Middle lane hoggers. Passed about 9 in the left lane Saturday night going to work, as I reached the front of team lane hog the nearest vehicle ahead of me was a lorry some half a mile up the Motorway, there was one more car to my right to pass. I didn't leave the left lane and had the car on cruise control doing the limit 70mph. Absolutely no reason for any of them to be in the middle lane, the one leading them all tried to pull in front of me without indicating, they were just going to swerve in front of me so I give a single beep. If they'd come over I'd have to slow down to 60 and be boxed in by the other 8 cars following the idiot...the second time they moved over they did then use their indicator but I was ridiculously close to them at this point and it was dangerous. They still went for it, for some reason.
At this point I hit the horn hard and long and left my full beams on so they could see me. They swerved back, utterly unaware I was even there (even after the first friendly beep)

I don't generally moan about middle lane hoggers, usually move around them if its safe to do so, or on occasion I'll stay in the left lane and undertake but its usually only the one vehicle plodding along so its never really an issue.

Got thinking to myself once I'd stopped beeping at them for 30 seconds straight and they'd got back into their lane, was I in the right or wrong to be undertaking? I wouldn't have got past the 9 cars in the right doing 70 before someone wanted to pass me doing 80+ and thought the safest way to pass was doing the road limit in the left lane.

This was not too far after the change back to 70 after the 50 averages, so cars in the right were obviously speeding up to make up for the 2 minutes they'd lost doing 50.

Opinions?