Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Managers you have LIKED at Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Jimmy Scoular - no question...
    Remember from the Grange end the cries of

Hallelujah

Jimmy Scoular

To the tune of course of the Hallelujah chorus by Handel.

I agree the best manager of my lifetime with Warnock a close second

Burrows,May,Ashhurst and Dave Jones also in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Remember from the Grange end the cries of

Hallelujah

Jimmy Scoular

To the tune of course of the Hallelujah chorus by Handel.

I agree the best manager of my lifetime with Warnock a close second

Burrows,May,Ashhurst and Dave Jones also in the mix
    I wasn't born when Scoular was our manager and I guess this is a stats vs opinion post, but statistically, Scoular never ripped up any trees as our manager. It's interesting that quite a few older City fans cite him as their favourite manager, so for a young 'un like me, I'd be interested to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I wasn't born when Scoular was our manager and I guess this is a stats vs opinion post, but statistically, Scoular never ripped up any trees as our manager. It's interesting that quite a few older City fans cite him as their favourite manager, so for a young 'un like me, I'd be interested to know why.
    It was the continuity I s’pose. He was manager from my age of 9 to 18, so from junior school through to starting work he was a constant. Those 9 years are equivalent to about 40 years now at my age. That’s the way the life clock seems to work throughout your days. 5 years nowadays fly by, yet your 5 years at senior school seemed a lifetime and you can still remember minute details, Scoular was there throughout this. Plastics, if any, were very thin on the ground, everyone was a City fan. We ‘lived’ his early days relegation scrapes, then the epic ECWC adventures, culminating in the heartbreaking near misses of promotion.

Fans of my age also lived through the ‘fan transition years’, the moving on from the rosettes & rattles eras to the raw & gritty ‘protecting our ends’ era, swapping bobble hats and cloth caps for Doc Martens & stay press. Scoular, our tough, legendary manager, was always there, snarling, shouting, ordering Lew Clayton onto the pitch with a sponge & bucket to treat a broken leg. Tales of his remarkable playing career were fresh in the memory of many, League Champion, Cup winning skipper and he was our manager.

He was loved, respected & , yes, feared but, even through sticky times, I was glad he was in our dug out. No doubt, he’d be labelled a bully today but a bully who was on our side. He’s my favourite but I’d imagine it’s because of my age and that era.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was the continuity I s’pose. He was manager from my age of 9 to 18, so from junior school through to starting work he was a constant. Those 9 years are equivalent to about 40 years now at my age. That’s the way the life clock seems to work throughout your days. 5 years nowadays fly by, yet your 5 years at senior school seemed a lifetime and you can still remember minute details, Scoular was there throughout this. Plastics, if any, were very thin on the ground, everyone was a City fan. We ‘lived’ his early days relegation scrapes, then the epic ECWC adventures, culminating in the heartbreaking near misses of promotion.

Fans of my age also lived through the ‘fan transition years’, the moving on from the rosettes & rattles eras to the raw & gritty ‘protecting our ends’ era, swapping bobble hats and cloth caps for Doc Martens & stay press. Scoular, our tough, legendary manager, was always there, snarling, shouting, ordering Lew Clayton onto the pitch with a sponge & bucket to treat a broken leg. Tales of his remarkable playing career were fresh in the memory of many, League Champion, Cup winning skipper and he was our manager.

He was loved, respected & , yes, feared but, even through sticky times, I was glad he was in our dug out. No doubt, he’d be labelled a bully today but a bully who was on our side. He’s my favourite but I’d imagine it’s because of my age and that era.
    Good write up Steve. Enjoyed that.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Hated him as a player, but loved him as a Manager at City and really did underachieve, but he had a bit of aura about him.

My best years of supporting City...european games....Moscow Torpedo....Hamburg...Real Madrid.....ye gods...he did not suffer fools gladly...but we had Toshack...Dean...Clarke...Ronnie Bird.....exciting football...not like the sterile stuff served up today....maybe it's my age.....he never got promoted...but he was a great motivator.....in those days we used to travel on the same train to away games...

Scoular, I think he terrified a few players …..and a few opposing managers, Brian Clough among them apparently. 9 years, he was here, you’d get a gold watch for that length of service now.