+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Your working life.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Your working life.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve been working now for 44 yrs, and thinking of either retiring altogether, or semi retiring and getting a part time job.
    I can honestly say in all of those 44 yrs, I’ve never woken up once, and not wanted to go to my work because I didn’t like the job.
    I’ve woken up with stinking hangovers when I was younger, but always managed to struggle through the day.
    Including the job I’m doing now, I’ve had 3 spanning over those 44 yrs.
    Has anyone on here ever had a job that they disliked so much, that they’ve woken up and not wanted to turn in ?
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.
    My uncle is in his 70s Sold his business years ago to retire and now works 5 days a week for other people in the trade, or sometimes picks up other odd jobs. He won't sit in the house, he had a few months of walking etc and got restless and he's back doing full time hours

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Not necessarily. I have joined a few groups (unusual for me as I'm not a 'herd' person) since retiring full-time 3 years ago and have not only increased my social circle but it's easier to get meet up with existing friends both near and far.

I would say that retiring part-time for a few years is a good intermediary step but if you have plenty of interests you may eventually feel that even part-time work is stopping you from doing some of the things you have always wanted to do.

I was immersed in my work when I was employed but haven't given it a second thought since I retired full-time - and I'm getting around to doing things I put on the back burner for many years due to limited annual leave.

And the joy of no meetings, no emails, no bosses, no performance targets, no frustration with one's senior management etc is beyond measure. It's unadulterated liberty!

Don't leave it too long to retire as ill-health or the Grim Reaper may strike at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not necessarily. I have joined a few groups (unusual for me as I'm not a 'herd' person) since retiring full-time 3 years ago and have not only increased my social circle but it's easier to get meet up with existing friends both near and far.

I would say that retiring part-time for a few years is a good intermediary step but if you have plenty of interests you may eventually feel that even part-time work is stopping you from doing some of the things you have always wanted to do.

I was immersed in my work when I was employed but haven't given it a second thought since I retired full-time - and I'm getting around to doing things I put on the back burner for many years due to limited annual leave.

And the joy of no meetings, no emails, no bosses, no performance targets, no frustration with one's senior management etc is beyond measure. It's unadulterated liberty!

Don't leave it too long to retire as ill-health or the Grim Reaper may strike at any time.
    Walking groups wasn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Walking groups wasn't it ?
    As in Ron Davies “badger watching” walks in the woodlands of the South West?