Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
It was the continuity I s’pose. He was manager from my age of 9 to 18, so from junior school through to starting work he was a constant. Those 9 years are equivalent to about 40 years now at my age. That’s the way the life clock seems to work throughout your days. 5 years nowadays fly by, yet your 5 years at senior school seemed a lifetime and you can still remember minute details, Scoular was there throughout this. Plastics, if any, were very thin on the ground, everyone was a City fan. We ‘lived’ his early days relegation scrapes, then the epic ECWC adventures, culminating in the heartbreaking near misses of promotion.

Fans of my age also lived through the ‘fan transition years’, the moving on from the rosettes & rattles eras to the raw & gritty ‘protecting our ends’ era, swapping bobble hats and cloth caps for Doc Martens & stay press. Scoular, our tough, legendary manager, was always there, snarling, shouting, ordering Lew Clayton onto the pitch with a sponge & bucket to treat a broken leg. Tales of his remarkable playing career were fresh in the memory of many, League Champion, Cup winning skipper and he was our manager.

He was loved, respected & , yes, feared but, even through sticky times, I was glad he was in our dug out. No doubt, he’d be labelled a bully today but a bully who was on our side. He’s my favourite but I’d imagine it’s because of my age and that era.
Scoular didn't suffer fools gladly that's for sure. A very, very tough man and yes I suppose he would be considered a bully in today's more 'enlightened' times.

He did have the good fortune that a certain John Toshack was unearthed during his tenure but he had the nous to buy Brian Clark to play alongside him, which almost overnight made us a force to be reckoned with.

When you think of his other acquisitions, it's not hard to see why we rated him so highly. Brian Harris to bolster a leaky defence, Ian Gibson and Bobby Woodruff to give a bit of sparkle to midfield and Barrie Jones to provide some wonderful wing play. Very few dodgy signings in fact, almost the complete opposite of today.