+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cesar Menotti RIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cesar Menotti RIP

Manager of Argentina in the crazy World Cup of 1978. Manager of Mexico later but I’ll always remember him chain smoking his way through that ‘78 campaign. Kempes, Luque, Passarella, Ardiles etc, the dubious 6-0 against Peru. What an eventful Junta run tournament that was. Aged 85, good innings for someone who practically lived on fags.

Re: Cesar Menotti RIP

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Manager of Argentina in the crazy World Cup of 1978. Manager of Mexico later but I’ll always remember him chain smoking his way through that ‘78 campaign. Kempes, Luque, Passarella, Ardiles etc, the dubious 6-0 against Peru. What an eventful Junta run tournament that was. Aged 85, good innings for someone who practically lived on fags.
    Christ he looked close to death in 1978

https://images.app.goo.gl/MHvK7nJ8r1JTgevW9

Stan !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Smokin 🚬

Argentina 78. One of the best World cups ever IMHO.
    All the paper "confetti", superb theme tune.
    Ally's army, Archie Gemmill's blinding goal against the Dutch, Jonny Rep's half way line thumderbolt, aforementioned Kempes and Luque... etc
    Bit sad for the Dutch, dodgy 6 nil aside, glad Argie's won it.

Of course we now realise just how bent the whole game of football was is and always will be

RIP Cesar M 🙏

He was a critic of the Colonels as well and so was probably under intense pressure for Argentina to succeed as you dread to think what the consequences of failure would have been for him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He was a critic of the Colonels as well and so was probably under intense pressure for Argentina to succeed as you dread to think what the consequences of failure would have been for him.
    He was, I recently read a book about him, he lived a pretty dangerous (to himself) life during those times. He had to win that World Cup or this RIP thread would have been written many years ago.

I'd forgotten about him-RIP

He was, I recently read a book about him, he lived a pretty dangerous (to himself) life during those times. He had to win that World Cup or this RIP thread would have been written many years ago.
    Have you ever seen the documentary on Andres Escobar, the Columbian defender assassinated for scoring an OG against the Yanks in 1994 WC?
    I never realised till I saw it that the reserve keeper’s brother was also assassinated after he let in 3 goals in the opening game against Romania.
    Ironically, he was only playing because there 1st choice keeper had been jailed, for his close involvement with Pablo Escobar.
    The Sth Americans are crazy. Think our players have got off lightly after the season we’ve had 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Have you ever seen the documentary on Andres Escobar, the Columbian defender assassinated for scoring an OG against the Yanks in 1994 WC?
    I never realised till I saw it that the reserve keeper’s brother was also assassinated after he let in 3 goals in the opening game against Romania.
    Ironically, he was only playing because there 1st choice keeper had been jailed, for his close involvement with Pablo Escobar.
    The Sth Americans are crazy. Think our players have got off lightly after the season we’ve had ����
    The season’s only just ended, there’s time!