+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Heineken to reopen 60 pubs in UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Heineken to reopen 60 pubs in UK

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Any news on where these 'new' pubs will be?
    And who will be going there to keep them open. Most pubs in my area are dead midweek, they close early or entirely on some days.

The ones in town aren't much better and get by off a busy weekend but even they must be struggling, one of the clubs used to be open every Thursday, I'd see people outside there 4am Friday as I was driving home, It's only open Friday and Saturday now and looks dead on a Saturday night when I pass between 9-11 depending on where I'm working, same as spoons etc they are only busy now if theres a big sporting event like rugby internationals or football, and even some of the local pubs are half what they used to be 10 years ago.

Pubs are great. But they need people to go in them to keep them open, and employing staff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    And who will be going there to keep them open. Most pubs in my area are dead midweek, they close early or entirely on some days.

The ones in town aren't much better and get by off a busy weekend but even they must be struggling, one of the clubs used to be open every Thursday, I'd see people outside there 4am Friday as I was driving home, It's only open Friday and Saturday now and looks dead on a Saturday night when I pass between 9-11 depending on where I'm working, same as spoons etc they are only busy now if theres a big sporting event like rugby internationals or football, and even some of the local pubs are half what they used to be 10 years ago.

Pubs are great. But they need people to go in them to keep them open, and employing staff etc.
    And this is exactly why pub drinking has to be made more financially attractive than cheaper ‘at home’ drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And this is exactly why pub drinking has to be made more financially attractive than cheaper ‘at home’ drinking.
    as a senior I like to have a beer, sit down and to be able to have conversation.

our local pubs are very busy, overcrowded, insufficient seating and expensive beer. it's the whole package which makes inviting friends over more appealing.

I also don't enjoy rowdy yobs using bad language and people out for a ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    as a senior I like to have a beer, sit down and to be able to have conversation.

our local pubs are very busy, overcrowded, insufficient seating and expensive beer. it's the whole package which makes inviting friends over more appealing.

I also don't enjoy rowdy yobs using bad language and people out for a ruck.
    Are pubs that bad your way?

Are pubs that bad your way?
    there are a few decent real ale pubs in Reading like the Nags Head but the ones in our village are not appealing for the reasons I mentioned. not enough places for too many people.

How would you cut the costs in a pub? Take it off the barrel price? Even then theres still higher staff wages, the electric bill etc.

Do you think supermarkets are just going to roll over and accept their prices being forced up and the backlash they'd get from their customers? Some people don't like drinking in the pub and like a cheap drink at home, what about them?

I think pubs are great and we need them in the community, but I don't think its as simple as you make out.