcester City, I believe, prior to Scoular, may have even been Bill Jones who signed him.
    Yeah, that's why I put a question mark against King's name. Same with Murray apparently. He joined us in 1962. Nevertheless, still an impressive list of signings.